Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New here

Alchemy5150

New in Town
Hey everyone. I just got into Fedoras a few years ago. Actually, I can attribute that to Freddy from A Nightmare on Elm Street. I started doing a yearly costume and started noticing all of the different hat's he had donned.
I'm glad I found this place in that my friends are probably tired of hearing me drone on about hats. I'm trying to learn about the different brands and styles of classic fedoras (mostly golden age...when the brims start going "stingy" I lose interest). After messing around in hat stores and on e-bay, I've found that I have very specific tastes as far as style, width, and height. The crown has got to be at least 4 1/2 inches (preferably 5''), the brim has got to be at least 2", and it's got to have a nice downturn to it. Also, I prefer a tapered crown. For example, I watch old Bogart movies and want nearly every hat I see.

Anyway, just a few questions:

Is there any books or websites anyone could recommend for learning about classic fedoras?

What type or brand hats were used in movies such as The Big Sleep or The Maltese Falcon?

For some reason, a lot of newer hat makers have reduced the crown height to 4 inches. Any reason?

Thanks

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge, you will get hooked on this place. This place is choked with hat knowledge and with the search feature you will have all those questioned answered 100 times over.

hollowpond

One of the Regulars
I'm pretty new here myself, but welcome anyways!! Like everyone said, theres a wealth of information. In the short time I have been here there hasn't been a question I've had that the search feature couldn't answer.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome.....

Glad to see you joined. As many others have suggested, do some searching within the "Hat" forum. If there's something specific you're looking for, type it in the drop down search box. Have fun. ;)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I've found that that the best way to search the forum is to try the advance search title only function first. Welcome -

Rick Blaine

Howdy Al'. Glad to see you here. For what it's worth, I have found the advanced search function on GOOGLE gets me mo' better results more often than the TFL search function does. Sounds like you got it bad, pal. Join the club!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Alchemy5150 said:
What type or brand hats were used in movies such as The Big Sleep or The Maltese Falcon?

For some reason, a lot of newer hat makers have reduced the crown height to 4 inches. Any reason?

Thanks

The hat I used to try and copy Bogart was the Stetson Chatham, because it has a C-crown. But when I compare my hat to the films I find that the Chatham is not so good because the crown is too low, the ribbon is too thin and the crease is too perfect, not like Bogart's which is hand creased.

So if you want a cheapish Bogart hat, the Stetson Nostalgia comes with a thicker ribbon, higher crown and open crown so that you can crease it yourself.

But my advice is to get either a vintage or a custom hat if you want a really durable Bogart hat. The Nostalgia may look right but it is not the same quality. If you look at The Big Sleep then you will see how good Bogart's hat is at being waterproof.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Hello everyone,

I'd like to hijack this thread for a quick introduction.

I've been reading on this great board for quite some time now, especially the dumbest comments thread gave me a good time over the christmas holidays.
I'm a student at the age of 27 from Germany, and I've been admiring the look of fedora hats for years – maybe since I started getting into old movies about ten or more years ago – but I never had the guts to buy and wear one.
So last Christmas I finally jumped over my shadow and purchased a low-end black fedora. My initial goal was just to see if it „works“ on me and if I can wear it in public without drawing too much attention to myself. I know that the hat I bought is not of the best quality, but it sure has the look I was after and at least from the outside it looks much better than I thought it would regarding the price.

In fact I was quite surprised that hats aren't that uncommon in Germany, although you don't see fedoras very often. And, needless to say, I think I got addicted to the thing! The hat looks great with my winter outfit, which is usually a black overcoat and a red scarf. It's great for shielding my eyes against the low winter sun and it keeps my glasses dry in light rain.
So far I've only gotten positive comments about it, let aside a few giggling youngsters and the obligatoty Indy comment from some kids I was passing by. I think the typical German (at least in the area that I live in) has a higher threshold when it comes to approaching strangers then maybe people in other parts of the world. I think most people here wouldn't bother talking to a perfect stranger just because he wore an uncommon hat.

In the near future I'd like to buy a better quality hat, maybe a grey Akubra Federation that I hope will look good with the suede jacket I like to wear between the seasons.

So I tip my hat to all of you and thank you for the huge amount of information you provide on this board – I will definitely stick around and keep reading!

Greetings from Germany,
Steve

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Whenever I visited Germany in my hat there were far fewer comments than I get in England Even when I was wearing a leather jacket and fedora, no strangers mentioned or indicated Indiana Jones. So maybe hat wearers should move to Germany to get away from the idiotic name-callers:D.

Rick Blaine

avedwards said:
Whenever I visited Germany in my hat there were far fewer comments than I get in England Even when I was wearing a leather jacket and fedora, no strangers mentioned or indicated Indiana Jones. So maybe hat wearers should move to Germany to get away from the idiotic name-callers:D.

:eek:fftopic:

So shall I expect unmitigated hell from the local dim-bulb contingent when I travel to the UK with my lid next Sept.?

Rick Blaine

RBH said:
They shall not pass judgement on you as long as it is a thin ribbon. :D

Right! Last time I went over there & I had hair halfway down my back they all asked if I were a "Red Indian" now they'll KNOW I am really a COWBOY!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Rick Blaine said:
:eek:fftopic:

So shall I expect unmitigated hell from the local dim-bulb contingent when I travel to the UK with my lid next Sept.?

Still :eek:fftopic: but I am afraid that the British youth is like hell to a hat wearer. Unless you can make yourself look sinister that by wearing a black hat with a black coat (this has actually worked). But I have never had bad comments from adults.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Alchemy5150 said:
I've found that I have very specific tastes as far as style, width, and height. The crown has got to be at least 4 1/2 inches (preferably 5''), the brim has got to be at least 2", and it's got to have a nice downturn to it. Also, I prefer a tapered crown.
It sounds like you might like an Akubra C.E.O. Tapered crown, height 5" on the sides, 2-3/4" brim, downturned all the way around. Available in black, cruiser grey (a medium blue-grey), fern green (a grey-green), and burgundy.

C.E.O.jpg

The Federation IV from Hats Direct can also give you a lot of what you want, though the crown is purposely pretty straight-sided. You can crease it so it looks more tapered if you want. They also have a few of the Federation III model left. These come with a 6" high open crown, so it comes out at around 5 to 5.5" after it's creased. Contact them directly via email to see if they have any Fed III's in your size, and in what color(s).

Another very vintage-looking fedora is the Squatter available from David Morgan.

1610gry_detail.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace