Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Windward said:

Thanks Windward - I'm looking for some real quality plain front chinos. The link to Bills khakis look good but I would like to see a photo of someone wearing a pair rather than a drawing like on their website.

This guy looks OK in plain front khakis http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RoNPq6yrM...HZKw/s400/steve-mcqueen--the-great-escape.jpg

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
This thread has my name all over it...

I don't post often but I must this time around to chime on how good these Goodwear jackets are.
I recently took delivery of my own version of the Ventura. Not only is the quality there, but the look and fit is truly neo-vintage. I have certain specs I try to have included on all my custom-made leather jackets and until I crossed paths with John, only Dave at Langlitz was on the list of makers patient enough to deal with my compulsive fastidious attention to detail!
I've purchased jackets from them all; Aero, Lost Worlds, Eastman, etc., but this jacket nails the 'look' I try to achieve the best!
I was also fortunate enough to have John himself measure me for it, so you can imagine how good this jacket fits.
Pictures of the actual jacket (John was kind enough to photograph it).

front_view2 named by Khalil Sheikh, on Flickr

front_view1 named by Khalil Sheikh, on Flickr

reverse_view1 named by Khalil Sheikh, on Flickr

Cal_Ventura named by Khalil Sheikh, on Flickr

collar named by Khalil Sheikh, on Flickr

sleeve_cuff named by Khalil Sheikh, on Flickr

label named by Khalil Sheikh, on Flickr

inner_pocket named by Khalil Sheikh, on Flickr

belts named by Khalil Sheikh, on Flickr

Cooperson

One Too Many
KhalilSheikh -Thanks for posting these superb close up photos - really shows the jacket at it's very best. I would be interested to know how long you have had your jacket and how the hide is breaking in. Mine is softening up beautifully, even after the short time I have owned it.

Do have any pictures of you wearing it? Would love to see the fit.

Cheers

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Cooperson, this is an outstanding build John's provided you with. Great to see the others in the thread as well. I like John and and he's on my buy list just after my Langlitz constructions are done.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Nice looking jacket Kalil.

But I do wonder what use the 'bi-swing' is on this and the Aero jackets as they end too low down to be of much actual use. The shoulders stay tight and the reach isn't improved IMVHO.

On the G-1s it works great.

Dave

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Dudley

I have a similar back design on my 1930's halfbelt from Aero, the only difference being an added inverted pleat (split) down the spine. Is it the most effective system? Perhaps not, but it DOES look cool. Also, you do notice the extra "give" when reaching upwards...

Cooperson

One Too Many
Tony No-Toes - Many thanks. Yes, the build quality of this jacket is indeed superb - the stitching looks absolutely perfect to my eye. If I could raise the funds, I would also love own one of John's A2's.

Dudleydoright - Have to agree with RP McMurphy here. The lower set action back does give a degree of freedom but it's probably not the most effective design if you want to reach for the handlebars of a motor bike. Having said that, as a stylish civilian 40's style jacket it does look very sharp :)

hasselhoff

One of the Regulars
Cooperson said:
Being a fan of Californian style jackets I have drooled over the Goodwear 40's style Ventura for a long time. Today, I finally have one in the house.

Although quite similar in style to my Aero Californian, it is shorter with a vintage trim fit. The quality of the workmanship is something to behold and the front quarter horse is beautiful - not quite as rigid as my Highwayman was fresh out the box. The hide is still heavy but pliable and I get the feeling it with break in quite quickly as the grain is already showing.

Basic details are: Vintage sized 42" (trim fit). Russet brown, vegetable-tanned, aniline finished front quarter horsehide. Action back. Reproduction riveted main zipper with Waldes name (copy of 1937 Talon zipper).Vintage Talon ball-chain zipper in chest pocket. Inner snap pocket and a burgundy rayon lining.

My only concern is that it might be a little too trim in the fit for me, so I would very much appreciate opinions of how it looks. Here are the pics:

Ventura---jacket--front.jpg

Ventura---jacket---back.jpg

Ventura---jacket---lining.jpg

Ventura---close-up---front.jpg

Ventura---jacket---inner-po.jpg

Ventura---full-length---sid.jpg

Ventura---full-length---bac.jpg

What kind of jeans is that, and where can I get a pair (on the web if possible)!

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
RP McMurphy said:
Dudley

I have a similar back design on my 1930's halfbelt from Aero, the only difference being an added inverted pleat (split) down the spine. Is it the most effective system? Perhaps not, but it DOES look cool. Also, you do notice the extra "give" when reaching upwards...

I have goat HBL myself so I do know of what I speak.

I presume that ease of movement is an Italian thing : makes it easier to surrender more quickly ! ;-)
Or perhaps the original designer liked doing the 'okey-dokey ?!!

Cheers,
dave

Cooperson

One Too Many
hasselhoff said:
What kind of jeans is that, and where can I get a pair (on the web if possible)!

Jeans are 'Carhartt Workwear EB210 Ranch Jeans'. They have quite a high rise and are 13.25 oz raw denim. I found just this one pair in TK Max, here in the UK, but I would think they would readily available in the US.

Cheers

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
The Carhartt's are very decent jeans IMO. The jacket fits great, not too trim at all I think. Nice brogues too (in fact this is pretty much what I wear most days ;) )

Cooperson

One Too Many
JakeHolman said:
The Carhartt's are very decent jeans IMO. The jacket fits great, not too trim at all I think. Nice brogues too (in fact this is pretty much what I wear most days ;) )

Thanks Jake - your obviously a man of style :)

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
Cooperson said:
KhalilSheikh -Thanks for posting these superb close up photos - really shows the jacket at it's very best. I would be interested to know how long you have had your jacket and how the hide is breaking in. Mine is softening up beautifully, even after the short time I have owned it.

Do have any pictures of you wearing it? Would love to see the fit.

Cheers
Hi Cooperson,
Thanks for the kind words. I just received the jacket about two weeks ago, and with the current LA weather, unfortunately it has not been possible for me to wear it in the wild. I'm really looking forward to wearing this when the weather cools off a bit.
This jacket uses John's new vegetable tanned horsehide from Japan, which is a bit thicker than his previous batch, yet already quite soft and supple out of the box. Unlike the stiffer hides offered by makers such as Lost Worlds (don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of LW as well), this jacket is already draping nicely.
I don't have any pictures (yet) of me wearing it, but I'll remedy that later this year when the time comes!
I recognized the Carhartt label, but didn't know which model you were wearing in your pictures, but it looks like someone else beat me to the question. Good match with that jacket!

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
Dudleydoright said:
Nice looking jacket Kalil.

But I do wonder what use the 'bi-swing' is on this and the Aero jackets as they end too low down to be of much actual use. The shoulders stay tight and the reach isn't improved IMVHO.

On the G-1s it works great.

Dave

I never thought of that, and now you got me wondering as well. Hard to answer though because the jacket has ample room to give me good unimpeded reach. As already mentioned in another post, even if not functional, the bi-swing back / yoke design looks great!

Cooperson

One Too Many
KhalilSheikh - Thanks for the info and the kind comments. The weather here in the Uk has just turned cool enough for wearing leather, so I wore my Ventura down the local pub for it's first outing - I think if I stood any closer to some of the regulars I would be wiping drool of it :)

As you mentioned, this hide does soften up and drape quite quickly and although I thought mine was a bit snug, I'm now very happy with the way it fits.

Hope you get chance to post some action pics - you can't beat seeing a jacket being worn to get true idea of how it's meant to look.

Cheers

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
Graemsay said:
How does the jacket compare to an Aero? I keep on having bad thoughts about the Californian Mojave...

Cal_Mojave.jpg

How do they compare in which regard?

Aero's offerings at their sale prices are worth it, but at full price I feel there are better options out there, depending on the specific model in question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo