Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie question: How is crown height measured?

Davidson

One of the Regulars
My first post - I've learned a lot by lurking and searching the past weeks, thanks for the collective contributions to FL.

Sometimes hats with shallow crowns hit the top of my head. My Miller Stetson ("Flint") just touches. I'm trying to figure out how crown height is measured (as stated in ads).

- If there is one measurement given, is it to the highest part of the crown from the brim? Or where is it measured?
- Of hats with the same stated crown height, which crown type (teardrop, center dent, telescope...) has more "head clearance?

Thanks!

Topper

Vendor
From top side of brim next to the headband to the Tip of the Crown ( highest point).

If there are any differences due to irregular shapes, that info can be placed as information, but the "crown" height is the height of the crown, not the inside height of the liner or the inside room or the hat size which may or may not include the depth of the underbrim.

Pip-Pip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner