Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Normandy 2009 and beyond

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Some pictures from the D-Day anniversary in Normandy and our tour of European battlefields in Rum Buggy, our '44 GPW.

Dog Green sector, Omaha Beach, 6:00 AM, June 6, 2009
DSC_1186BG.jpg

DSC_1220BG.jpg

101st Airborne tribute, Place de la Republique, Carentan.
DSC_1396FL.jpg

The Colleville Draw, Omaha Beach.
DSC_1061FL.jpg

Sainte-Marie-du-Mont, near Utah Beach
DSC_0826FL.jpg

Vierville-sur-Mer, Friday is swap meet day and a traffic jam of military vehicles ensues. Where are the MPs?!
DSC_0905FL.jpg

Rum Buggy on the causeway to Mont Saint Michel.
P1010391FL.jpg

A herd of wild ponies serve as the only monument to the 82nd Airborne's heroic boat crossing of the Waal River to take the Nijmegen road bridge during Market-Garden.
P1010433.jpg

Dragon's teeth still mark the Siegfried Line near Zweifall, Germany
P1010489FL.jpg

The prize! A Sherman tank track still lies in the Kall Trail after 65 years, in the Hurtgen Forest near Vossenack, Germany.
P1010478FL.jpg

Eyemo

Practically Family
Hey... Great to hear you had a good time...How amazing to bump into you..
Cheers,
Seimon

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
That Bridge looks awfully familiar ! I've been on it a couple of times. I was born in Nijmegen. I was just there in May. On way to the Bridge we went down a side street and ended up in a Red Light district. I did not that they had one there. Those are really cool pictures next year France.

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Hey... Great to hear you had a good time...How amazing to bump into you..Cheers,Seimon

Yep, tens of thousands of people, perhaps a thousand vintage military vehicles, and we bump in Eyemo at the Super U in Sainte-Mere-Eglise on the very first day--really, in the first hour, just after getting off the ferry at Cherbourg! That was indeed amazing.

Great pics. Must have been a fantastic tour. Did you do it all in the jeep?

That was the original plan but the weather turned awful on June 7 and the jeep is not really a gran turismo, so eventually we went back to the UK and parked it, then returned with a modern car and did a high(er) speed version of the original tour.

Did you travel there with a group, club or just friends

Her Ladyship and I were invited to camp at Carentan with the North Staffordshire Military Vehicle Trust, who were perfect hosts. After the Normandy commemorations, we were on our own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner