Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New sherlock holmes movie

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'd mostly agree with Dr. Strange, though a little less negative. It was loud, dumb fun, watchable and entertaining as long as you remember you are not really watching a Sherlock Holmes movie, but just some Steampunk action movie. But also pretty forgettable. In short a Guy Ritchie film.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Chasseur said:
I'd mostly agree with Dr. Strange, though a little less negative. It was loud, dumb fun, watchable and entertaining as long as you remember you are not really watching a Sherlock Holmes movie, but just some Steampunk action movie. But also pretty forgettable. In short a Guy Ritchie film.

lol I like Guy Ritchie films! I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen this yet but would like to. from what few previews I've seen, I'd at least like the outfits

Lokar

A-List Customer
The outfits were probably one of my least favourite parts, but I'm a stickler for the accuracy with attire.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I like Guy Ritchie films! I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen this yet but would like to. from what few previews I've seen, I'd at least like the outfits

Hepkitty sorry for the snarky comment in my last post! You should see it actually, if you like his films its enjoyable to watch. I thought it was fun, but I went into not thinking I was going to see a Jeremy Brett film. As is the case with most of these types of films the outfits of the extras/supporting roles is better than the leads. (Not sure where Mark Strong found that rubber cape for his Dracula outfit in the 1890s...)

acl1

Familiar Face
It was relatively fun to watch, but just that. They could have explored so much more - the addiction to drugs, his emotional struggles, but chose to ignore the more cerebral aspects to create another plain action movie.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i was actually surprised they touched on the drug use at all. well done though.

loved the fight scene w/ The Dubliners version of "Rocky Road to Dublin" as the soundtrack. brilliant.

beyond that, kind of a steampunk reboot, but fun.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've always been a Sherlock Holmes fan, and I read and reread Sir A.C. Doyle's work often.

I'm looking forward to Sherlock 2. I was quite disappointed by the first trailer released as it appeared they were taking Sherlock and turning him into some kind of superhero-Americanized-basterdized version of himself SOLEY for booms and crashes.

After seeing the first flick, I was quite pleased with the direction they took and I'm eagerly anticipating the new release.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
EXTRA! EXTRA!

Jared Harris (Lane Price from Mad Men) has been cast as Professor Moriarty. Oh man what good casting! I am stoked for this film now!

And also according to the folks at Aintitcoolnews.com, Stephen Fry has been cast as Mycroft Holmes, Sherlock's older brother (who in the books could run circles around Sherlock's observatory skills)

What do you all think?

I just have a problem with Mycroft in the sense that every time I think of him I get this as a visual representation:
Mycroft+2.bmp

:D
It will be interesting to see the Diogenes Club again though. :D

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I recall Mycroft being described as an incredibly corpulent man, massive not fat.
Oh I hope that club is in the movie, what story was it mentioned in? I can't recall.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's very good casting... but I still didn't like the first film enough to see the next one theatrically.

Personally, I think Christopher Lee made an interesting Mycroft in Billy Wilder's The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. For a Mycroft with a more substantial figure, then how about Robert Morley in A Study In Terror? (A very underrated Holmes film that I think is better than the similar, later Murder By Decree.)

filfoster

One Too Many
No uh, crap, Sherlock

For this viewer, Jeremy Brett IS (sadly, 'was' but lives on in film) Sherlock Holmes. That said, I enjoyed the Robert Downey Jr./Jude Law Adventures very much and hope they will continue to churn these out. Many of us have enough love for the subject to embrace many, differing interpretations, especially ones as entertaining as these. Great movies? No. But what fun! And the casting is as good as one could hope. We love Stephen Fry and "Lane" from Mad Men. Keep 'em coming!

By the way, the costumes are a magnet too. I managed the cord frock, homburg, brocade vest, trousers and shoes before it was out in DVD. Also managed the plum sack coat, striped vest and those houndstooth check pants and high bowler. The plaid frock? Mount Everest, because the cloth is just not out there. Have no idea how they did that except to overdye an existing Tartan or made up a new one.

Mr Vim said:
I recall Mycroft being described as an incredibly corpulent man, massive not fat.
Oh I hope that club is in the movie, what story was it mentioned in? I can't recall.

The Greek Interpreter
The Diogenes Club described by Sherlock:
There are many men in London, you know, who some from shyness, some from misanthropy, have no wish for the company of their fellows. Yet they are not adverse to comfortable chairs and the latest periodicals. It is for the convenience of these that the Diogenes Club was started, and it now contains the most unsociable and unclubable men in town. No member is permitted to take the least notice of any other. Save in the Stranger's Room, no talking is, under any circumstances allowed, and three offences, if brought to the notice of the committee, render the talker liable to expulsion. My brother was one of the founders, and I have myself found it a very soothing atmosphere."

I think this club could have quite a following nowadays. ;) :p

ukali1066

Practically Family
I saw this last night.....I did like Jude Law's Watson...he looked the most dapper Watson we've seen so far and still young and capable enough to be a recently retired soldier.....Downey Junior.... hmmm....not as impressed, along with Johnny Depp he is one of the best American actors at doing a British accent.....but he just didn't fit for me, ....like someone said previously Mark Strong would have been a better choice...tall, imposing and with a great classic Holmes face....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner