Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newly made Dobbs Savoy

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Hello
What is the opinion on the new Dobbs Savoy? I believe it is sold through Berkley Hat Co. Also anybody ever deal with this company?
I know everyone says get originals but sometimes finding the correct size and price is impossible on my budget. Being on a very strict budget, I was looking at one for sale and it is 45.00 (New, never worn, they just didn't need it anymore). I figure for that price, I could wear without the fear of if I damage it then it would bother me as mouch as if I paid 200 plus for an original.
I did notice it has a center crease but Iprefer a "C" crown. Can this be reshaped to a "C" crown

viclip

Practically Family
These are apparently close-out hats.
For 45 bucks personally I'd pick one up regardless of the crown bash style & even if I'd prefer a wider brim than the listed 2-3/8".

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
I measured the brim and from what I see , it is 2 1/2 and the crown height is 5 1/2 . I see on some of the various hat sites, they list or show one with the 2 3/8 brim and 4 inch crown. Maybe the older ones had these larger dimensions. I will have to try and take pics.
Here is one that I found on EBAY withthe same dimensions as the one I measured.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mens-DO...n-Formal-Fedora-2-1-2-Wide-Brim-/171071113560

So for 45.00, I should buy the one I am looking at? really wanted a C shape crown.

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
Personally I wouldn't think twice about picking up a good quality brand new fur felt hat with a 2-1/2" brim width & 5-1/2" crown height at that price point. I would gladly tolerate the existing crown bash. Having said that, it is often possible with the aid of steam & brushing to re-configure the crown configuration but I'm hesitant to so advise because on some hats the old crease lines can be stubborn to fully remove. I can't say whether the Dobbs hat can be re-configured at home, but then again if not you could always restore the original shape.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Thanks for the positive advice . Maybe it would be best just to leave as is. It really isn't a bad looking style..

I like center dents as well as C crowns, my first hat, a Stetson Saxon, and one made by Mike Moore have center dents. If they have 7 1/8th, pm me the place and I might get one. Im in Memphis but Ill be in Nashville next Friday

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
I like center dents as well as C crowns, my first hat, a Stetson Saxon, and one made by Mike Moore have center dents. If they have 7 1/8th, pm me the place and I might get one. Im in Memphis but Ill be in Nashville next Friday

Mine is from a private individual, so the price is a lot lower than if ordered from a company or the ebay link I posted. That was just for reference only.

Last edited:

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
As I was researching, this style/deminsions are not being produced anymore. They were a limited run. Seems much better than the newer Savoy with the narrower brim (2 3/8) and lower crown (4)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Btw Berkeley Hat co is my hometown store. They don't do a lot of high end stuff, but they do brisk enough business to survive as a brick and mortar store of Telegraph ave. Bought my first wool stingy there, and a Stetson straw. Can't speak to their online business, but its a reputable store.

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
I am supposed to be getting it in the mail tomorrow so I will have pics up. Little bit on the price clarification. I actually paid with shipping 75.00. But I had sold another older Penney's) hat (too small) and had a 30.00 profit on it. I just subtracted tht amount form this one so that makes me only paying 45.00 for this hat. I thought it equaled rather well.

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
Good job!

How did you find the Dobbs felt to work with?
Were you able to remove all traces of the factory crease?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner