Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York in color: 1942

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Here is a great YouTube clip with beautiful color images of New York in 1942. Embedding was disabled on this clip so you'll have to visit the website directly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed0Chh7KADA

There is a whole collection of amateur Kadachrome films (taken from the Prelinger Archives) of the New York World Fair 1939/40. Obviously, there is no audio with those clips. Still, this stuff is absolutely amazing! Take you time as there are a few hours worth of movies to watch.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject:"World's+Fairs:+New+York,+1939-40"

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Now that's the New York City I remember. I was born in 1950 but by the time I was old enough to appreciate the city, things were still pretty much the same. Every Wednesday, my father would take me and my mother into the city, usually by subway. it was a great time to be a kid.

Catarina

New in Town
Thank you for the link, loved the video.
I live in New York and it's wonderful to imagine what it was like back then. I like how even in more glamorous times, it still had this sort of grimy quality about it :)

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
That was great, thanks for sharing the link!

If I ever visit NYC, I'll expect it to look like that and then be horribly disappointed that it no longer does...

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Gingerella72 said:
That was great, thanks for sharing the link!

If I ever visit NYC, I'll expect it to look like that and then be horribly disappointed that it no longer does...

There are a lot of the old buildings still there if you want to see old NYC. If you google New York City and you go to the maps, you can get street views right at your desk. Look downtown for some of the old buildings. Also look in some areas of the Bronx and Brooklyn. They have some buildings as old as the hills. Good luck.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Ok, those are really LARGE...

New-York-1944.jpg

New-York-1944-b.jpg

New-York-1941.jpg

1940's, year unknown.

Statue-of-Liberty-1940s.jpg

Bustercat

A-List Customer
It's a tough situation.. In NY (and elsewhere) there was this time in the 90s when all the diners "updated" their look from solid mid century soda hops to ugly pink, gold, and floral 80s decor. On the one hand they needed someway to give their business a boost to survive.
On the other hand, alot of trendy new restauranteurs comb dumps for the fixtures they threw away to open up new restaurants that are always packed. You can't win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran