Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Jackets: Lost Worlds G1 and Gibson Barnes G1 Customs

Lando

Practically Family
Just wanted to share these with you guys. I thought they both came out very cool. Dont have the big camera set up right now so I'm shooting these from my phone camera. Came out pretty good though.

Lost worlds custom G1 with a leather collar done in their blue green moosehide. Very thick but with a lot of stretch and very soft. Nice heavy silk lining too. Came out fantastic in my opinion.
6674053143_9a9939e0ef_b.jpg

6674053981_f72223222d_b.jpg

6674055533_f3c132ea43_b.jpg

Gibson and Barnes custom G1 done in their Vegetable Tanned Russet Goatskin, which is heavier and way grainier than their normal goatskin in my opinion. Silk liner on this one too. Bulkier fit than the Lost Worlds but I like to layer under these in the winter so I don't mind.
6674056585_de96340ff7_b.jpg

6674057381_a7c863748d_b.jpg

Enjoy

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Two beautifull jackets,,i have a g@b a2 in russet horsehide,,well made but ruined by a plasticy finish that doesnt seem to wear or age..your g@b goatskin looks superb,,peter

Lovely pair! I'd love to see the Moose in better light to show the color. That is intriguing. My dad had a pair of Moose "boots" - more of indoor hightop slippers of sorts. They last forever. Great hide. Congrat's.

Lando

Practically Family
6675258707_fb420e357b_b.jpg

That's a better shot with a proper camera, that should give you some better concept of the color. I've wanted a moosehide jacket since I was in college and just never found an opportunity. The hide is heavy while still being soft and pliable and that's a nice combo. Lot of times the hides get heavy and you feel like you cant bend your arms, but with moose I have all the feel and flexibility of goat but with the weight of horse. Very cool. Plus, the blue green is something different from all the shades of russet, seal and brown that make up the rest of my wardrobe, little more lively.

That's a better shot with a proper camera, that should give you some better concept of the color. I've wanted a moosehide jacket since I was in college and just never found an opportunity. The hide is heavy while still being soft and pliable and that's a nice combo. Lot of times the hides get heavy and you feel like you cant bend your arms, but with moose I have all the feel and flexibility of goat but with the weight of horse. Very cool. Plus, the blue green is something different from all the shades of russet, seal and brown that make up the rest of my wardrobe, little more lively.

Lovely - thanks for the new pic! I really want something like that. That's gonna look superb when it breaks in!

Lando

Practically Family
Is the G&B goatskin leather the same as their M-422A jacket?
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/Navy+M-422A/id/18/cat_id/18/prod_id/52/

Took these just for you. I have the stock M422a from G&B, love it. This'll show you the difference though between their vegetable tanned goatskin and their standard goatskin. The M422a stock is on the left and the custom G1 in Veg Russet is on the right. Their standard has a tighter grain and seems just a bit lighter to me than their Vegetable Tanned goatskin. My M422a has been through a few heavy rainstorms and they've brought the grain out a little more. The standard M422a also comes in Seal, rather than Russet. Hope these pics help with the comparison. But the standard M422a that they make is a very good jacket. I just figure, why not customize a few things to get it more the way you like it. I prefer the silk liner over the rayon one as well.
6677327291_dcece1d123_o.jpg

6677327823_8434bc61c7_o.jpg

Bluishsmoke

New in Town
For your G & B custom G1, what kind of knits did you specify? Would it be inappropriate to ask how much it cost? I have been looking at the G & B M422a for awhile now. I like your custom G1 better.

Lando

Practically Family
For your G & B custom G1, what kind of knits did you specify? Would it be inappropriate to ask how much it cost? I have been looking at the G & B M422a for awhile now. I like your custom G1 better.

I started with a G1 model, since I prefer the style of knits on it more than the M422a. I had the knits switched out for the wool ones, and the standard g1 collar replaced with the M422a size collar. After that, I used the vegetable tanned goatskin and the silk liner from the A2 Mark 31. In the end it cost me slightly less than an A2 Mark 31, but that makes sense since most of the materials came from that model. I just don't need historical accuracy so much as the look and feel I desire. With those G&B Historical models you're paying for the accuracy to some extent, where as if you get one of their modern day A2's and just upgrade the leather, liner and knits, it will end up being cheaper. Either way, I'm very happy with G&B's work and have stock and custom models from them that are all great jackets. Let me know if you want anymore information.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Wow, great aquisitions. The veg tan is very tasty looking. The Lost World's moose hide is a looker too and suspect it will really pop after some heavy 'mileage'. Certainly don't see those every day.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Great jackets, Lando.

I found the blue-colored moose hide appealing, too, when it was available. I liked the idea of a very heavy but supple hide.

Is the silk liner any warmer than the rayon? Or does it just feel better (smoother)?

I wasn't aware that the m422a had a smaller collar than the G-1.

I have an original G-1, which I generally treat as my warm-weather coat and rarely wear in winter. Although it is sized large enough for a thick sweater to go underneath, I find that my arms get cold under that goat.

Philalethes

Lando

Practically Family
The silk liner actually feels less smooth than the rayon, but I definitely think it's warmer.

The G&B G1 collar is smaller than the M422a collar yes. I prefer the size of the M422a collar as it gives me a little more coverage when I flip it up.

As for cold arms; I'm a hot body and wear my G1s and M422as as well as my A2s all through the winter. I don't need much more most of the time. And when it gets really cold, I just throw on a hat and scarf and off I go. My wife thinks its funny. I use to wear heavier coats but found I was always sweating too much in them. This moosehide is about the heaviest coat I would buy these days. Granted, I'm not a skinny guy. So maybe my insulation is all on the inside lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo