Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Scammer

I didn't get any impression that he was trying to scam me at the time, and as he seemed to be a regular forum user I didn't think that was a likely risk. He just asked me if I would sell him something that I wasn't interested in selling. I gave him an offer of exactly what I'd paid for it, which was less than you would pay for it through a retailer, but he did not go for it, and wanted what might have been a reasonable price for a used Thedi, but was a few hundred below my offer. Thedi didn't seem to have a lot of resale value and were not as well known then, so it didn't really seem unreasonable for either of us to negotiate as we did. I'm frankly shocked at learning that he's apparently got the reputation he now has.

Yep, that's the thing. And you're pretty much describing my only business related exchange with him. I can't remember what it was that I was selling at the time but he PM'd me with the lowest possible offer that was still within the realistic price-range spectrum, which I flat out refused and the only thing that stood out as weird was that he continued sending me messages, explaining how fantastic his offer is and how I couldn't possibly hope to get more money for the jacket.

Naturally, the jacket sold very quickly so that was as my dealing with Lebowski went but other than the low-balling which, again, is a completely natural occurrence in this hobby, the guy was polite & knowledgeable and certainly wasn't the only person on this board to be after a good deal.

My theory is that while he perhaps wasn't originally intent on scamming anyone, he must've figured out how to abuse the system and began using it to his advantage. Like those people who buy a phone on eBay & then make a claim with a photo of an USB stick, saying that's what they got. . .

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I didn't get any impression that he was trying to scam me at the time, and as he seemed to be a regular forum user I didn't think that was a likely risk. He just asked me if I would sell him something that I wasn't interested in selling. I gave him an offer of exactly what I'd paid for it, which was less than you would pay for it through a retailer, but he did not go for it, and wanted what might have been a reasonable price for a used Thedi, but was a few hundred below my offer. Thedi didn't seem to have a lot of resale value and were not as well known then, so it didn't really seem unreasonable for either of us to negotiate as we did. I'm frankly shocked at learning that he's apparently got the reputation he now has.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vintage-eastman-sfad-b3-size-42r.99823/#post-2726743

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace