Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Alexanders Roadster - Black Chrome Excel Steer

Plumbline

One Too Many
Very similar in style to the Highwayman ... and a typical 1930's - 50's style.

Modifications - Weathered Gordon Strome weight lining.
Two inside pockets
3" bottom moleskin panel
Moleskin pocket bags
std sleeves ( this will be used on my bike)

Now before ANYONE starts .... there are two things I should point out.

1. This is NOT a leather company ad .... nor is it a shill post ... it's simply one of my new jackets. If you want to gripe and moan about things regarding leather jacket manufacturers please do it elsewhere ... this is simply the posts re. my new jacket which I like very much.

2. I DONT LIKE a 1920's or 30's or 40's fit, strange for a frequenter of the lounge I know but I prefer a modern interpretation rather than a accurate facsimile .... I'm not built like a guy from the 20's, 30's or 40's ... I like a little bit of room and enough space to wear a jumper if need be .. and perhaps even move my arms freely. It fits as I WANT it to fit .... by all means comment on the jacket BUT I DONT NEED OR WANT YOUR COMMENTS ON THE FIT .... I'm happy with the fit, YOUR view on the fit is neither important nor relevant and will be ignored ( positive or negative). It's NEW it was made to my measurements and it is exactly as I wanted it to be.

Now that the annoying stuff is out the way here's the jacket .... again mighty fine it is too, easilly comparable to my 2 Aero Highwayman ( of which I have owned 6 in total over 20 years). Janet ... super seamstress did the making! The leather mic's up again at approx 3-3.5oz (1.26 - 1.31mm) and is tough but pliable and really nice to wear ... not much to say about the colour .. it's black ... very black ... and a little bit shiney.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well I like the tartan, that's for sure. So by process of elimination that's a 50's or 60's design? I've a question I've a few jackets with cinches or halfbelts up high, right at the waist. And other's like this one (particularly my Vanson Ike), with the cinches down low at the belt line. Which do you prefer and why? Just curious.

Worf

PS - I know you said not to mention it but I like the fit anyway and black's not a bad color on you (no pun intended).

Plumbline

One Too Many
I never liked really short jackets .. I wouldn't want it any shorter .... It'd then feels like I was wearing a Bolero jacket. It's one of the reasons I don't really like A2's .. sort of too short and too neat ( and elastic cuffs and bottoms really niggle) ..... it's a personal thing, I love the "look" of short jackets on others but they just feel too small on me.

Regarding Cinches .... Halfbelt styles ( cynch at the belt or waist .. depending on how you liike to wear them) are great and possibly my preference over this style, Aero Highwayman and the Aero Longshoreman. It's easy to give a good shape on the halfbelt styles whereas fit is much more critical on the bottom cynch styles.

Overall I can see the benefits of both .... but for my shape the halfbelt works better I think.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Alfred Sargent's .... "D ring" chukka boot (single D ring) ... they're old(ish) but still possibly the most comfortable boots I have .... an they match the jacket really well being of very similar leather :)

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Alfred Sargent's .... "D ring" chukka boot (single D ring) ... they're old(ish) but still possibly the most comfortable boots I have .... an they match the jacket really well being of very similar leather :)

Thanks. Alfred Sargent aren't the easiest footwear to find in the states, but Brooks Brothers sometimes has AS produce shoes for their Peal and Co. line of footwear. I actually have a pair of black AS for BB chukka boots in a pebble-grained black. I like them a lot and would love a brown pair.

winterland1

Practically Family
I think it looks great. Looks like black is making a comeback here. I see you love inside pockets too. I only have one on mine but I have 2 front zip pockets so we are good. I for some reason feel more comfortable with important things in the inside pockets.

Plumbline

One Too Many
No .. here's my new jacket ... don't tell me it doesn't fit ( cause it does) ... and don't use it or my thread as an excuse to bash it's makers ( because it isn't about them )!

But then HD why let the truth get in the way of a good story huh !!!!!!

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm one of those guys who like a '20s-'30s cut a lot and prefer a slim fit but as you say, de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum. But it looks good on you, a fine jacket going by the pictures and it drapes beautifully for such a heavy leather, I'm amazed. Like the moleskine band and the tartan, I know it's asking a lot but any chance of posting a pic that shows some details of the stitching?

I'm a bit surprised that various people mentioned on the boards that black is a rare colour to be seen, instinctively I'd have thought everyone ordered a black jacket as a first. At least I did, can be worn on anything and looks stylish too.

Enjoy your jacket!

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I like your warning at the start. It made me laugh. You're totally right because you're happy with it - some people are still making up their minds on a purchase but you're not. I have the Roadster in black horse from Alexander Leathers sale page and will post up some decent pics when I get round to it. I had been through a number of brown jackets and wanted to try a black again. I think black is making a resurgence in recent times - or at least on FL any way.

Scotia_steve

New in Town
The black Horween is nice - I've got the cafe racer (red lining) in it, Roadster (brown Horween) and Speigel (brown horween). My black norweigen horse hide roadster is good for summer (significantly lighter and good for me in London), and love my buffalo hide roadster with moleskin lining!

Big tip, check out the Mongolian horse hide cafe racer or Indiana - WOW!

Never thought I'd get into these jackets so much - my wife is starting to complain about wardrobe space :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff