Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nik's vintage 1930s leather jacket sale size 36-38

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
*********** PICTURE-HEAVY THREAD ***********

I'm unloading my 1930s original vintage leather collection as I'm moving to a new location where such an abundance of clothes would be a hindrance.

This is my core collection of 1930s originals, the best of what I have been able to procure over many years. Condition is as good as it gets given the age, and all of these jackets have been properly stored on hangers ever since I got them.
Vintage leather of that age is difficult to clean, so my solution was to buy jackets that didn't need cleaning in the first place. There will be no itchy liners here, no weak seams, no flaking, thread rot or leather rot or anything else beyond lots of break and patina.

For reference, since I got fit pics for most of these jackets, I'm 5'8" with a 37-38" chest, 30-31" waist.

I'm happy to consider offers as well; I'll also gladly do bulk sales.
Note that I'm also selling Aeros size 36 and 38, and Eastmans (Irvin, B-3) size 38. Happy to combine.

Shipping from Germany via fully tracked parcels.
Shipping cost is the same for any parcel up to 5kg, next threshold is 10kg. I'm quoting the rates for 5kg and 10kg shipments below (5kg is roughly 11lbs).
5kg should be good for 2-3 jackets.

within Germany €6 / €8,50
within EU €16 / €21
to UK €27 / €35
to US €37 / €54
other countries, please enquire and I'll look up the rates.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
1930s (DE) German aviator short zip jacket horsehide 19.5in back

This is one amazing hide here, a thin horsehide, early 30s jacket with construction details from the 20s (shoulder/armskye is set inward, so the shoulder width is narrow by design), fully intact.
Measures 19.5 inch pit to pit , 23.5 inch shoulder to cuff, 16 inch shoulder to shoulder, 19.5 inch back.

€450,-

pPtYcg3.jpg

qenajgo.jpg

Atj4iKl.jpg

axs885z.jpg

cq7jwCb.jpg

9l5aVIz.jpg

3Ip6vCZ.jpg

Xv70IjI.jpg

nzffG6d.jpg

EC4zON5.jpg

wbRuBLT.jpg

3giOI5L.jpg

99qXr0K.jpg

N0nCo9m.jpg

nByAN9E.jpg

0xirtjS.jpg

LxasTXS.jpg

BMoixf4.jpg

QAuyjnW.jpg

RYqZek9.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
1930s (US) halfbelt sunburst back ponyhide jacket by Durable 21.5in back

Measures 21 inch pit to pit , 23 inch shoulder to cuff, 17 inch shoulder to shoulder.
Most amazing patina on this horsehide. The elbow is thinning on one side, but otherwise good.
The sunburst is not made of separate pieces of leather (the way Aero does their sunburst), but rather a dart sewn in, like the three-darted back of men's leather gloves.
Although the jacket doesn't have its Durable label anymore, it is definitely a Durable. I have handled an identical one that still had its label.
Replacement liner: Relined with a beautiful moss green cotton canvas. All liner parts (torso, sleeves, pockets) are quality replacements.

€275,-

aCYCXOK.jpg

yW05hCI.jpg

ksN3GmV.jpg

oUtWkAG.jpg

Y1Oisfv.jpg

AibtfAL.jpg

vSakd39.jpg

27hrMPG.jpg

0OvFI6g.jpg

2nbeS62.jpg

bO5odSv.jpg

hL1hmKT.jpg

5IwEpge.jpg

aVOelTb.jpg

DpB4Br4.jpg

iEPd4qK.jpg

efdbgE4.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
1930s-1944 (DE) German aviator elastic beltback Striwa Fabrikat 20in back

This is another lightweight horsehide, with the original liner made of moleskin in very good condition. Quite the drop (4") from back to front, so the front feels more like a jacket that would have a 22" back. The actual back length is 20"!
Striwa was one of the best brands back then, like Bergfreund.
4 zip pockets with Ball & Chain zippers. Main zipper is the 'Zipp - Lightning flash' zipper which is also stamped DRP Nurnberg, which dates the jacket. Most likely late 30s to early 40s, but the DRP Nurnberg zips were used until 1944.
Measures 20.5 inch pit to pit , 23.5 inch shoulder to cuff, 17 inch shoulder to shoulder.

€440,-

acURlem.jpg

ZCY2NHx.jpg

sPfsOP8.jpg

snENdfx.jpg

rN9KfSK.jpg

VliPWnG.jpg

oM7NvKo.jpg

a5xCusC.jpg

4Ys7k31.jpg

k1tJMPy.jpg

nvGgNjR.jpg

pR6j3pm.jpg

3zx2slE.jpg

0U1njOg.jpg

Mzuaxw0.jpg

8aNKF8x.jpg

OKyjIIL.jpg

sEnFlht.jpg

cZYYRUG.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
1940s (DE) early 40s German aviator zip front cotton liner, Marke Bergfreund 19.5in back

The actual weight of the whole jacket is 1100g, insanely thin but very well-preserved, totally wearable horsehide. I'v never seen horsehide that thin from any other than German pre-war makers, and this one certainly feels like an outlier to me.
I have to tried to capture the thin horsehide with the shot of the sleeve rolled in on itself (and I didn't fixate the sleeve in place!), the heavily angled flat pics and some shots of the collar flipped up. The entire jacket is flexible like that, and yet the hide has no weak points.
Bergfreund was one of the top brands.
4 zip pockets, waist buckle strap, cuff stud straps/zips, original plaid cotton lining in excellent condition.
Measures 21.5 inch pit to pit , 24 inch shoulder to cuff, 17 inch shoulder to shoulder, 19.5 inch back

€510,-

LZBcYRP.jpg

2RRCYXf.jpg

fFi4n8x.jpg

YSxaKbe.jpg

BYkaaGG.jpg

RUIjPdB.jpg

Gj5HZAq.jpg

q7zpvxa.jpg

dw14prX.jpg

pfFKZDu.jpg

4cYXZ5z.jpg

Ru7XJ0S.jpg

GpuXesG.jpg

HeFp4hM.jpg

k2W1l7d.jpg

GgDN1Bc.jpg

cV6D8pt.jpg

H75SrJG.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
1930s (US) late 30s goatskin halfbelt, button front, 22in back

Amazing patina on this goatskin. Original rayon liner.
Button front, flap + hand pockets, side buckle straps, cuff button straps.
Measures 20 inch pit to pit , 23.5 inch shoulder to cuff, 17 inch shoulder to shoulder, 22 inch back.

€410.-

dTnHMho.jpg

uVwAqe4.jpg

sPtnikM.jpg

fZe5wSB.jpg

RXOel0U.jpg

b8zYc0J.jpg

kuk6SUe.jpg

qo1Uvkx.jpg

CavEvu1.jpg

UXCasgE.jpg

y3bY4Q5.jpg

RnnaYCk.jpg

4IXYbQn.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
1930s (US) late 30s two-tone halfbelt, button front, horsehide, 23in back

This is actually the very same model as the goatskin jacket above, but with a zip instead of a button closure at the vertical chest pocket. Also, the chest pocket is left side only while the goatskin version has two chest pockets. I have in fact seen (online) the same model in yet another version (pictured at the very bottom of the photo series, side-by-side with the jacket for sale), with a zip front closure instead of the buttoned front that these two jackets have.

The hide on this one is horsehide in a lovely two-tone version that has aged beautifully to a less contrasy tan and mid brown.
Condition is once again fantastic. One small, very well made period repair at the sleeve; one of those snake-shaped repairs that hold extremely well.
The liner is a plaid cotton, also original. Beautiful corozo buttons in a shape that was popular in the late 30s to roughly 1941.

Measures 21.5 inch pit to pit , 24.5 inch shoulder to cuff, 23 inch back, 17.5 inch shoulder to shoulder.

Below the fit pics are some natural light outdoor flat shots.

€435.-

2G33dCb.jpg

xJzg0Oc.jpg

Bw8xQKk.jpg

5mle8xf.jpg

WJJpgKF.jpg

RgmoRLF.jpg

R5N7roT.jpg

C1u7I7p.jpg

i4xStqF.jpg

Z3irB0w.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
1944-46 (US) mid 40s suede cossack by Durable,Talon zip, 21.25in back, tagged size 36

Fantastic condition for a suede jacket, only very minor stains. Collar also in good condition, as is the rayon liner. Waistband is well-preserved and still retains its elasticity.
The color is a saturated, beautiful rust. Please go by my outdoor fit pics for color rendition. The hide is hefty but not heavyweight and well-preserved. The entire jacket weighs about 750g.
Measures 20” pit to pit, 15 1/2" waist, 21” back, 18" shoulder to shoulder, 23" shoulder to cuff

€225

N7C9147.jpg

2ovOmqn.jpg

fxePpsS.jpg

wGYpP4v.jpg

RiHFpPl.jpg

mhV8dpu.jpg

NgagvyJ.jpg

wntnUHK.jpg

VyqBa0g.jpg

hNjQRpf.jpg

6q8gZTq.jpg

b0NbSgQ.jpg

EoApLAC.jpg

vuv2BDx.jpg

qm918me.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
One jacket has sold: 1930s (US) halfbelt sunburst back ponyhide jacket by Durable 21.5in back

All the others are still available.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
These are some really amazing jackets. The grain and character on that first posted jacket is nearly beyond compare. Your vintage pics were a real treat to go thru. Great style all the way around. If you were my size, I would have to go into my retirement fund;). I really look forward to your upcoming postings and of course, best of luck with the sales. Although, to be unable to sell any of these and to have to be "stuck" with them would not be the worst thing in the world I suppose:rolleyes:.

Prost!!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
These are some really amazing jackets. The grain and character on that first posted jacket is nearly beyond compare. Your vintage pics were a real treat to go thru. Great style all the way around. If you were my size, I would have to go into my retirement fund;). I really look forward to your upcoming postings and of course, best of luck with the sales. Although, to be unable to sell any of these and to have to be "stuck" with them would not be the worst thing in the world I suppose:rolleyes:.

Prost!!

True, true. Thank you.

Yes, the first jacket is really something. I haven't seen anything like it among vintage jackets before or since.
I'm still not sure if the extreme amount of break in that hide is due to wear only, or caused by a treatment of the hide before the jacket was made, similar perhaps to the battered steerhide and horsehide of Aero's.

I'm leaning towards the latter - I own a battered steerhide and the similarity in how the hide feels to the touch is there.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Perhaps it is battered. I don't know much history on tanning processes but it could also be some other old world technique for softening hides. Either way, the even patina coupled with that graining is intoxicating. Someone will get a gem in that jacket......or you will retain a gem.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
The majority of jackets in this sale thread, plus some more, are now on ebay Germany, see direct links below.

As the location is not exactly an advantage, I don't expect all or even many of them to sell in the first round.

I'm happy to deal through the forum as long as no bids have been placed.
The starting prices are mostly a gamble. Happy to sell right away at the quoted prices from this thread, and will consider offers.

1930s (US) vintage suede capeskin cossack jacket by Summers Sportswear size 36

1930s-1944 German aviator cyclist leather jacket size 36 by Striwa Fabrikat

1930s original vintage German aviator cyclist horsehide leather jacket size 36

1930s brown goatskin American halfbelt jacket Lederjacke, button front, size 36

1930s brown two-tone American halfbelt jacket Lederjacke, button front, size 38

1960s BRIMACO D-Pocket cross-zip black leather Motorcycle Jacket size 36

1944-46 rust suede leather flight jacket Lederjacke by Durable size 36

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner