Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nostalgia 50s

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
image513780x.jpg

the drive-in is back!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/09/sunday/main1483026.shtml

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Sonic?

In the Southwest and California Central Valley there is the Sonic Hamburger chains with a psuedo drive in; you pull up and order and they'll walk the food out to you. I remember the last ones in the '70s in California where they'd put the trays on your windows. In fact, in Clermont Florida there is an modern A&W that has those trays, but not the Florida cuties in roller skates.:(

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Glad to hear that...I loved going to the Drive-In when I was a kid. If the movie that you paid to see(O.K.,that my parents paid for :rolleyes: ) was boring, you could turn your head and watch another screen to see a different picture. I loved those old speakers that you'd roll up on the window. No Dolby sound...sometimes just barely sound but it was still a fun time. And if you're inside your car you don't have to listen to ringing cell phones...unless of course you forget to turn yours off...;)

I hope that someone decides to open some Drive-Ins here in Northern California,we need some again!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
What a moron I am.:D I didn't read the article and I immediately thought of food. Yeah, Drive In movies were cool. Until 1998 there was a Drive-In theather in Union City, CA(SF Bay), it was profitable and the owners enjoyed running it, but the City Council decided it would be better to condemn the property through eminent domain and then sell it to a shopping mall developer for less than what they paid the owner for the property.:rage: :rage:

Lincsong said:
What a moron I am.:D I didn't read the article and I immediately thought of food. Yeah, Drive In movies were cool. Until 1998 there was a Drive-In theather in Union City, CA(SF Bay), it was profitable and the owners enjoyed running it, but the City Council decided it would be better to condemn the property through eminent domain and then sell it to a shopping mall developer for less than what they paid the owner for the property.:rage: :rage:

Oh is that what happened to the place? I was wondering because my wife and I went there a few times (before she was my wife) then it was gone. Speakers that you would roll up in the windows and everything. Vintage for sure.
It figures some government types would steal the property and kick off the owners who were there for decades. :mad: :rage: I hate eminent domain. :mad:

Regards,

J

Dalexs

Practically Family
We still have a drive-in in the town next to where I grew up.
We used to go almost every weekend when I was a kid.
The owners supplemented it with a cineplex for the winter months, but come summer, the drive-in is always packed.

Whenever I'm down visiting the folks, I always try to take the kids.
They love it. And it's nice now because they use FM radio for sound. Makes it a bit more enjoyable to listen to. You can actually hear the dialog.
But they still have the window speakers there and operational if you want.

And they still run the same animated commercials from 25 years ago for their snackbar service during intermission!

Dalexs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn