Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newsboy/Bakerboy

davidraphael

Practically Family
I just bought myself a nice, black&tan tweed, herringbone 8-panel newsboy cap for my wedding. It's a repro, but I was wondering if anyone knows where I may be able to buy a period cap...

I can't believe I only just found this website - I've been looking for a site like this literally for years!!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
we have been wondering just where you were....

davidraphael said:
I just bought myself a nice, black&tan tweed, herringbone 8-panel newsboy cap for my wedding. It's a repro, but I was wondering if anyone knows where I may be able to buy a period cap...

I can't believe I only just found this website - I've been looking for a site like this literally for years!!

HIYA DAVID! Glad you found us, welcome!
:D

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Actual period pieces may sometimes be found in classifieds or on auction websites. You can also have good luck in second hand stores or antiques retailers (seems pretty rare) every once in a while. Unfortunately, you don't see as many flatcaps/newsboys as you do fedoras or other hats made with leather and felt. 'Tis the nature of the materials involved, I suppose.

However, there are various people online who can make you a cap with "vintage" proportions. Many people like B!Wear caps. There are a few custom jobs around to which some other members may be able to direct you. I'm partial to caps produced by Jonathan Richard of Ireland, although you won't find vintage proportions from them (none of the caps I have seen, anyway).

Welcome, by the way.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

There are plenty of manufacturers, including some custom ones, doing caps with patterns ranging from "similar" to "more or less" to those of the old times; but I do not know of any who reproduces the actual patterns. And, believe me, they are different. Not for the casual viewer, but different they are all the same.

And I do not mean that only nit-pickers would tell the difference, only that if you are not much familiar with newsboys they would all seem alike to you, but with a minimum of observation you would tell.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I own several original ones and completely agree with Torpedo. There is nothing on the market that matches the pattern of an original cap. Caps seem to be more rare than fedoras- they were more of an inexpensive, disposable item. But keep an eye on ebay- they do turn up from time to time, mostly in smaller sizes, but every now and again a bigger one.

What size hat do you wear?

navarre

Vendor
Dinerman said:
I own several original ones and completely agree with Torpedo. There is nothing on the market that matches the pattern of an original cap. Caps seem to be more rare than fedoras- they were more of an inexpensive, disposable item. But keep an eye on ebay- they do turn up from time to time, mostly in smaller sizes, but every now and again a bigger one.

What size hat do you wear?

Was wondering if you or Torpedo could offer up any pictures of the new versus original?

http://www.blacksheephatworks.com

YETI

A-List Customer
navarre said:
Was wondering if you or Torpedo could offer up any pictures of the new versus original?

Here's a thread link on vintage caps for better reference.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=43774

This link is for modern caps. You'll notice the difference. For some reason even the Japanese makers can't produce an accurate replica. They're great with denim, aloha shirts, militaria, work-wear etc., but not 20s 30s style caps.[huh]
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4972

navarre

Vendor
Great threads Yeti. I have some patterns for eight panel caps from a place called DL Designs. They supplied historical and vintage patterns but sadly went out of business this spring. Seems I've been busy with other hats and never got around to the eight panel cap. I did make some custom cloche hats from thier pattern work that were fantastic. I dont' often do a lot of flat pattern work but this thread has gotten me exited about trying one on for size. In fact I bought the pattern because I wear a wool eight panel that is my go to winter throw on. Have to see if I can get one going for fall. Thanks again for the link

Torpedo

One Too Many
navarre said:

Hello,

I have tried to do a comparative of sorts, showing an old and a new newsboy caps, in various angles.

Of course, it is not a true comparative, because the caps are made of different materials (vintage-linen, modern-cotton), not are they exactly the same crown size; but at least they are both in lighweight materials, and of not too dissimilar dimensions. I believe these are representative of their respective patterns.

(I do not know how to post the pics side-by-side, which would be more illustrative - if any fellow lounger is willing to do it, please feel free!)

This is the vintage example (no surviving manufacturer markings or labels):

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

And a modern example (made by Dorfman):

DSC00251.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

In my opinion, the old style is more elegant and more flattering to the wearer. As stated, apparently no modern manufacturer, and this includes custom ones, is able or willing to replicate the vintage pattern.

Navarre, I would be most interested if you suceeded in such an endeavour. And I am sure I am not alone... ;)

M6Classic

One of the Regulars

Hepville

One of the Regulars
J.B. said:
Good Grief, Hep -- those caps from retronia.de are AWESOME!!! :eek:
Yeah... they look really good!

I´ve posted this one a while back in another topic:
l_74484841d9f04b9795da00908796588d.jpg

Those are some Caps I´ve made.
When I´m done with me Flight Jacket and Varsity Jacket I will redraft my Caps pattern a bit and see how it looks.

Warden

One Too Many
Found mine in a shop down a little street in Whitstable.

It is repro, but boy do I love it

Harry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou