Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"New" Stetson Royal Deluxe

matei

One Too Many
Hello all,

A few weeks back I picked up a light grey Stetson Royal Deluxe. I sniped at the last minute what turns out was another 'Lounge member - many apologies! :eek:

It is a lovely hat indeed. The felt is uber-soft and easily molded, there are no holes or rips to speak of. It doesn't have a bound edge, rather it is underwelted.

It is a wee bit tight, but I'll give it some gentle, quality time on the "rack" and see what happens. the liner and sweat are in excellent shape as well.

It appears to have the same sweat as my other Royal Stetson, but floppier fur and no edge ribbon. The felt is a much lighter colour, however this could be because it was left out in the sun a bit.

Here are a few pics:

bbc8re2.jpg

28e2re2.jpg

The only negative bit about the hat is the ribbon. Instead of being black, it appears to be "going grey", with reddish highlights. Almost like it was left in the sun... That is fine with me, a ribbon can be replaced (or even re-dyed, no?)... It wouldn't stop me from wearing it though!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't sunlight deter moths from attacking a hat?

matei

One Too Many
Upon reflection, this hat is really close to the custom Optima that MK has. The feel of the felt and design are very similar.

matei

One Too Many
When I pulled the sweat down to moisten it a wee bit, I found that a previous owner had added some newspaper to adjust the fit... This is some old newpaper, I can't quite make out the date (because it was cut into strips just ahead of the date!) but I can see a picture of a football player wearing one of those old-school leather helmets!

Magus

Practically Family
matei said:
When I pulled the sweat down to moisten it a wee bit, I found that a previous owner had added some newspaper to adjust the fit... This is some old newpaper, I can't quite make out the date (because it was cut into strips just ahead of the date!) but I can see a picture of a football player wearing one of those old-school leather helmets!

COOL!...just waitin on a PICTURE! ;)

matei

One Too Many
Well... I don't have my scanner hooked up, but the paper is in strips, maybe 1'' x 4''. You can only see a wee part of the picture.

I don't know much about American Football, so I don't know when they stopped wearing this type of helmet. It looks a bit like a WWII pilot, or even tanker, helmet.

Anyhow, I posted two of the pics of the lid up in the first post. It needs to be cleaned a bit, there are a few places where the dust and dirt has set in over the years!

Disclaimer - I don't intend to wear it with the rad t-shirt in the pics, honestly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore