Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobody Has Posted Their Fed IV Yet?

fatwoul

Practically Family
Nobody on here has posted anything about their Federation Mk IV? I can't believe I am the only guy who has one.

Mine arrived on Monday, and it's currently sitting on top of a fishtank, with my hat stretcher in it. The slight humidity and the heat of the lightbulbs is just what it needs to gradualy shrink the size 58 hat to my exact size. It's almost there already, and its only been stewing for 24 hours.

RBH

Bartender
fatwoul said:
Nobody on here has posted anything about their Federation Mk IV? I can't believe I am the only guy who has one.

Mine arrived on Monday, and it's currently sitting on top of a fishtank, with my hat stretcher in it. The slight humidity and the heat of the lightbulbs is just what it needs to gradualy shrink the size 58 hat to my exact size. It's almost there already, and its only been stewing for 24 hours.
Hey Fats!!!!great to hear ya got a new Federation!!!
But where are the photos? :D

fatwoul

Practically Family
Thanks for the warm welcome, both. Now that I am working regular hours, I'm slower at taking photos of stuff like this (stuff that doesn't pay!), but I hope to have some pictures up by the weekend.

As for the sizing difference, I did get an email about it from HatsDirect before they shipped my hat, but when I replied they told me they had already put a size 58 on to be long-ovalised for me, and it was being shipped the next day.

58 is the same size as my first Fed back in the summer, and out of the box this one felt the same size - that is to say, it felt the same amount too large as my original Fed did.

The base shape of the hat is indeed different. The dome of the crown is flatter, and (on mine, at least), the crown has a pleasant reverse taper on the sides, but seems slightly shorter than my previous hat. The brim is a little more curved than my previous Fed, and might be a touch larger. However, I trimmed my original one down significantly, so the brim might be the same.

I like this hat shape very much, but since I have yet to put a shape into it, I don't know how it will look once it's creased.

My plan is to photograph it in the same way as my previous one, so we can look at the two side-by-side, before I shape it.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Fed IV on order and it has been shipped. I bought the heritage fawn color. I had been looking at a banjo paterson in that color, but I decided against the downturned all around brim.

I'll let you see the Fed IV when it arrives.

Bob

pils

New in Town
BobC said:
I have a Fed IV on order and it has been shipped. I bought the heritage fawn color. I had been looking at a banjo paterson in that color, but I decided against the downturned all around brim.

I'll let you see the Fed IV when it arrives.

Bob

I have been eyeing that heritage fawn deluxe Fed too. I will be looking forward to seeing some real life pictures!

/Niels

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Mine has been shipped too, earliest expected arrival date was yesterday. I ain't going far from here in the daytime until it arrives! Advantage of working from home. Will post pics and initial impressions when it gets in.
- Bill

fatwoul

Practically Family
Please excuse the hurried, shoddy images, but I was keen to post pictures of the hat before I shaped it, although I really haven't decided what shape it needs:

FedIVSideSML.jpg

FedIVFrontSML.jpg

FedIVTopSML.jpg

Yes, the crown has a couple of dents in it, and the side profile looks a little peculiar, but this is down to the ovalising HatsDirect do for me, and doesn't affect the look of the hat once it is shaped. It's also a little exaggerated in the images due to the lighting, and the lens I used.

From the front, I really like the reverse taper going on.

MAB1

Suspended
RBH said:
Robin, that reverse taper is fantastic!!!:eusa_clap
Cant wait to see what magic you work on it!!!!

It would look great with a Crystal Skull crease.

Wait a minute...

All this time I spend trying to get rid of that taper? And now it's a style?

I give up. lol

Well I take that back. It'll make my life easier. ;)

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fatwoul, thanks for the pics. I'm expecting mine late this week or early next week. I'd be interested in seeing how you crease it too. This will be my first open crown hat.

IC, I'd like to see your pictures too. Will you post them here or PM them to me too?

Pils, I'll get some pics up ASAP.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic