Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not at all important to you ... I found a new book store!

dashiell

One of the Regulars
My oh, my, I'm practically humming with excitement! I moved recently, and I went exploring this afternoon. I found a charming little book store just *bursting* with books on every topic. I had a few moments in which I was convinced I would be buried in a book avalanche if I breathed a bit too hard. I snagged 13 books for $7, and not just any books! From Carl Sagan to The Book of Going Forth by Day, I found things that were on my wishlist!

I'm bouncing off the walls! The TENNYSON I found is a collector's item in *outstanding* condition!

I apologize for the random post. I just had to share the exuberance of the new target of my weekly outing!

:eek:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Congrats on your great finds Dashiell! A good purveyor of used books is getting to be rare so finding a good one is indeed cause for celebration! May this store continue to bring forth treasures for you.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Dashiell
Not at all important to you ... I found a new book store!

Oh no, not random in the least. I was walking in old downtown Staunton, VA a few days ago and stumbled across this antique/junk shop in an alleyway. I wandered in and looked around. For Less than $15.00 I picked up 2 Daphne de Maurier 1st editions, a 1st edition of Anna and the King of Siam, a couple of 1940's potboilers with dustjackets intact, a 1st edition by Somner Wells, and a couple of other volumes. I promptly took them to the Post Office and shipped them home.
I don't know the location of your bookstore, but if you ever run across a 1st edition w/ dustjacket of The Milagro Beanfield War, please let me know.

P.S. Welcome to the Lounge.

pps.
You're holding out on us, sir...
Uh, DB, he's a she.
Carter

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Many thanks for sharing my good fortune!

imoldfashioned - I expect to find a treasure on a weekly basis! I'm so excited!

Carter - I keep a little card of Books I'm Looking for for People Who Aren't Me in my wallet ... yours was just added, so I'll keep an eye out. Thank you for the welcome!

Diamondback - Don't worry, I'm addressed as "sir" quite often. Long ago, I decided to accept it as an indicator that I command respect. This may or may not be true ... In any event, the shop has a little site (it has music, FYI, and it sounds like Twin Peaks, though I may be mistaken). I'll share my other favorite book stores later, just in case you ever come down to the LA area.

http://www.bargainbooks-online.com/

:)

Miss Neecerie - I did see a lovely leather-bound Iliad, but can't recall the translator (it was in English). I already have a couple of translations and didn't buy it, even though I've had my Lattimore since childhood and it's a bit worn ... were you interested in a copy?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
dashiell said:
Miss Neecerie - I did see a lovely leather-bound Iliad, but can't recall the translator (it was in English). I already have a couple of translations and didn't buy it, even though I've had my Lattimore since childhood and it's a bit worn ... were you interested in a copy?

No...I was actually asking if the shop you
'found' was called The Iliad....as there is a lovely shop out in north hollywood called that...which is very much like what you described.

Sorry I didn't explain better.

carter said:
pps. Uh, DB, he's a she.
dashiell said:
Diamondback - Don't worry, I'm addressed as "sir" quite often. Long ago, I decided to accept it as an indicator that I command respect.
Oops. My apologies, ma'am. (I don't just go nosing around others' profiles without a reason, otherwise I woulda caught that.):eusa_doh: :eek:

Funny thing, I just got back from your area a couple weeks ago. (OTOH, the relatives wouldn't have given me much chance to do much anyway...) Thanks for the intel.

Nashoba

One Too Many
ooh I've been to the Illiad! My dad has this ridiculous long list of bookstores he drags all of us to wherever we go. When I lived in SoCal and he'd come to visit to go to Comicon he'd drag me all over the southland to random hole in the wall bookstores. I went to see them when they were visiting chicago for my mom's cake instruction courses...where did he drag me when mom was in class? Bookstores. I got off the plane 2 weeks ago and the first thing he did was drive me up to San Francisco for a signing of someone I'd never heard of. And to 3 other bookstores. sigh. The curse of being the daughter of a book collector / dealer. It doesn't matter where we go, if I'm with my dad and he's driving, you can bet it involves at least one bookstore somewhere along the line.
Unfortunately like father like daughter. half my suitcases coming back to TN were stuffed with books. I hit the jackpot at the Palo Alto library sale. I found a ton of great sheet music from the 20's - 40's. And a few more sewing books. added to the collection for when I finally get the gumption to start auditioning again.

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
No...I was actually asking if the shop you
'found' was called The Iliad....as there is a lovely shop out in north hollywood called that...which is very much like what you described.

Sorry I didn't explain better.

Oh, merciful strawberries! I'm even more a dolt when excited, so I misunderstood. :eusa_doh:

Thanks for the tip! I just moved to the SanFerValley, so I'll check this one out during next week's outing.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I would say finding a good bookstore is very important!
Enjoy those purchases.

I agree with that! I'd really love to find another second-hand bookstore locally! (there are some good ones here tho, but I know them all).
Congratulations dashiell!

carter

I'll Lock Up
For those who travel, Half Price Books has locations all over the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Their inventory is enormous and changes daily. Sometimes they know what they have, especially if the location selling also bought the book. However, books sent from their central distribution center can be found seriously undervalued if the buyer has patience and gets lucky.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
dashiell said:
My oh, my, I'm practically humming with excitement! I moved recently, and I went exploring this afternoon. I found a charming little book store just *bursting* with books on every topic. I had a few moments in which I was convinced I would be buried in a book avalanche if I breathed a bit too hard. I snagged 13 books for $7, and not just any books! From Carl Sagan to The Book of Going Forth by Day, I found things that were on my wishlist!

I'm bouncing off the walls! The TENNYSON I found is a collector's item in *outstanding* condition!

I apologize for the random post. I just had to share the exuberance of the new target of my weekly outing!

:eek:

Aw supersweet!
Do they have any Andrew Loomis books? If so, they would be in the glass case :rolleyes:

LD

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Aw supersweet!
Do they have any Andrew Loomis books? If so, they would be in the glass case :rolleyes:

LD

I pride myself on my restraint in not approaching The Case. I had $10 to spend on my own amusement (read vices and unabashed frivolities ... I admit to spending the remainder on cakes and a milkshake), and so didn't stray from the commoners' shelves. Shall I add you to my little card of Books to be Sought for People Not Myself? I'll be happy to do so!

dashiell

One of the Regulars
carter said:
For those who travel, Half Price Books has locations all over the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Their inventory is enormous and changes daily. Sometimes they know what they have, especially if the location selling also bought the book. However, books sent from their central distribution center can be found seriously undervalued if the buyer has patience and gets lucky.

Many thanks for the tip! :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I am drooling with envy over the used book stores you folks are describing!!

There is one Book Trader bookstore in a mall in south Des Moines and I have found a few good mysteries in it, but most of it, I do believe 90 percent of it, is romance novels. I kid you not.

I miss all the used book stores in San Diego. Some were huge and you could find lots of stuff in them.

Believe it or not, when I want to get a hard-to-find book, I go on eBay now.

karol

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by dashiell
Many thanks for the tip!

BTW, I've been able to find a few 1st editions of Hemingway and Steinbeck at Half-Price Books on NW Highway in Dallas.
I also found a rare folio edition of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner with full-page Gustave Dore illustrations. I'm thinking of having this volume profesionally restored.
There are two or three other volumes that I am also considering having restoration done on. Most are in good condition except their leather covers need restoration.
I've bought some signed 1st editions by Brian Jacques and Daniel Silva as well.
There's almost as much fun in the search as in the reading.
As you know, the thrill of discovery is wonderful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80