Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW HAT Sizing Question

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
I recently received a hat from VS actually about a week ago now. Realistically it's really not even broken in yet as far as wearing it. I have a concern with it though, I had been undergoing chemo treatments and obviously have lost what little hair I have left, temporarily. My concern is this, I can't complain about the fit now, it is nice, a little snug, but once my hair comes back fully, it could be a problem. I purchased a "stretcher" and I guess what I am asking is this, would there be a problem to stretch this hat just a bit, not talking a size, but just enough to accommodate my hair, a little sloppy fitting? Any thoughts or advice on this would sure be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
wcbrown, when you say you bought a block do you mean one of Art's band blocks? My first hat from Art was slightly snug because I had the conformer a little too tight but I had Art make a band block for me that was just a slight amount larger than the hat's diameter and now if it snugs up on me I just put the band block in the hat, let it sit for a day or two and its perfect again. No need for major stretching if it will be just snug when your hair grows in. Now if the hat is headache tight might be a different story.

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
one of the available "stretchers" I should have been a little more clear on that, sorry about that. not headache tight, but it is snug and I am just a bit concerned about the difference my hair may make.

I use stretchers & band blocks with all my hats, even the customs. Sweat on the sweatband will make them draw some as the evaporation takes oils out of the leather. I have a couple of Hat Jacks as well as vintage hat stretchers. Stretching a tad is fine, going up a size can distort the brim but can be gradually coaxed into a hat.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Bill, if you need to use the stretcher later I would understand but a better solution might be to have a band block made and then, once your hair grows out, I'll make another slightly larger so suit both possibilities. Sound fair? That way it takes the guesswork out of the equation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24