Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New WW2 re-enactor magazine coming soon!

p51

One Too Many
I just read about something new, WW2 re-enactor magazine. I haven’t seen one yet so I have no idea how good it is. I just wish they’d post a few sample pages from an issue so people could see what their magazine looks like. There have been a few attempts over the years to make a magazine devoted to living history of various timeframes. Most have failed quickly. Still, I think such a magazine would probably do better in England than in the US. I hope this one does well because I’d subscribe to a good quality publication devoted to non-Civil-War re-enacting. The only problem I can foresee with such a magazine is that wherever it’s published, such magazines often limit themselves to “their” side of the Atlantic. For example, I have read “Skirmish” magazine a few times but the focus is far too broad to maintain my interest (and almost exclusively concentrated on the UK). I have been in touch with the publisher on continuing my “Rear Echelon” cartoons that some in the hobby in the US in the 1990s might recall as well as doing some articles on local events where I am. I hope that this will really get going strong.
I just remembered a few years back, someone was trying to get a "1940s" themed magazine up and running, had writer and photographers on board all ready, he asked me to be his staff artist. I was pumped as he was just getting the financial backing. This was right about the time the "swing dancing" craze was starting. Sadly, it never came to pass. And most here know all too well the fate of "Atomic" magazine, which I always suspected too the idea of the previous person and ran with it.

p51

One Too Many
DutchIndo said:
All this cool re-enacting stuff comes out now, where was it 20 years ago ? Some of the gear I see now is incredible along with dvds and information. You guys are lucky.
Lucky, my eye! I too was into this 20 years ago and I know all too well how you had to either know someone in the hobby or stumble across a group doing something to get into it! I was on my own doing events for over a year before American Rifleman magazine did an artcle on the hobby that included contact info (all address, though, pre internet) which was how I finally hooked up with some groups!
Eyemo said:
Issue 70 of Skirmish may be of interest to you...;) :)
It would be if anyone around here carried it anymore. Haven't seen an issue in over a year.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Re: articles for women. Why not write something and send it in? They'll probably be looking for contributors...

That way you'll know for sure there'll be something for women. :)

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I hear you P-51 ! The way I got into it was shopping at a Surplus Store in the early 80s. I was looking at racks of M-41 field jackets :eek: when a guy came up and started talking. He said he was in a Re-enactment group and I should join them. He gave me a copy of "The Front" a CHG magazine. It wasn't really a Magazine just printed pages and BW photos. It wasn't fancy but interesting. It showed how to make your own uniforms using existing Swiss Tunics. It showed how to dye them using RIT Dye. That was for the Germans. Americans were easier as Surplus uniforms abounded. I still have a pair of M-43 trousers in mint condition that I bought for 3.98 ! I also have 2 pairs of M-36 suspenders I bought for the same price. The Re-enactment community was small back then. Airborne Units were almost non-existant. It was here where Juan Gonzales started his business WWII Impressions. He made his now famous Jumpsuit for our Unit the 82nd (what there was an 82nd ABN in WWII ??!!). He won a few Hollywood contracts and the rest is history. Now one can find almost anything online something else we didn't have. On the other hand there were lot's of GREAT Surplus stores back then with real US Gear. Those days have passed ........................

jeep44

One of the Regulars
DutchIndo said:
All this cool re-enacting stuff comes out now, where was it 20 years ago ? Some of the gear I see now is incredible along with dvds and information. You guys are lucky.

We had to find the original stuff in a size that would fit us back then. I still remember the time I snagged my original M41 and ripped the arm:eusa_doh:

I spent lots of time and money at gunshows, militaria shows,auctions,yardsales,and antique stores. Like the previous poster said, US stuff was still to be found cheaply and abundantly-I had complete uniform sets for most any scenario-all original. Still have them,too.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
Re: articles for women. Why not write something and send it in? They'll probably be looking for contributors...

That way you'll know for sure there'll be something for women. :)
I'm afraid I'm rather new to reenacting to write an article which I why I hope someone else can.

p51

One Too Many
I just got the first issue yesterday from across the Pond. Yes, it’s UK/EU centric at this time because that’s where the publisher is. I’ve e-mailed Stuart back and forth several times and I am confident that he’s genuinely interested in the re-enacting scene here in the colonies as well.
There was an article that women might find interesting, on a line of modern undergarments that are made to the 40s pattern (I can imagine most gals in the hobby would rather not wear used underwear) as well as at least one article written by a woman. For a first issue, it’s showing a broad spectrum of interest. I’d think the issue has at least one thing that you’d want to read. There was also an article on a cabaret performer. You wouldn’t want to be caught reading that article at the office, as photos are enclosed (not rated R but would cause some raised eyebrows).
They did print my cartoon. I wasn’t pleased with the gag itself (two WW2 vets at Normandy ask for directions from a group of “GIs” and find none of them actually speak English). And when I scanned it, I screwed up on the contrast (darned monitor settings). I bet it would be funnier for the continental folks. The next two I’ve submitted are much funnier and better drawn. I will also be covering an event for the magazine in a few weeks, and I’m really looking forward to using my War Correspondent impression and REALLY getting a story while doing so.
So if anyone has complaint that their segment of the world isn’t represented, then REPRESENT IT! A magazine like this is only as good as what they get. Also, it is a commercial venture, not a club’s newsletter. Keep that in mind.

Davep

One of the Regulars
Thanks P51, I was considering getting the "summer issue" and then afterward decided whehter to get the subscription. They now have made it easier for us in the States, to pay for it through paypal. Just a few weeks ago, it wasn't really set-up for us yet.

PS- The CHG's newletter "The Front" is now done online, and can be found at "Headquarters" on the CHG website. www.chgww2.com

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Davep said:
Thanks P51, I was considering getting the "summer issue" and then afterward decided whehter to get the subscription. They now have made it easier for us in the States, to pay for it through paypal. Just a few weeks ago, it wasn't really set-up for us yet.

PS- The CHG's newletter "The Front" is now done online, and can be found at "Headquarters" on the CHG website. www.chgww2.com

Just ordered the Summer Issue myself. The Paypal does make it so much easier. We'll see how it goes. The website looks good so hopefully the magazine is too.

p51

One Too Many
priestyboy said:
Just ordered the Summer Issue myself. The Paypal does make it so much easier. We'll see how it goes. The website looks good so hopefully the magazine is too.
If you show up at the Ft Stevens event next weekend, I'll be there on Saturday writing an article on that event for this magazine.
They have asked me to add a profile of myself as they're listing everyone who regularly contributes (makes sense in my case as they already have enough stuff for three issues from me). I think they did a good job with the info I gave them: http://www.reenactingww2.co.uk/#/the-team/4533247595
Unless I miss my guess, this makes me one of the few accredited WW2 re-enactment
correspondents in the hobby with such an impression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael