Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie: Lucky or Sucker, you decide...

hargist

One of the Regulars
Amazing! You will soon have a lot of friends on the FL. In fact, I've been looking for a new best friend.

What do you have in a 7 1/4, friend?

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
Congrats! I guess this would be akin to finding an old car in some farmers barn. Those stories any of us car guys have heard about.

I think your best bet is to probably post pics of any of the hats you may be wondering about as you go through them. On here you'll get an honest assesment of worth and age. And of course many hopes of purchase....7 5/8 *cough*.

I look forward to your future posts and good luck with your task! I think you made a terrific find.

Razzman

One Too Many
First off, welcome to the Lounge. I think you will like it here, the members are knowledgable and friendly. Second, it looks like you hit the fedora jackpot. I'm sure you'll have no problem identifying what you have. If you decide to part with any hat, you'll have no problem moving them.
Congratulations. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Just where, dear new member, on your bottom, do you prefer to be kissed? lol

We will be watching for details. Well done. You won't lack for advice once you get a proper inventory and some photos up. This is the very best place to find correct information.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
scotrace said:
Just where, dear new member, on your bottom, do you prefer to be kissed?

Who'd have thought, J. B. ...two Loungers in a race to the bottom of lost pride and we both just got trumped by a Bartender!?! lol

Hokay, Mister Scotrace...you Mister "come-from-out-of-nowhere"...you Mister "smarty-pants"...you can "say 'hello' to my li'l friend":

Mr. Johnnyphi, I give you....my sister!

mineral

One of the Regulars
I suppose this is what being circled by vultures in the middle of the desert feels like?

Congratulations on your deal. :eusa_clap

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Thank you for the warm, if not effusive, welcome. Of course, it helps that I come bearing gifts! I'm flattered by the flattery! I should hang out with y'all more often! I'm also thankful for the useful tips and advice. The last thing I want to do is become a sucker by ruining any of these pieces of history.

Unfortunately, I can't share many details of our find because I do not want to expose the kindly old WWII veteran to a similar onslaught of appreciation, but I can guarantee that I will do my best to protect this treasure trove during the move process.

While most of the hats have been stored in closed boxes, other boxes were left open over the years, and those hats are not in mint condition. As I mentioned, I haven't opened every box, but I did find that several of the exposed hats will need some TLC... Real fixerupers!

I've got some photos taken at the time of purchase... based on your collective interest, I think you'll enjoy the show. I'm going to work on posting them, now.

Jovan

Suspended
Any trilbies/stingy brims or fedoras you have in dark brown or dark gray will immediately colour my interest. 7 1/2! Sorry if I'm being pushy, but I don't want to miss out.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
First Test Photo Upload

Third attempt:

DressHats-05.jpg

This is a great example of what I've got. I pulled these Blue/Grey Royal Stetsons straight out of the box and set them on top for the photo. (The third hat is barely visible under the cardboard protection.)

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Newer Hat Boxes

This photo shows some of the newer hat boxes. As you can see... Some of them haven't even been unpacked from the shipping boxes.

UndisturbedHatBoxes.jpg

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
Wow....

Hey mates, I want in on the flattering too! I just want to spare my new friend Johnny here from this onslaught of mad hatters -I think he oughtta come out here to Kansas where he'll be safe. Well, if he can't come out here, he ought to send a good portion of his haul, so that it'll be on safe heads -I mean hands, and all that.

You, sir, have hit the proverbial jackpot, it seems. At leat from the perspective of the average FL member, anyway :D

Don't hesitate to post detailed pictures and ask questions when they come up, I'm sure you'll find a slew of help. A bit of reading here in the hat forum should give you a good idea of what is what concerning vintage headgear. There are, of course, also suit and jacket forums here, for the clothes you mentioned in the first post.

*resists the urge -and fails in this endeavor- to put in a plug for his own hat size of 7 3/8 or 7 1/2*

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
¬°Welcome to the Lounge johnnyphi! Congrats on your early Christmas gift. ¬°Im sure it has been everyone dream here at one point or another!
And by the looks of it, it appears there are a few 7 1/8 melons out there as well...Hmmm...rock, paper, scissors? I choose a-bomb :p
In all seriousness though, I envy you and am happy to hear a connosseur of things vintage came across this remarkable find!

Looking forward to hearing more! Keep us updated..

Please and Thank You,
=Adrian=

carter

I'll Lock Up
johnnyphi said:
Third attempt:

DressHats-05.jpg

This is a great example of what I've got. I pulled these Blue/Grey Royal Stetsons straight out of the box and set them on top for the photo. (The third hat is barely visible under the cardboard protection.)

John, Keep posting pictures of open crown fedoras and you are certain to garner more "new best friends" and shameless obeisances. :D

You have done well. Congratulations and best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace