Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Amelia Earhart Movie

texasgirl

One Too Many
They are currently filming a new movie about Amelia Earhart, starring Hilary Swank. This sounds good! Not much on imdb yet, Richard Gere plays George Putnam, her husband.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1129445/

hilary-swank-no-eyebrows-01.jpg

dman

New in Town
In general I feel like the Earhart legend is throughly overlooked. You'd think she'd be a prime candidate for the focus of many creative endeavors. This might be a good start. However, it seems to be aiming for blockbuster.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Should be a great storyline for a movie.

Along these lines, is it just me or do others think there is a recent surge in new movies being made that are set in the 20's and 30's?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Wow, interesting! I like Hilary Swank and think she's a good choice.

I am fascinated by Amelia's disappearance. However, I'm torn on viewing her as a role model. She was a pioneer in that she did many things that were deemed unsuitable for women at the time, but I personally feel she was lacking as a pilot. I think she just bit off more than she could chew.

Still, great storyline for a movie!

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
Speaking as an historian, the general view today is that she was not the skilled pilot that she was made out to be at the time. She was teh subject of a great deal of favorable press that built up the famous aviatrix image, but it was not an accurate picture by any means.

Caledonia

Practically Family
There's an Amelia Earhart suitcase on Ebay at the moment. Is it ok to say that here? It's not me, just thought I'd let folks know. Sorry, move me if it's not ok.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
No lie about 3-4 years ago a woman came through my line at work. She handed me her check and it said Amelia Earhart. I had a "no way" look on my face and she said she was indeed related. I forgot if she was her Grand daughter or what. All I know is she has decendants in Cerritos Calif.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I have to say I'm a Hillary Swank fan. She seems able to really pull off any role she plays. I'm convinced she'll do a good job as Earhart. I've always been fascinated with the Earhart story, I wonder how the movie will portray her fate.

Twitch

I'm reluctant to imagine that a movie is even appropriate other than for sheer entertainment. Myriad documentaries have been produced and dozens of books written all with conflicting vague fate guestimates. How else can it end other than the Lockheed Electra heading out into the open sky and ocean. :eusa_doh:

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Hello all

I am new to the Forum and as a point of interest in this thread, I am the Airplane Wrangler and Aerial Coordianter for the movie.
An an Aviation Historian, I will say that the movie will be quite accurate to the era and Hilary Swank is doing quite well at portraying Amelia.

Fleet16b

59Lark

Practically Family
amelia movie filming in dunnville ont Canada.

i was coming home from taking my wife out for mothers day and i heard on the radio, a request for 300 extras for the movie of amelia earhardt being filmed in dunnville, near here. The story always interested me, and i remember finding a dusty volume at the library, the author was convinced that amelia wasnt as dumb as the public was lead to believe and she was doing recon for the president and ended up on a island held by the japanese and was held for some time before dying. Also he noted what effort the president put into looking for her. For the time the largest search and rescue effort ever put together for just two people. No i am not buying the version put on star trek voyagoer. oh by the way , she drove franklin automobile, remember that was the one with a aircooled motor. lark59

texasgirl

One Too Many
fleet16b said:
Hello all

I am new to the Forum and as a point of interest in this thread, I am the Airplane Wrangler and Aerial Coordianter for the movie.
An an Aviation Historian, I will say that the movie will be quite accurate to the era and Hilary Swank is doing quite well at portraying Amelia.

Fleet16b

How exciting! Please keep us posted :)

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Texasgirl

At present I have a Lockheed 12, a Ford Tri Motor and a Lockheed Electra in town to shoot some scenes.
We just wrapped up a scene last Friday that included Hilary, Ewen MacGreger and Richard Gere. All very nice people.
I took Hilary flying in my Fleet 16 which I will fly as her double in the movie.
She has had some lessons and is quite capable when flying an airplane.
Sorry I can't post pics at this time as the Prod Compnay wants to keep her appearance as Amelia under wraps.
Please feel free to ask me questions.
I will answer what I can

Fleet16b

Twitch

59Lark- Unfortunately that theory is conjecture along with several dozen other logical and not so logical outcomes that have come forth over the decades. [huh]

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I think they are becoming pretty desperate for extras as they are now advertising for them on the tv's in the subway!
my bf never heard back, i am assuming because he is asian and they were mostly looking for whities.

RIOT

Practically Family
sixsexsix said:
I think they are becoming pretty desperate for extras as they are now advertising for them on the tv's in the subway!
my bf never heard back, i am assuming because he is asian and they were mostly looking for whities.

I am pretty sure they had Asians back then. Oh well, their loss! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner