Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-ugly running shoes?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Anyone recommend any? Of a vintage, classic appearance or just anything that doesn't look like you've taken bad drugs. I went to look to replace an existing pair today and it hurt my eyes. Ideally not equally eye-wateringly expensive.

I usually hang out in the Outerwear forums, so hello.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Could be a tough one...I have to wear monstrosities to work..managed to find a classic looking pair once in leather & suede that split first time I put them through their paces.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Anyone recommend any? Of a vintage, classic appearance or just anything that doesn't look like you've taken bad drugs.
This might be helpful or it might be so unhelpful that it's a tease. About 20 years ago, I bought a stonking pair of running shoes in The States, but, and this is the tease, I can't remember where, nor have I seen them on the internet, but as I'm pathetic with internet searches, maybe they are there. These running shoes are technically a sandal, although they have the appearance of trainers. The dark patches are actually the sandals holes, the black and white lace is elasticated. If you like them, then happy searching.

Edward

Bartender
I always fancied a pair of those ones that are like gloves for your feet. If only they did the in leather! Can't comment on their utility for running, though - not something I do.

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
I like "heritage" brands for everything I do in life.

I wear Chuck Taylors or PF Flyers for just about all physical/athletic activities. I think casual shoes have become over-specialized (and uglier) in recent decades, but those two still have the classic look and classic functionality.

If I was going to look for more of a specialized shoe for running, with the "curved" type of sole but still maintaining a vintage look, I would probably go for Onitsuka Tiger. These, for instance:
http://www.onitsukatiger.com/us/en-us/mexico-66/p/0010228136.0490
http://www.onitsukatiger.com/us/en-us/mexico-66/p/0010247999.2571

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own 2 pairs of the Mexico 66 and a few other Onitsuka. They are purely vintage style sneakers revived for looks these days. My experience is they do not last very long unless you buy the Made in Japan ones. The real running shoes by that company are now under the Asics label.

coljay

New in Town
You could look at Vivobarefoot. Their Primus Lux, in leather, is pretty classy, and the Primus Lite is good in some colourways. Unlike some retro brands these are actually running shoes. I run in the Lite model all the time. UK based company.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
I am a bit of a sneakerhead and just bought these:

s-l1600%201_zpskmjpbobk.jpg

Nike Air Max 90. Not really vintage though.

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
Samuel Hubbard markets what they call the "un-sneaker" in various styles, some of which look good in my estimation. Not literally a running shoe, but not too far off. You can replace the insert with your ortho if need be. I have a pair, and like them a lot -- light and comfortable.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
The Mexico 66s are the right look but seems my back would collapse after actually running in them for more than a few hundred metres.

Someone complimented me on my pair of these on the weekend but you can't run in them, either (apart from anything else, they're too expensive).

Curious how most modern sneakers are so hideous. And people collect them.

The search continues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80