Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Never Forget 343

bendingoak

Vendor
I can't believe another years has gone by. I'm sure most of everyone knows by now that I was originally from the "Big Apple." I lived there for the first 33 years of my life and always wanted to be a New York City firemen since I was 5. I had the honor to know a few of the guys from Rescue 1 and was very supportive when I was taking all the test to just make the list. They where there for me from the moment I put in my application to when I got the letter to start the academy. It took a total of 8 years from the point of the application until they starting calling people. The FDNY had the biggest list prior to 9/11. My list was 42,631 deep. The guys from rescue one kept my spirits up and would offer to pay any of the fees that was needed to take the test. I don't think I could have done it without their support. It went a long way.

I worked as personal trainer in a near by gym and would see them almost every day. They would ask me to go with them on ride-a-longs and if they ever saw me walking home they would give me a lift home ( at the time I lived right down the block from them). I got dragged to a few fires because of it but that was ok. Thats where I wanted to be anyway.

When I did finally got the letter to start in the FDNY I had moved out west 4 months before for my wife's job. I had to turn down the FDNY 2 days before my start date. It was the hardest thing I had to do. Now being out west and had to start the whole thing from scratch I used their strength of character to get though all the training. I had to start a little older than most guys but got though everything and enjoyed every moment.

I wanted to share this with everyone here so they know a little something about these guys that meant so much to me. They gave so much so I think we should remember them this day of September 11
Firefighter Patrick O'Keefe Rescue1
O_KEEFP.gif

Battalion Chief John Moran Battalion 49
MORANJ.gif

Lieutenant Dennis Mojica Rescue 1
MOJICAD.gif

Captain Terrance Hattan Resue 1
HATTON.gif

Captain Patrick Brown Ladder 3
BROWNP.gif

Firefighter Joseph Angelini sr. Rescue 1
ANGELI.gif

Please visit Rescue 1's web site to see some of the others and the great history that they where a part of.
http://www.rescue1fdny.com/index.html

The biggest regret I have is not going fishing with my friend Patrick. I will miss him and all the guys that I now call fallen brothers.

Please don't forget what they did on that day.

John

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am woefully aware of what today represents here are a couple of my childhood friends :(

2424920221_b33e9bbcd5.jpg

Vin_Princiotta.jpg

I just didn't happen to be in the building that day. I was there for the February 26, 1993 car bombing.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was just 4 blocks from ground zero that day. My office building was engulfed in the clouds of dust and debris that were caused when the towers collapsed. I walked home over the Brooklyn Bridge hours later, with gray dust all over my feet. I always say I was as close as you could be and still be far enough away.
Anyhow, I've always felt there should be a special memorial to those brave individuals who were going UP the stairs, while everyone else was going DOWN.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
the whole event has been prominent on my mind today and i said a pray ( i dont often!) for all those there, involved, tne list is huge as it touched all our lives and continues to...
i was serving in HMF when it happened, in the sgts mess it still feels unreal. the ripple effect was so sureal..

thank you for sharing your personal stories. Esp you bendingoak, how honoured you were to havesuch men/friends in your life..and they will surely be looking down happy your safe (fate saved you for a reason!) as hard as that may seeem sometimes...ive had a few "near misses" and lost colleges so i do understand. xx

i have a close friend whos birthday is today and he and his wife planned to go to new york for his 40th, due to a family comitments they went in april instead and stood in the foyers of both towers...his 40th was the day the planes hit!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I may be Canadian...

...but I am the proud girlfriend of a service member who has bravely gone overseas to protect my freedom and the freedom of my country. I am so proud of him for what he does and what all the men and women in uniform do. They do the job that so many cannot. To the brave firefighters, police officers and civilians, may you rest in peace in the hopes that someday, people everywhere will know true and lasting peace.

God Bless America.

New York Fire Dept. Peter Freund lost his life in one of the Tower collapses. He was my cousin on my dad's side. He really found what he wanted to do when he became a fireman and died trying to save others.

Story

I'll Lock Up
*martini*time* said:
...but I am the proud girlfriend of a service member who has bravely gone overseas to protect my freedom and the freedom of my country.

We're glad to have allies like him. All of them.

dmlut2.jpg

An e-mail message from an Ensign stationed aboard the USS Winston Churchill...

Dear Dad,

Well, we are still out at sea, with little direction as to what our next priority is. The remainder of our port visits, which were to be centered on max liberty and goodwill to the United Kingdom, has all but been cancelled.

We have spent every day since the attacks going back and forth within imaginary boxes drawn in the ocean, standing high-security watches, and trying to make the best of our time. It hasn't been that fun I must confess, and to be even more honest, a lot of people are frustrated at the fact that they either can't be home, or we don't have more direction right now. We have seen the articles and the photographs, and they are sickening. Being isolated as we are, I don't think we appreciate the full scope of what is happening back home, but we are definitely feeling the effects.

About two hours ago the junior officers were called to the bridge to conduct Ship handling drills. We were about to do a man overboard when we got a call from the LUTJENS(D185), a German warship that was moored ahead of us on the pier in Plymouth, England. While in port, the WINSTON S CHURCHILL and the LUTJENS got together for a sports day/cookout on our fantail, and we made some pretty good friends.

Now at sea they called over on bridge-to-bridge, requesting to pass us close up on our port side, to say goodbye. We prepared to render them honors on the bridge wing, and the Captain told the crew to come topside to wish them farewell. As they were making their approach, our Conning Officer announced through her binoculars that they were flying an American flag. As they came even closer, we saw that it was flying at half-mast. The bridge wing was crowded with people as the Boatswain's Mate blew two whistles- Attention to Port- the ship came up alongside and we saw that the entire crew of the German ship were manning the rails, in their dress blues. They had made
up a sign that was displayed on the side that read "We Stand By You".

Needless to say there was not a dry eye on the bridge as they stayed alongside us for a few minutes and we cut our salutes. It was probably the most powerful thing I have seen in my entire life and more than a few of us fought to retain our composure. It was a beautiful day outside today. We are no longer at liberty to divulge over unsecured e-mail our location, but we could not have asked for a finer day at sea. The German Navy did an incredible thing for this crew, and it has truly been the highest point in the days since the attacks. It's amazing to think that only a half-century ago things were quite different, and to see the unity that is being demonstrated throughout Europe and the world makes us all feel proud to be out here doing our job. After the ship pulled away and we prepared to begin our man overboard drills the Officer of the Deck turned to me and said, "I'm staying Navy."

I'll write you when I know more about when I'll be home, but for now, this is probably the best news that I could send you.

bendingoak

Vendor
I had a chief from my department say on his retirement party. " you are heroes because of the willingness of putting on the uniform and doing the job"

They could have died in bed as old men and still have been true heroes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24