Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a superb jacket. It is not only a perfect fit, but the workmanship is second to none! The fantail Talon zip is a great finishing touch from JC.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Allen,
I always knew this was the jacket for your build, and I was right! Absolutely perfect! Enjoy it my friend. Talk to you later.

Brian

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Dang Nabbit! The last thing I need is another great looking jacket by another maker being posted. You are killing me. That is truly a stunning coat!!

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Well Dortiz they are not currently taking orders (according to their website) so you can sleep well tonight. That is literally the exact jacket I've been looking for.

Last edited:

CBI

One Too Many
Actually, John is about ready to begin taking orders again...........

Tadite

Familiar Face
It's great to see a Good Wear out in the real world! My only problem is that now I'm spending my time figuring out the differences between chrome tanned seal brown horsehide (from Horween so likely like Aero), veg tanned seal brown horsehide from Japan, and then the other veg tanned goat seal brown.... And what the heck is the Wax finished version? Speaking of which could someone remind me what the advantage/disadvantages are between veg and chrome tanned horsehide?

With all the treads talking about 1930 Aero Half-Belts it's nice to remember the Ventura is a option. Thing I also like about Good Wear is that they list the weights of the leather. Seems far more on the wearable side (4 pounds for a jacket with 2 to 2.5 ounce weights instead of the 3-4 ounce for Aero/Lost Worlds) then some of the motorcycle styles from both Aero and especially Lost Worlds. I'm getting the impression that all of the Good Wear jackets are made from what Aero would call A-2 leather and what we'd think of as mid-weight.

If I was to do it I'd likely get a tailored slim cut Ventura and either Veg Tanned Japan Seal Brown Horsehide or the Seal Brown Goatskin....

Great jacket!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I'm getting the impression that all of the Good Wear jackets are made from what Aero would call A-2 leather and what we'd think of as mid-weight.

The Good Wear goatskin is certainly the right weight and thickness when compared wartime goatskin jackets and is 'mid-weight', in the sense that the Lost Worlds leather appears to be exceptionally thick and heavy. The capeskin is slightly lighter than competitor's jackets

767fo

One of the Regulars
Tadite, I own an Aero Highwayman and to be honest I could not imagine my Ventura in that hide. The Hide is fine for the cut of the Highwayman but in my opinion is way to thick and heavy for a vintage trim half belt. Any hide that John offers would be ideal for any style jacket and the two that you mentioned would look great.

I missed a GW A2 yesterday on eBay. $700 opening bid, $800 BIN. Someone BIN'd it. I guess I hesitated due to the wanting a custom jacket for that price, but I may have missed my 2nd "shoulda bought" jacket in as many months...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace