Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strand Hatters - Sydney - Worst New Hat Order Ever

Catechumen

New in Town
I recently ordered two Akubra Homburgs from Strand Hatters in Sydney. I've ordered Akubras multiple times from other Australian sellers: Hats by the Hundred, The Hattery, and Everything Australian (i.e., easily more than 4 orders from each, mostly multiple hats) - never an issue, but Strand Hatters had the Homburg in a color no one else had (Acorn). I opened the box today and pulled out the hats, one inside another - not per se unusual, but the top most hat was firmly wedged into the bottom hat presumably, given the brim design, to force them to fit into the shallow box. With some effort, I got them separated only to find that they had crammed the hat inside the other so far down that they wrecked the ribbon.

I have never received a hat (which also looks dusty/dirty) in such horrible condition - what kind of seller does that? The Acorn hat has issues with the ribbon as well, but not nearly as bad as the Loden hat.

I received an order of two Homburgs from The Hattery within the last two months and they taped the two hat boxes together for shipping, but used one box per hat. The Hattery has always been great and they always act like they care.

Obviously, it is cost prohibitive to return this hat (can't figure out why it costs $25-30 to have something shipped from Australia to US, but boat loads more to ship from US to Australia). I'm hoping steam will work this out, but I'm not real confident as I'm not real skilled at much. I've probably purchased 40-50 hats online and never had a seller package something so negligently.

So, I'm just saying - buyer beware regarding Strand Hatters (or only buy one hat). First and last purchase from them.

Attachments

• Akubra1.jpeg
    Akubra1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Akubra2.jpeg
    Akubra2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • Akubra3.jpeg
    Akubra3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • Akubra4.jpeg
    Akubra4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28

rogueclimber

Familiar Face
I recently ordered two Akubra Homburgs from Strand Hatters in Sydney. I've ordered Akubras multiple times from other Australian sellers: Hats by the Hundred, The Hattery, and Everything Australian (i.e., easily more than 4 orders from each, mostly multiple hats) - never an issue, but Strand Hatters had the Homburg in a color no one else had (Acorn). I opened the box today and pulled out the hats, one inside another - not per se unusual, but the top most hat was firmly wedged into the bottom hat presumably, given the brim design, to force them to fit into the shallow box. With some effort, I got them separated only to find that they had crammed the hat inside the other so far down that they wrecked the ribbon.

I have never received a hat (which also looks dusty/dirty) in such horrible condition - what kind of seller does that? The Acorn hat has issues with the ribbon as well, but not nearly as bad as the Loden hat.

I received an order of two Homburgs from The Hattery within the last two months and they taped the two hat boxes together for shipping, but used one box per hat. The Hattery has always been great and they always act like they care.

Obviously, it is cost prohibitive to return this hat (can't figure out why it costs $25-30 to have something shipped from Australia to US, but boat loads more to ship from US to Australia). I'm hoping steam will work this out, but I'm not real confident as I'm not real skilled at much. I've probably purchased 40-50 hats online and never had a seller package something so negligently.

So, I'm just saying - buyer beware regarding Strand Hatters (or only buy one hat). First and last purchase from them.

I would hope the seller would pay return shipping...

Good luck in resolving the issue however you choose to do so

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you elect to keep them, definitely try steam to smooth out the ribbons. But you also can use an iron on the ribbon. If you can sew, just pop the stitches, iron out the ribbon, sew it back on.

It shouldn't be your problem to deal with, but it can definitely dealt with relatively easily.

BigHat

New in Town

That’s appalling. I’m interested to hear what they say, and hope they sort it out for you.

RockyR

New in Town
Sorry to learn of that.

I've had a hat shipped (interstate) from Strand Hatters and they were brilliant. Very attentive, friendly, and efficient. So much so that I sent a separate thank you email (which I rarely do unless deserved)

They also did a really good bash for my Squatter!

Hopefully it gets resolved!!

My go to is The Hattery. The team there make the 3hr drive so much more enjoyable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred