Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to the game..

mfgann

New in Town
Hello everyone. I've been lurking about a bit, learning, and finally took the plunge. Let me start by saying I've always been a bit frustrated about hats, since I never seemed to look right in them. All the ball-caps I tried were just too small for my big head. I had given up on it. Finally a few years ago while at the beach, the sun was just too much, and I decided to tinker with the hats, mostly Panama style. I was still not doing so hot as only some of the XLs would barely fit me, then I discovered the Tilleys behind the counter, and found that picking the right hat size worked much better. I got a 7 5/8 (which I still think is a bit small.. I always stretch it post-wash). I recently decided I needed something a little 'nicer' for work, and having seen my father start wearing fedoras lately I took an interest in them. I measured my noggin, came up with a weak 7 3/4 and finally ordered this:
Scala-PF-Brown-Lge.gif

Bogart style Fur-Felt Scala
Now what actually came was a C-crown, which I like just as well, but it raises a few questions for a beginner.

First, when I wear it, it is slightly loose (haven't padded the sweat-band yet) but I 'top-out' pretty quickly.. I could use about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch more depth. My wife doesn't want the crown too much higher though. So in the humble opinion of the more experienced, should I just wait for a rain and pull it down tight and then let it dry like that, should I attempt to bash it to another style that might give me a bit more head-room but won't appear too much taller, or should I return it for a different bashed style?

Next question is, storing it. So far I've kept it on top of a (long-since emtpy) wine bottle, but I'd to know what most hang their hats on? I can't keep it on a door knob because of youngsters. Any particularly good type of thing I should use as a hook? I'll probably not be one to baby it too much after I get used to it, and I doubt my wife will let me use up a lot of counter space after I start collecting more.

Lastly, a question of style. I've noticed many flip the back brim up. My wife liked it flipped down.. is this still a typical style? Is it a goofy way to wear it? How do you get the brim to 'droop' a little more?

All in all, I'm really liking it, and I'm loving being able to wear a hat finally.. It feels like freedom, in some strange way. Anyway, happy to be here folks.

Matthew

Stoney

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge Matthew. That's not a bad first lid. :eusa_clap I would keep it.

The hat should conform to your head as you wear it, as long as it's not overly big, the sweatband will shrink to fit. Otherwise pad the sweatband with a little paper, felt or craft foam.

As far as pulling the brim down ect.. That will also kind of happen, with time, as you take the hat on and off. If you wear the hat tipped on your head it will also become a bit nonsysmetrical , which makes it look unique. A good thing. You can accelerate the process by flexing the brim with your hands to loosen the stiffener in the felt. Be careful that you don't over do it as you want it to stay a little bit stiff to keep it's form.

Be sure to search through the posts here as there is a wealth of information regarding hats as well as other attire on this Forum.

GI Joe

Familiar Face
Matthew,

From one newbie to another, welcome!

I have the same top-out problem so I'll be interested to hear what the more learned members have to say.

For storage, take a look at these
https://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=87

I ordered 3 of the rests to set mine on in the closet but maybe the rack will work for you.

As to the back brim, I like them flipped down.

Let's see some pictures when your new lid comes in.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Good For You!

Hey Matthew, welcome.

About the brim preference: Having the brim down all around is sort of a more casual way to wear a formal hat - and the modern public seems to react to this approach with a little more comfort than they sometimes do to a real nice snap-brim. I have hats both ways although I've grown to prefere the snap brim. Depends on the brim, the outfit, the setting and my mood. I think the Indian Jones films did a lot to resurrect interest in men's hats but that's probably due in part to the way it was worn casually rather than formally as in other movies that failed to pique that same interest in the public.

My notions anyway...

Gene

indycop

I'll Lock Up
All of my hats hats touch the top of my head, I guess it's just part of being a big head. A taller crown does help though since it will let the hat come down more were it should be. It may seem large at first but once you get used to it it's fine.:)

mfgann

New in Town
Indy

I'm just glad I got a brown fedora before the new movie. Give people at work a while to adjust to it, so they don't assume I got it _because_ of the movie. I love the Indy character, but he's not the only character I love, and not the reason I went to hats. In fact, until I started looking for a hat I had no idea the hat market was 'plagued' by indy hats. That was an interesting revelation.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't call it a plague though since alot of people including me started with the Indy hat and branched out from there.:)
The Indy hat is the gateway drug for hatwearers!lol lol lol

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
All of my hats hats touch the top of my head, I guess it's just part of being a big head. A taller crown does help though since it will let the hat come down more were it should be. It may seem large at first but once you get used to it it's fine.:)

Intelligent people have a lot of head between the tops of their ears and the top of the head. If the top of your head touches the top of your hat crown, just smile knowingly, and don't tell anybody why! :D

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
indycop said:
I wouldn't call it a plague though since alot of people including me started with the Indy hat and branched out from there.:)
The Indy hat is the gateway drug for hatwearers!lol lol lol

This explains my 'addiction.' I bought that Indy hat way back in 1982 and I was hooked.

Welcome to the Lounge, Matthew! Enjoy your hat adjustment period (no pun intended); you'll find the style, size and color that works for you and you'll continue on your journey, trying new and different hats. Then, like the rest of us, you'll be spending every bit of extra income on hat after hat after hat. "One of us..."

Michael...

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
yes yes, indy's hat was a nice gateway drug for myself, but I'm finding that my entire wardrobe (which consisted mainly of plaid shirts, jeans, t-shirts, and a few "church clothes") is beginning to change according to my hats. I bought a vintage grey three peice suit to match a grey snap brim fedora. I am thrift storing to find blazers and suspenders and old shoes....just let the addiction take over!

gabe

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Very sharp looking hat, Matthew. I'm new here too, but welcome!

I always liked the brim flipped up in the back and down in front. It worked for Bogie and Sinatra so it can't be bad lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari