Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

News about Marlowe project

Feraud

Bartender
The problem as I see it is...
ABC's modern take on the classic Raymond Chandler character, it looks like it could be a return to the great private eye genre that TV fans have been waiting for.

You cannot do a modern take on a classic story and expect it to be a "return to the genre". The write up sounds so confused it is hilarious. I doubt ABC has the vision to create a Blade Runner like scenario.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Just remember what they did to Dragnet with Al Bundy!

I'm still holding out hope for the Clive Owen "Marlowe" project but if this ABC thing gets greenlighted, they may can the movie.

vintage68

Practically Family
Feraud said:
The problem as I see it is...

You cannot do a modern take on a classic story and expect it to be a "return to the genre". The write up sounds so confused it is hilarious. I doubt ABC has the vision to create a Blade Runner like scenario.

I'm not so sure I agree with you. Take your example of Blade Runnner, probably the best reinterpretation of the genre out there. Granted, the production values in tv are often far lower than film, but I happen to believe that it is possible to "do a modern take on a classic story" and have very good results.

With that said, I think that in tv as in life, the secret to happiness is lowered expectations...;-)

Feraud

Bartender
vintage68 said:
With that said, I think that in tv as in life, the secret to happiness is lowered expectations...;-)
Do not lower your expectations. That is exactly how writers and producers get away with "A modern interpretation / return to the genre nonsense. :)

It is possible to do a modern take on classic stories. Most stories are just that!

What I mean in my earlier comments have more to do with picking your ground and standing it. I cannot stand to read how a producer is "going back" to a genre while updating it, in the same breath! It makes no sense and will rarely fly.

I also specified ABC does not have the vision to do it. ABC is secure in their Desperate Housewives and Dancing with the Stars programming. Chandler is waaaayyy out of their league.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Rockford Files was essentially a "modern take" on a Marlowe type character, and I liked that well enough.

For me it's a question of whether I want to see Phillip Marlowe talking on a cell phone and doing most of his research on a computer. I don't. Modern technology makes the real life job easier, but it makes the dramatization potentially far less interesting. However, if the writing is any good, it may work out reasonably well.

I just can't figure out why the Marlowe/Chandler connection is so important to a project like this; are those names really that marketable these days?

BTW I didn't think that Dragnet show was all that bad, but I've never seen a single episode of Married with Children so the Al Bundy thing was not an issue for me. Ed O'Neill was a real actor before he became a very rich one.

vintage68

Practically Family
I think we're arguing the same point from different ends. As you said, most stories are modern interpretations of older versions (Greek myths anyone?). I believe it IS possible to breathe new life into old forms (westerns and noir for example), and it's possible for tv to pull it off.

But you're right, with the current crop of dreck out there (American Idol, Housewives, et al), it ain't gonna happen on any of the networks. HBO could pull it off, Showtime maybe, but it would take a major budget and creative commitment. Reality tv is just too cheap to make, and highly profitable because they don't have to hire talent, writers, etc. Just come up with a concept, get sponsers, and bingo!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I think we all agree here that we want it to be a good show worthy of the Marlowe name. Rockford is a great show. I also think why use the Marlowe name if the character is going to be in a modern setting. Other detectives use first person voice-overs.

For our tastes to the 1940's, the movie idea may serve us best though because there seems to be a recent trend in vintage period pieces. TV dramas set in the 30s/40's don't seem to be very successful. Nero Wolfe and the recent HBO Marlowe both were very well done but not big audience grabbers. Also, to do it right takes $$$$$$$, otherwise it looks too fake.

czack

One of the Regulars
As with the Al Bundy as Dragnet, I think we're confusing the issues. Modern takes on a classic story is one thing but remaking classic shows is another. Dragnet was Jack Webb. Giving a remake the same title and format doesn't make it the same as its classic inspiration.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
czack said:
As with the Al Bundy as Dragnet, I think we're confusing the issues. Modern takes on a classic story is one thing but remaking classic shows is another. Dragnet was Jack Webb. Giving a remake the same title and format doesn't make it the same as its classic inspiration.

Not Dan Ackroyd? [huh]

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I dedicate my life to the idea that Marlowe can be revisited in modern times. That's just the kind of stories I write.

Altman did it for Marlowe in the 70s. Beautifully.

Cell phones and computers bug me, too, though. They are going to have to give Marlowe a nostalgic techno-distrust. If Marlowe is the correct age (What was it, a perpetual 38?), I think this can work. If they make Marlowe under 30, I'd be a little hesitant.

Jovan

Suspended
I think a lot of you need to see Brick. Possibly one of the best modern "detective" movies done. Mind you, it's no remake of a previous set of characters, but it's still a testament to the fact that the detective genre can be done well in a modern setting.

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
I think a lot of you need to see Brick. Possibly one of the best modern "detective" movies done. Mind you, it's no remake of a previous set of characters, but it's still a testament to the fact that the detective genre can be done well in a modern setting.
I have seen Brick and rarely hear it spoken of. Is that is what ABC wants for it's Marlowe project.:) Brick is definitely a remake of a previous set of characters. Each character is a Noir archetype. The detective, the murdered girl, the bad guy, the muscle, the femme fatale, the bulls, etc., etc.
A decent soundtrack too.

I enjoyed the film but prefer Memento.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Jovan said:

Seen it a couple times, and loved it, but I don't really see the movie as a revision of the genre in modern times. Too ridiculous. It is more of a fun tribute to the genre. Almost a parody, but done so darn well that it was good in itself.

Jovan

Suspended
Dan Aykroyd, from my understanding, was making his character slightly more ridiculous on purpose. You have to admit, the original series was quite unintentionally funny at times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum