Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Air Force Uniforms to be made by Brooks Brothers

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
Well yes....but our entire Air Force does not have the style to wear that, although maybe they should. ;)
These guys pull it off pretty well.
060331-F-9999D-009.jpg

I'm not sure I have the legs for it, but I'm game!

On the issue of trousers vs. skirts, part of the argument against is that women end up having to buy both skirts and trousers, while men just have to buy trousers. I'm sure skirts in certain duty positions and climates are not an attractive option for the ladies, and their comfort and convenience come at a price to them.

Jovan

Suspended
I think they have rain covers on them or something, Cobden. The L85 used to be a really bad rifle, but it's gotten a lot better. Can't say the same in the 40 years the AR15 system has been around in the States...

Mike K.

One Too Many
I like the look of the new uniforms, even though I won't be wearing them. However, I do wonder when the regs are going to change that limit how many ribbons can be worn on the chest. From the looks of this picture, a few high-ranking officers may be eventually wearing their silver wings somewhere on the back of their shoulder.
060515-F-0055L-005.JPG

...and I still say bring back the winged star emblem on the left sleeve!

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
I have been trying to talk my wife into letting me spend the $1000 for the Brooks Brothers jacket, but she is having none of that. Sadly, until I can put aside a grand, I will have to make due with the issue one.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Slightly off topic, but I'm considering joining the Air Force... perhaps you'll see me in one of those natty dress blues some day. :)
Cross into the Blue, Jovan! As proud as I am of having been a Marine first, I've never regretted the last 14 years I've spent in the Air National Guard and the Air Force Reserves. At 23 years and counting, I still love it.

Weston

A-List Customer
Willi_Goat said:
I have been trying to talk my wife into letting me spend the $1000 for the Brooks Brothers jacket, but she is having none of that. Sadly, until I can put aside a grand, I will have to make due with the issue one.

Good gravy is that how much they cost?!? Well, no such luck on a reserve Second Lieutenant's salary. :(

Jovan

Suspended
Mojave Jack said:
Cross into the Blue, Jovan! As proud as I am of having been a Marine first, I've never regretted the last 14 years I've spent in the Air National Guard and the Air Force Reserves. At 23 years and counting, I still love it.
I was considering joining the Marines, but let's just say that I definitely will not (at least not with the recruiter I talked to) after he proceeded to harrass me on my voicemail, text message inbox, and Facebook. All because I decided not to join and mentioned in passing that I talked to an ex-Marine. :rolleyes: That's so professional of him. I might add, he said something to the extent of, "Call me when you decide to wake up." Does he really still expect to get commission from me? Come on.

Doc

New in Town
Hummm the new uniform looks like an old one they hade about 3 or 4 years back. However they didn’t have a belt. When those where phased out they adopted a blue blazer coat. No breast pockets, no belt, no shoulder loops either, you looked like a business men with flare on you. Have to say though this uniform looks better than another proposed uniform that was modeled after the stand up collar tunic of the early 1900’s.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Don't know...

...why the change. Nobody ever wears them. Even before 9-11, people hardly ever wore them. Waste of time and money changing them. They will never come up with a coat and tie uniform that the troops will like. Ever.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
The fact that they're mostly polyester, ill-fitting and require shirt garters doesn't help. I like my shirt to have a nice bloused look, but those infernal shirt garters that are required rear with service dress are a massive pain, literally.

Switch to a higher wool content, cut the jackets properly, come up with a decent shirt garter, change the pattern to something less run-of-the-mill generic, and they'll see more use.

It's a sign of the times, as well, as our society is becoming more and more casual. A BDU, informal and baggy as it is, is far more comfortable and approachable than service dress.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Cobden said:
Is it just me, or do the rifles they carry look like s*i*e?

Yes they do. But any rifle with a sight unit and covers on doesn't look good. I don't recall the SMLE, No4, No 5 or SLR being fitted with a telescopic sight and breech covers for drill or parade, so why the L85 has to be fitted with a SUSAT and cover I don't know.

Perhaps they should have retained the L1A1 as a drill rifle.

Alan

Hondo

One Too Many
Well no not bad, if your planning on Intergalactic space travel, (Galactica is the name of that tv show) maybe too the moon as Ralph Kramden would say (Pow right in the kisser!) :rolleyes: The blue uniforms wasn't bad, just an opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo