Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New here, but many moons an A-2 freak!

WHAT A GREAT SITE!

Nice to know I am not THAT crazy and obviously not alone!
Always figured I'd be slighly mad to own more jackets than I could possibly wear ....at the same time I mean....It just would not fit.

Then came another job, another place to live and a new girlfriend.
All my jackets, hats, zippo's and jeep parts were mothballed.
I nearly sold it all a few years ago.

Right Now the missus is gone, took a relaxter job and moved to a new appartment.
Then I stumbeled on this site and BOOOM!.....a love rekindled!

Soooo here I am contemplating a buying a new A-2, unpacking all the hats, jackets and other stuff. (+ a few bottles of single malt Islay whisky (Laproaigh) that I forgot all about ....what a nice surprise!l)

Thanx to all you gents, who have posted so abundantly and shared so much wonderfull info and pictures on many good things in life, but especially leather flight jackets and fedora hats!

I enjoyed the hell outof browsing the site this weekend!

cheers, Dex

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome captaindex! You're in good company here. Unpack that stuff, photograph it and let's have a look! We're all as curious and fanatical as you!

Ok, box unpacked: some pics

Here are 2 of my A2's
The first one is a steerhide Cirrus with a shortened back and some really jerky back piece.

2nd one is my goatskin USAF 1990"s issue A2.
Its cut "modern "style, so oversized.
It is a size 40 R
Measurements are:

Front 58 cm, 22 3/4"
Back low 58.5 cm , 23"
Back high 52 cm , 20 1/2"
Front length incl. cuff 55 cm , 21 1/2"
Back lenght incl. cuff 58 cm , 22 3/4"
cuff: 7 cm , 2 3/4"
shoulder 17.5 cm , 6 2/3"

Lets see if this works.

detail

detail

detail

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dex31amsterdam/detail?.dir=/5ea2scd&.dnm=c9fdscd.jpg&.src=ph

detail

Dex

HerbertJohnson Indy

Ok that seems to work.
If I'd only known one can watch all opics wiyh just 1 link....Oh well.

Anyway: here are some pics of a few of my hats.
- Indy's fedora by Herbert Johnson of London
- John Steeds bowler by Christies of London
- 50 mission crushcap - original (I think..?) Imperial headwear inc. Denver

detail

Man oh man....lots of memories cooming back unpacking all this stuff...
There's more where this came from!

I have got a "Docter who" leather lookalike jacket somewhere. Its an original Dutch leather Police jacket from the 50"s? In mint condition.

Zippo's , Police + Federal badges, 2 Burberry trenchcoats (dark blue and khaki), a custom made navyblue Peacoat....

I guess I gots me sum more uploadin' t' do.

Enjoy, Dex

Ahooah!

Yeah, let gits me sum' Dubow on my back Marine!
(Judging from your handle and build - 54(!), I take it that you are a marine...)

Thanx for the info and VERY VERY cool Pic's.
heh heh heh.....a size 46 label , just cause they don't make em in 54! LOL!

Your Dubow looks like a million $$$!!
I talked to Paddy today and she seems to know what she is doing.
Even proposed I could return a non fitting jacket to have it replaced or refunded!

Thanks a lot for the info so far and I Will keep you all updated!

Semper Fi! AirfrogUSMC.

Dex (RNLMC)

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Yeah an old jarhead. Really got into weight lifting and kept it up till a few years ago. Now lotsa 12 oz curls as you can see by the waistline.

Paddy knows her stuff and will fit you PERFECT. McCpys stopped offering this drum rolled stuff a while back bet the russet they are using now is just outstanding. Good luck and keep us posted...
S/F

Better Duck

New in Town
Welcome from Drenthe too!

Hi there captaindex!

Just beat you to this site by a couple of weeks, and maybe to this site too:
http://cornellsurgery.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php: take a look at it, it is a flightjacket dedicated forum, where you'll find a lot of the regulars of the Fedora Lounge as well, they intermingle just fine.

Your story is my story, except for the girlfriend that went. The last time that happened is almost two decades ago and now I am a happily married man with a wife who tolerates my jacketfetish kindly, though sometimes sighing, when she catches sight of the bill. I save up for them from my pocket money though, so she shouldn't (and doesn't) complain.
As to the whisky: I have a bottle of cask-strenght Laproigh in my cubbord, together with Bowmore, Isle of Jura, Springtown, Glenlivet to name of few. Great stuff, but the Laphroigh beats them as far as "an acquiered taste" goes!:p
IMG_1610.jpg

Welcome to the forum,

Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou