Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New info on the Amelia Earheart mystery?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This is not new, it was floating around when I was a kid! That wasn't all that long after she disappeared! I will be glad when they find her plane some where on the bottom of the Pacific. Then again, the conspiracy nuts will probably say it is fake! :eusa_doh:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
If the Japanese had taken them prisoner, why keep it a secret? Also, why would they think they could get away with taking them prisoner and no one finding out about it? In hind sight we can say that no one knew for sure where they went down, but in real time 1937, I am not so sure the Japanese knew that. They would be taking a huge risk by taking them prisoner and not knowing if the aircraft was being tracked by anyone. Wouldn't the Japanese government use Earhart as a bargaining chip to get more oil and resources from the U.S. during that time? Too many questions to simply say that they were taken prisoners as spies. Not to mention the question about the aircraft. If the aircraft was already broken up, why try moving the entire aircraft? Why not disassemble it and make the move easier? I may have to revert back to the History Channel with the answer that it was aliens.

obxgyrene

New in Town
This is really not new information! I heard about this in the early 1960's from my father who served in the central Pacific during WWII. It was common knowledge to those who served in the Marshall Islands that Earhart landed on one if the islands of Mille Atoll, was picked up by the Japanese, and either died or was executed sometime thereafter.

The article is based on a book by Mike Campbell, entitled " Amelia Earhart: The Truth At Last." The book is a good read. They will never locate her plane in the depths of the Pacific, nor will they find anything on Garner Island. The whole Garner Island deal is nothing more than an interesting theory that has not revealed any evidence, and is now nothing more than a rich-man's junket treasure hunt.

As to why the truth has never been revealed, I don't know. In 1937 there would have been a reason to not make this information public as relations between the US and Japan were strained.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This is really not new information! I heard about this in the early 1960's from my father who served in the central Pacific during WWII. It was common knowledge to those who served in the Marshall Islands that Earhart landed on one if the islands of Mille Atoll, was picked up by the Japanese, and either died or was executed sometime thereafter.

The article is based on a book by Mike Campbell, entitled " Amelia Earhart: The Truth At Last." The book is a good read. They will never locate her plane in the depths of the Pacific, nor will they find anything on Garner Island. The whole Garner Island deal is nothing more than an interesting theory that has not revealed any evidence, and is now nothing more than a rich-man's junket treasure hunt.

As to why the truth has never been revealed, I don't know. In 1937 there would have been a reason to not make this information public as relations between the US and Japan were strained.

Actually, they are probably closer then ever to finding her Electra! Robert Ballard, the man who found the Titanic and The PT109, has sent ships to the area to scan the ocean floor. He has also, made the scans available to the public, so more eyes can look for the plane. Before you say nothing would be left, WWII planes have been pulled out of the Great Lakes, swamps and Atoll's and restored to flying condition! All they really need is an engine and some of the skin from the plane, to ID it.

obxgyrene

New in Town
Actually, they are probably closer then ever to finding her Electra! Robert Ballard, the man who found the Titanic and The PT109, has sent ships to the area to scan the ocean floor. He has also, made the scans available to the public, so more eyes can look for the plane. Before you say nothing would be left, WWII planes have been pulled out of the Great Lakes, swamps and Atoll's and restored to flying condition! All they really need is an engine and some of the skin from the plane, to ID it.
I would not doubt that if her plane was in the ocean that there would be parts remaining. Most definitely the engines. I would not doubt that the airframe would be intact and identifiable.
However I don't believe that she crashed in the ocean. As far as I know, Ballard declined to search for the plane because without an area to search, he would have to search hundreds of thousands of square miles.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I would not doubt that if her plane was in the ocean that there would be parts remaining. Most definitely the engines. I would not doubt that the airframe would be intact and identifiable.
However I don't believe that she crashed in the ocean. As far as I know, Ballard declined to search for the plane because without an area to search, he would have to search hundreds of thousands of square miles.

I should have said Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, who Ballard was working for, is doing an in depth look at the ocean surrounding Howland Island. The Waitt Institute for Discovery and its partners, Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute, are also helping. So it is a vast and scientific search, unlike any before. http://searchforamelia.org/

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The first sight is a good one Otter! As I have said before, TIGHAR is nothing but a joke in the aircraft preservation community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy