Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"New" Vintage Gray Borsalino

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello,

Yesterday I rescued this vintage gray Borsalino from my favorite vintage shop. It is not perfect, but it is in pretty good shape.

The hat is gray with a black ribbon that is wide and bold. The ribbon is pristine. The brim is bound with this almost iridescent eggplant colored material that is a little frayed on the edges and has some discoloration. The felt has some flaws in it, all minor; no stains.

Here is the lining:

The felt is amazing, just the softest floppiest hat I have ever felt, no pun intended. ;)

I did a little styling test: from my style, to a center dent, to an open crown. I took the following pictures, no exaggeration, in a matter of seconds:

I could roll up this hat and put it in my luggage, then pop it out in a minute and wear it. I'll probably do so for The Queen Mary.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
LOOKS GREAT

You post a nice gray lid as i am watching "Last Man Standing" on TBS.

The bow work looks interesting...nice score and save!!!

enjoy,

WeeGee

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you both,

There are a couple of pulls on the felt, the sweatband has a tear, and the bound brim is slightly discolored in a few spots.

Still, the felt is so amazing, I had to have it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Your favorite vintage shop comes through in a big way! Excellent hat you can shape as you please from moment to moment.

Darn that kaput Portugal Felt project anyway. :(

mikepara

Practically Family
Always nice to compliment a nice hat.

Invisible flaws aside it looks fine. Another masterclass on how to pull it off. Many thanks. MP

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Great hat!

Oh, and...uh...what size do you wear?

Oh, and...uh...what part of town are you in?

Oh, and...uh...um...where do you keep your hats at night? Near a window?

You know, uh, just askin'. Really. :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you all very much!

It's funny; I keep coming across Borsalinos, and what I am looking for is a good old classic American Stetson!

Oh well, I can't complain.

Thanks again.

Hemingway Jones said:
Thank you all very much!

It's funny; I keep coming across Borsalinos, and what I am looking for is a good old classic American Stetson!

Oh, the pain. I have only ever found ONE borsa in a vintage store around here. It's a 60s number. Quite nice, excellent felt, but stingy-ish. May sell it, who knows.

On the other hand, this town appears to be a repository of high quality Stetsons.

Love the bow on yer Borsa. My late 20s borsa has the same diagonal treatment.

bk

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Oh, the pain. I have only ever found ONE borsa in a vintage store around here. It's a 60s number. Quite nice, excellent felt, but stingy-ish. May sell it, who knows.

On the other hand, this town appears to be a repository of high quality Stetsons.

Love the bow on yer Borsa. My late 20s borsa has the same diagonal treatment.

bk
Perhaps we should arrange a trade! ;)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Great find, Hem! And as usual, you wear it impeccably well. I look forward to checking it out next week, along with the rest of your collection. And we must hit that shop when I am in town!

Oh, and Mr. Lucky, PM me with what you'd pay for such a hat. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink....

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Great find, Hem! And as usual, you wear it impeccably well. I look forward to checking it out next week, along with the rest of your collection. And we must hit that shop when I am in town!

Oh, and Mr. Lucky, PM me with what you'd pay for such a hat. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink....
Sure thing, Brother!
You are going to fall over when I take you around.
I would start stashing some money away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick