Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member...my Aero collection

garzo

One of the Regulars
Hi Jan,

that's an awesome collection. I currently have an Aero Highwayman but have also had two Cafe Racers (which I ended up selling) and a Indian Goat A-2, which I gave my Dad (and he sold as it was too short).
Your jackets look like they really fit you perfectly. I've always had a bit of trouble fitting into Aero because I find their jackets are cut a bit smaller and narrower than normal. My Highway 46 fits me fine because I asked for an extra two inches in length.
I really like the Cafe Racer, but the two that I had just fit too short, one was 44 and the other 46 (I'm 5'11, or about 180 cm) but they were off-the rack sales items. I guess it really pays to get them custom made.
I love the Cheyenne -- but isn't it just a Rallye coat without the hand-warmer pockets? That might be the next Aero I get.
And your Cafe Racer looks great too. I really like how it looks without the chest zip.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Garzo, thanks a lot for your kind words concerning my jackets. It's quite interesting that you mention the default length of the Cafe Racer as I always felt the my jacket could actually benefit from 1 or 1 1/2 inches in extra body length. Have a look at this jacket (Real McCoys BUCO J100) and compare the fit to Aero's Cafe Racer. See what I mean?
http://www.c-king.jp/bj7001.jpg

I also think that the Cafe Racer despite the heavy horsehide is more a summer jacket because I think it looks best when worn just with a T-shirt and a pair of worn out jeans.

The Cheyenne shouldn't be mistaken for the belted Veste de Rallye. The Rallye is a much longer and wider fitting jacket and serves well as an overcoat whereas my modified Cheyenne is trim and close fitting and at least three inches shorter than the Stockman or Veste de Rallye or Barnstormer.

BTW: Ick kann det Barlina Wetter nich mehr sehn.;)

garzo

One of the Regulars
Ach wat, is doch schön hier, immer ne schöne Jelejenheit ne Lederjacke zu tragen! ;)

Are most of your jackets special orders, or is it just the Cheyenne that's modified? I really like the way it looks like that. I always liked them but thought they were a little too long, like some overcoat, but the way you've modified it it looks really cool -- a long jacket instead of a long coat.
And the Cafe Racer, yes, that was my problem too. I really liked it but it was a little impractical -- too warm for summer/fall and not too adequate for winters (especially in Berlin), because I could really only wear it with a t-shirt. As a strict motorcycle jacket I imagine it's ideal, though, but I don't ride a motorcycle.
On my Highwayman I asked that they add 2 inches to the length of the body and it fits great me great. I may come back and ask you more about the modifications to the Cheyenne if you don't mind . . . I might get just order one later on.
What I really want to do is visit the Aero shop in Scotland and get measured by them. I always find it a bit nerve-wracking ordering by email and measuring myself and hoping it comes out OK.
But I can't complain about my Highwayman, perfect fit.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Garzo, of all Aero's longer fitting jackets the Cheyenne is probably the trimmest (along with the Stockman) and the shortest model. The alterations I did to the Cheyenne specs were mainly cosmetical ones: Two piece back, curved yoke, curved pocket flaps and body shortened by two inches...that's it.
The Cheyenne is not really a trim fitting jacket when compared to other models although it's not oversized by any means. But it's significantly roomier than a Long Halfbelt, 1930s Halfbelt, Cafe Racer, or M422a as those are the slimmest fitting jackets Aero makes. My Cheyenne was a size 40 and I sold it recently because it was too generous even when worn with a sweater and dress shirt underneath.
I would guess that if you take a size 44(EUR54) shirt or suit, a Cheyenne in size 44 would be a perfect fit. I wouldn't order a size up.
I have a new Cheyenne incoming in size 38 (first 38 ever), slightly waisted, veg tanned seal goatskin with Stockman patch pockets. It should arrive Thursday or Friday. As soon as I find the time I'll post a detailed pictorial review of that jacket.
Have you seen the photos of my new civil G1/M422a ? That's one trim fitting jacket! But a Cheyenne would look hilarious if worn that tight...
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35240

Hope that helps. Cheers.

BTW: Ick war am Wochenende in Sacrow und det hat mir sowatt von in't Hemd jerechnet, datt ick mir richtich schön vakiehlt habe. Da hilft och keen warmet Schultheiss mehr... Machet jut.

garzo

One of the Regulars
Die G1/M422a -- Det is ne hamma geile Jacke!

Really cool. I have a similar one from Gibson & Barnes, goatskin but without the fur collar -- the ANJ-3, which was apparently supposed to replace the A2 but never became standard issue.

Thanks for the tips and definitely post some pics of the new Cheyenne. I have to check what the difference is in the pockets. Are the Stockman patch pockets on the outside, military-style?

Und jute Besserung! Vielleicht hilft ja een kaltet Schulti :cheers1:

Machet jut!

JanSolo

Practically Family
The Stockman pockets are on the outside and significantly wider than the standard Cheyenne pockets. I prefer them over those pockets just because of the better looks. They are similar to the A2 pockets but lined with heavy cotton drill. I went for press stud closure which makes the pockets more usable in cold weather conditions where you don't want to fiddle with a traditional button closure.
I am eagerly awaiting the new jacket. I have also ordered an A-1 from Aero's sales page which will be this year's Christmas present for my father. It's a generous size 40 which should be large enough for him.
I'll defintively post pictures of both jackets.

Cheers

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I just discovered your introductory thread and thereby the link to what seems to be your latest order.

They are all great jackets, but I am really impressed with your alterations! Seems like you are nailing a lot of issues and the outcome is very convincing indeed.

I have tried coming up with my ideas for a customized Aero Cafe Racer and am very curious about the outcome, due in early April.

Again, thank you and Kudos for sharing your insights.

One last thing: you seem to have or at least seen Real Mc Coy's products. Can you share some more information about those?

I recently bought their 2008 catalogue and have trouble to get a clear idea of how good their stuff really is by simply googling about them.

thanks and greetings from the south,

Daniel

PS: Icke wa oooch voa kuazem in Baalin und da hat et doch tatsächlich von unten gerechnet. Det kannste mia glooben!

gosh - jan, yur specific knowledge about Aero's stuff is outstanding! you're really expert, that's for sure. the pain of choice which one to wear must be threatening ...

i read in yur intro that yur also into pilot watches - me too! i call some timepieces my own (Tutima, Omega, Mido etc) but always was a bit astonished for what scrap can be named a "Fliegeruhr". as i am pilot by myself i think i can jugde quite well what's useful and what not - how about yur experiences? maybe we should open a new thread on this issue?

best from the stadt der luft- und raumfahrt!

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks for all your nice comments and remarks. Sorry that I wasn't able to respond to questions earlier as I was just too busy to visit the forum.

The collar on my ANJ-3 is in fact the same collar shape as the fur collar of the M422a, just without the fur trim and the throat latch. There is not much "custom made" about this feature as it is an option Aero has made countless times. You can order it with or w/o the "Trapunto" stitching (zig zag stitching on the back of the collar) to stiffen the collar.

In the past I only had one Real McCoys jacket, in fact it was a used "Real McQueen A2" made by The Few. The jacket was nice and well made but there was nothing on it that justified it's enormous price. I think Aero A2s especially the 1938 pattern are as good as any Real McCoys or The Few jackets. I cannot comment on sheepskin garment though.

Yes I do have a strong interest in wrist watches. From time to time I post on "TZ-UK-com" as I think it one of the better fora if not the best.

I recently ordered a new jacket from Aero which has arrived yesterday. It's a heavily modified Cafe Racer. You'll find detailed specs and pics in a separate thread called "My new Cafe Racer...is it you?"

Cheers,

Jan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy