Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to Fedora's

Xen86

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I'm rather new to fedoras and hats in general (I usually wear baseball caps), and I am interested in purchasing a fedora. I was curious to see if anyone happens to know of a hat store that is anywhere near Champaign, IL? If so, it would be much appreciated. I have no problem purchasing a hat online, although I would at least like to get my head measured properly, and see what styles work on me before I buy one online. Any information would excellent. Thanks in advance.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why not take a trip to nearby Chicago?

Always glad to hear of someone making the transition from baseball caps to fedora.
Don't know of a hat store in Champaign. It's a good idea to get your noggin measured
and try on a few styles of hats before ordering online. You might consider buying an
inexpensive fedora locally just to get used to them and see what you prefer.
Maybe this thread will be useful to you?

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11240

Aerol

A-List Customer
Chicago

Can you get up to Chicago? You could go to Hats-Plus (a FL lounge member) or to Sid's Clothing (on Roosevelt Rd.) for good selections and excellent service.

Xen86

New in Town
I might venture that way again soon, was just in Carol Stream this last weekend, but while school is in session, I do not have much time to make that drive. That is why I would prefer to go somewhere down here, otherwise I will have to wait until I go home again :(

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, I'd suggest making the time to go. A huge selection and sales people who know hats will go a long way toward finding a hat (or several) you'll love. The word "Fedora" covers so many diverse styles of hat that you can get overwhelmed at first.

As the denizens of the Fedora Lounge have found out, I love 'em all. :)

BigSho

Vendor
There are literally hundreds of different similar styles that are close to the scala that you linked in the thread. Biltmore makes a few in different felts with the c-crown. Stetson has a couple too that we carry in the store. But if you are truly new to the style and want to wear one I would wait. There is nothing that can replace going to a hat store and trying them on to see what fits your face. I don't think there are any hat stores in Champagne my brother goes to school there and I am sure he would have caught wind of one by now. But the wait will be well worth it to save you the hassle of shipping and dealing with all the factors that play into getting you the right hat for you.

Jeremyhttp://www.hats-plus.com

ortega76

Practically Family
Welcome! Good to find a fellow Central-IL member!

In Champaign, the hat pickings are slim. Joseph Kuhn's carries some wool offerings like Stacy Adams, Bailey and the like. A little menswear shop on University , GQ Hue, carries Biltmore but does most of their business by special order. Champaign Surplus has the occasional wool or cotton jobber.

I have the most luck on-line or in the City.

Gumby

New in Town
There once was a hat shop...

Many, many moons ago there used to be a hat shop (Dan's Hat Shop) right in downtown Champaign, near the police station, if I recall correctly. I was in there once or twice. Alas, I think it closed in the early or mid 1980's.[huh]

ortega76

Practically Family
Gumby said:
Many, many moons ago there used to be a hat shop (Dan's Hat Shop) right in downtown Champaign, near the police station, if I recall correctly. I was in there once or twice. Alas, I think it closed in the early or mid 1980's.[huh]

It closed in the late 90's and the space is now taken up by a jewelry store. I bought my "lucky" newsboy there my freshman year of college (1994) and several other hats that I still have buried in the closet.

Xen86

New in Town
Thanks for all the responses, it does seem that I am going to have to wait until I am in Chicago again for a fitting before I decide to purchase one ;/

astaire

One of the Regulars
Welcome again

Just a word of caution, try not to spend too much for a modern fedora (alot of us here in the lounge has preference for vintage hats;) ). If you don't mind wearing vintage, you should spend a few dollars buying a vintage hat and then compare it to a modern hat. There is a big difference.

Funny thing is, most of my better vintage fedora came from Chicago. This is probably just a coincidence. However, it seems that there were many haberdashers living in Chicago in the 30's through the late 40's.

Enjoy and welcome again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot