Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW A-2 DUBOW vs ROUGHWEAR (AERO vs LW vs RMNZ)

RHODEO

New in Town
Hi sorry to do this , i did not know how to refresh my last thread.

NEW A-2 PURCHASE! ANY AND ALL OPINIONS/ADVICE WELCOME

Hi all,

Thanks once again for all this valuable feedback.

I have a few more questions though to finally make up my mind.

I have now rehashed my options and along with that came the new questions:

AERO
Aero 38-1711-P Type A-2 Lost contract (Seal Brown HH) (AERO SCOTLAND)
- I LIKE: all the unique features of this particular contract, fit, nice hides, nice red knits
- Q’S: Are there any fittings issues? Ring Snaps vs Nipple Snaps etc., etc

Approx Price: £400 + £50 = £450 x 14 = ZAR 6300

DUBOW
Dubow (Collar Stand) - Lost Worlds (NY)
- I LIKE: strong hides, and good construction
- Q’S: Are there any fittings issues?
- colours (knits, can he do them in deep reddish orange as per GoodWear), as well as contrast stitching as per GW
- Knits, are they strong like AERO and RMNZ and not ELC?
- Seal Brown with orangey knits?
- Leather (maybe too heavy)?

Approx Price: US$875 + US$50 = US$ 925 x 6.7 = ZAR 6200

Dubow – Goodwear
- I LIKE: attention to detail
- Q’S: Do you make a collar stand version?
- Labels, can you provide original ones (stating orig manuf name instead of "Goodwear"?
- Knits, are they strong like AERO and RMNZ and not ELC?
- Seal Brown with orangey knits?

Approx Price: US$880 + US$50 = US$ 930 x 6.7 = ZAR 6231

ROUGHWEAR vs DUBOW
RMNZ - I LIKE: attention to detail, Everything said about them , here and everywhere else.
- Q’S: RoughWear vs Dubow, which has neater fit/cut (Square shoulders, slim fit, nice
length sleeves,etc)?
- Dubow - Colours (can they do them in deep reddish orange as per Goodwear), as well as contrast stitching as per GW

Approx Price: NZ$1300 + NZ$0 = NZ$ 1300 x 5.1 = ZAR 6643

RHODEO

New in Town
Hi Juanito, RMNZ rating???

RMNZ rating???

Quote:

If you want the most durable jacket, buy the Lost Worlds Dubow. Yes, Stuart is "difficult" to deal with at best, but the jacket wears like iron and is a fairly accurate reproduction. You have tradeoffs when you are asking for the durability: you trade a period cotton taped zipper for a nylon tapped zipper. Lost Worlds glues the seams (at least they used to) and sews them with a very duarable thread. The leather is a heavy 3.5 oz or so--But the jacket will never come apart. The shell is unbelievaby durable.

The finish is entirely waterproof, too

If you are looking for accuracy, go with the Chapman/Goodwear A-2. That will be what I buy next, and I will be buying at least 2.

The Aero is a good solid jacket, but the inaccuracies or the components (cuff design, etc) are too much for me to swallow.

I have had several Eastman jackets. IMHO, the quality of construction and the materials (excluding the leather) are first rate. I do not think I have had a repro jacket that was as consistent with originals in terms of components (hopefully the Goodwear will outclass the Eastman), by that being said, you get knit that wears out quickly, just like most original jackets.

You are right, though--I was never happy with the cut of the jacket or the varied explanation for the cut or "resizing."

The thing that I always said was that I would like to have Eastman assemble a jacket with their components, using Lost Worlds leather, using a dead on accurate issue pattern.

I would narrow it down to the Dubow and the Goodwear, and choose based on leather finish.

Hi Juanito
What do you think of the RMNZ jackets? Roughwear and Dubow's Do you perhaps knw if they make the collar stand Dubow? Which in your opinion is the neater fitting between the two?

RHODEO

New in Town
Hi John Chapman, Dubow on ur site?, Labels?

Dubow on ur site, Labels

Quote:

I hope you're able to find just what you're looking for. I'm John Chapman of Good Wear Leather.

I just completed a pattern from an original Rough Wear 18091 and I was able to take it apart and get the exact shape of each piece. The Rough Wear A-2s truly are beautiful jackets, and they're a bit more complex than most, even with collar stands - a great amount of thought was put into the design.

Here's a test jacket I made from that pattern, and I'll soon have labels for it as well...

I'm also making a copy of Aero's 16160 contract which was done before WWII started for the U.S. It's made with a collar stand, square pockets but rounded pocket flaps, and it's got s very smart look. I made this one a bit big for myself, but you see what the shape is like. I'll also have a Good Wear label for the jackets this week. This is a test jacket, made with cowhide, so production jackets will be done in horsehide...

Good luck in the search, and hopefully you find just what you're looking for.

John

Hi John,

I had a look at the Dubow on ur site. That is the way i would like my jacket to fit. Nice square shoulders, maybe a bit more length in the arms. Do you do those with the proper labels? What leather was used on that particular jckt ?(what would you call that colour)? Do you have an example (pic) of ur seal brown colour ? and the knits? (Is that the colour you refer to as the reddish orange?) http://home.comcast.net/~jchapman200...w7/dubow7.html

RHODEO

New in Town
Hi dadgad, do you have pics PLEASE?

do you have pics PLEASE

Quote:
I only own one A-2 jacket and it is an Aero 1938 repro from Aeroleather Scotland, tailored upon my measurements, got it in 5 weeks from the day of the order and I can't really think of anything better, I've recently been in Japan and I've seen around in Tokyo's Ueno shops a lot of repros brands from The Few to
Lost Worlds or Real McCoy and so on, none of them match my Aero 1938 contract.
I never had the chance to see and touch personally a Goodwear jacket but considering what emerges from any of the comments that I read so far and also from the pictures (John did a great CD with a lot of pics both from repros and originals btw) I believe that also with Goodwear you wouldn't go wrong!

I really like this jacket on paper /description, all the little unique details (ie the topsticthing on both seams of the sleeves etc). What colour is yours (hide/knits), size? Do you have some detailed pics as well as some of where ur wearing it to get some sort of perspective of fit. I'd really appreciate that .thanks

Paden

Vendor
RHODEO said:
Dubow on ur site, Labels

Quote:

I hope you're able to find just what you're looking for. I'm John Chapman of Good Wear Leather.

I just completed a pattern from an original Rough Wear 18091 and I was able to take it apart and get the exact shape of each piece. The Rough Wear A-2s truly are beautiful jackets, and they're a bit more complex than most, even with collar stands - a great amount of thought was put into the design.

Here's a test jacket I made from that pattern, and I'll soon have labels for it as well...

I'm also making a copy of Aero's 16160 contract which was done before WWII started for the U.S. It's made with a collar stand, square pockets but rounded pocket flaps, and it's got s very smart look. I made this one a bit big for myself, but you see what the shape is like. I'll also have a Good Wear label for the jackets this week. This is a test jacket, made with cowhide, so production jackets will be done in horsehide...

Good luck in the search, and hopefully you find just what you're looking for.

John

Hi John,

I had a look at the Dubow on ur site. That is the way i would like my jacket to fit. Nice square shoulders, maybe a bit more length in the arms. Do you do those with the proper labels? What leather was used on that particular jckt ?(what would you call that colour)? Do you have an example (pic) of ur seal brown colour ? and the knits? (Is that the colour you refer to as the reddish orange?) http://home.comcast.net/~jchapman200...w7/dubow7.html

Hi,

is that the commercial break??????

Feraud

Bartender
RHODEO, I have combined your three threads to keep the information together.
Please use the post reply button at the bottom left side of the screen to update the thread with information and requests.

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot