Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member, first post

Picker

One of the Regulars
I’m a new member. I’ve lurked on the forum for a couple of weeks and have enjoyed the wealth of information and the passion for hats especially.
Although I always seemed to have some kind of brimmed hat, I began seriously wearing hats in early 2004 for two reasons. I had begun to develop too many annoying seborrheic kerotoses, the little benign, wart-like growths we baby-boomers tend to be prone to from too much sun in the 60’s and 70’s. The second reason was that I had begun playing guitar in a Django Rhinehardt (the Gypsy guitarist from the 30’s) styled duo, and the other picker wore a Stetson Temple. The look went quite well with our music.
In 2004, I bought a Stetson Bear Creek, two Chathams, and a Temple. Then, while visiting my daughter in Seattle, I stumbled across the Bernie Utz hat shop and bought a new Borsalino Como. I know, I know…I’ve read the disparaging comments regarding new Borsalinos, but let me tell you: the Stetsons never went back on my head. I gave them all away.
I’m a Georgia boy, and my brown Borsalino Como has accompanied me to the deserts of Arizona, down the Salt River, to the windy edge of the Grand Canyon (wind cord engaged), to church and to most of my latest gigs as a part-time musician.
A few weeks ago, I bought the Akubra Banjo Paterson, which is how I found this forum, searching for others’ opinions about that hat. Needless to say after reading here, HAS (Hat Acquisition Syndrome) struck, and I have now bought and bashed an Akubra Federation and ordered a Steve Delk Adventurebilt in beaver due in many weeks. Steve is a great guy to talk with on the phone and via e-mail, by the way.
At hat size 7 ¬?, 6 feet four inches tall, and over 230 pounds, I do not fit well into vintage hats and suits, sports cars, airplane seats in coach, smaller than queen size beds‚Ķ. The Akubra Federation is a big hat, as those of you who own one know; but I am finding it suits my size much more so than the 2 ¬?‚Äù brimmed Borsalinos. So, even though they were expensive (yeah, yeah, too expensive, I know), I doubt I will wear the Borsalinos in the future. What do you guys do with hats you no longer wear? I didn‚Äôt mind giving away the modern Stetsons, but the Borsalinos will hurt a little more‚Ķ.
I’m a 53 year-old retired school administrator who re-entered the classroom teaching 12th grade British Lit and Composition, and I’m looking forward to our dialogues in the future.

Picker

Stoney

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge picker!

If you want to see that the Stetson's find a good home you can post sales pitches in the Classifieds section of the forum. I'm sure that there is at least one Stetsonite here that can use them. Alternatives would be to take them to a thrift shop , like Goodwill or Salvation Army or post them for sale on e-bay or another auction site

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Picker, welcome. I have noticed a fair number of southerners joining the FL lately. No surprise that most of them are in Atlanta, or live nearby.
If you have been prowling about, then surely you have seen the link about the Executive Shop, which has an array of brims in different sizes and prices. Check it out.
Meantime, I'll watch for your Akubra while strolling downtown at lunchtime.

NRay

New in Town
Welcome aboard, Picker! I've only heard good things about Steve and the AB hats he makes (even though I don't own one). Let us know how you like it when it arrives!
Once again, welcome.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Greetings and welcome! Glad my local hat store was able to be the gateway stepping stone in your rise on the hat chain!

I'm still on my first Stetson (as I'm a 7&5/8th, haven't found a vintage yet). Still working my way around what's available. :)

playitagainsam

New in Town
Welcome Picker! I can relate to the excess sun problems. I'm 45 and started to wear hats for the same reasons. Too bad I'm a 7 1/4 or I would adopt your old hats. They would go good with my twin boys that keep me at a two hat per month budget.
lol

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome aboard Picker

I grew up in Athens myself & frequently find myself nostalgic for the hills of N. Ga.
You have found a great resource & a great group of folks, I am sure you will enjoy yr. time here.

Cheers,

Rick

Picker

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the welcome

Gentlemen, Thank you all sincerely for the warm welcome.

After wearing my new Federation for a few days (we are experiencing a little cold snap in West Georgia right now), I have decided to part with the Borsalinos. As I said, the Fed's larger proportions and brim work better with my size, and I'm awaiting the Delk Adventurebilt in August.

As soon as I learn how to post photos, I'll add the Borsalinos and probably a couple of straw Scalas to the classifieds.

Picker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR