Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not Like New... Like Vintage!

swinggal

One Too Many
I know, it's terrible. Can you imagine what these people would be like in a crisis or a majorly destructive world event? Say if an electro-magnetic pulse took out all the computers and modern technology in the world? I hope I'm long gone if that day ever comes. I love being able to sew and make stuff. I'm a designer so my job is creative anyway.

Mr Vim, look in the classifies here. Lot's of people sell vintage wares on the Fedora Lounge. Also if you can get yourself to a decent vintage fair once a year you can find a heap of stuff all at once.

Ruby lane http://www.rubylane.com/ is expensive but it sources vintage from all over in one place. Sometime you can find bargains there.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
To get...

…back to the thread focus, I have very little vintage. I’m 6’4”, and don’t really see much I can wear. Plus, I don’t really have much time to spend combing through stores looking.

About all I have are a few personal items such as a pocket watch.

On the up side, I don’t feel bad if I break or lose something, and I’m doing my small bit to preserve a wide variety of companies that produce traditionally styled products.

Puzzicato said:
I think that sort of reaction comes out whenever people hear that you've taken time and care with something. My husband gets it with his bonsai ("where'd you buy that?" "I grew it"), I get it when I bake a cake from scratch or with some of the cured meats and preserves I make. People just don't seem to take pains with things so much now.

You think you get a reaction from making a cake yourself? Try being me and doing it. lol lol lol lol

vintage68

Practically Family
I actually prefer modern products with a vintage "vibe" to them. All my suits are vested, I wear suspenders, favor fedoras, etc. Growing up poor as I did, I have an aversion to second hand shops, clothes and the like.

vintage68 said:
I actually prefer modern products with a vintage "vibe" to them. All my suits are vested, I wear suspenders, favor fedoras, etc. Growing up poor as I did, I have an aversion to second hand shops, clothes and the like.

That makes sense. I have acousin who feels the same way after growing up poor in the depression.
Nothing wrong with saving money though. ;)

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
There is...

…still something special in getting a new product from a small, select number of manufacturers. For example, my Allen Edmunds shoes came in a very ornate box and were wrapped in red flannel shoe bags. The leather smell when I opened the boxes was heavenly. My shaving brushes came in nice slip case boxes and were wrapped in paper. Nice.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
jamespowers said:
That makes sense. I have acousin who feels the same way after growing up poor in the depression.
Nothing wrong with saving money though. ;)

My sister is like that. We were quite poor growing up, and while I actually *liked* wearing hand-me-downs and such, she couldn't stand it -- I guess the fact that she didn't get them until I was done with them colored her opinion. Today, she won't have anything second hand in her house at all, with the result that she's constantly throwing money down the pipe replacing shoddy particle-board furniture and can't make a coat last more than one winter without the lining falling out. I try very hard not to snicker.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Don't get...

…me wrong. We’re not set on new things. I don’t know that I call them antiques, but our house has lots of furniture that wasn’t bought new. Our car was bought used, and my wife constantly shops in thrift stores for herself and my daughter, and sells all of our used clothes that are sellable.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm a bit like your sister when it comes to shoes. I grew up wearing cheap, junky shoes that didn't fit my wide feet, and preferred to go barefoot. Since high quality, wide shoes are hard to find, I end up spending a lot of money on shoes.

As for inexpensive, second-hand coats, I have two and wear them even though the linings are going to pot.

LizzieMaine said:
My sister is like that. We were quite poor growing up, and while I actually *liked* wearing hand-me-downs and such, she couldn't stand it -- I guess the fact that she didn't get them until I was done with them colored her opinion. Today, she won't have anything second hand in her house at all, with the result that she's constantly throwing money down the pipe replacing shoddy particle-board furniture and can't make a coat last more than one winter without the lining falling out. I try very hard not to snicker.

Particle board furniture?!:eusa_doh: Geez, that stuff is junk. It even makes the house smell bad.
My wife's father doesn't like our real wood antique furniture from my great grandmother because it is too dark---so I went out and had them recovered in black upholstery. ;) :p

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I learned my lesson with one or two pieces of cheap furniture.

I understand the objection to used clothes (even though I don't share it), and used upholstered furniture with bed bugs out and about again, but a used dresser or shelves? [huh]

Paisley said:
I learned my lesson with one or two pieces of cheap furniture.

I understand the objection to used clothes (even though I don't share it), and used upholstered furniture with bed bugs out and about again, but a used dresser or shelves? [huh]

Interestingly enough, I came across an old oak dresser a while back that was not exactly in the best of shape. It is now my cigar humidor. I can make do with what I get for free---no matter the condition. ;) :p

vintage68

Practically Family
For me the preference for new only applies to clothes.

I collect vintage straight razors for example and just love the feeling of history that comes with them. One of my razors was made prior to the American Civil War and I just love the fact that I can still use it today.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
It is difficult finding vintage items in your size, I'm relatively (actually quite) small, and although people were smaller back then (so I'm told) its still hard to find a good fitting suit / jacket/ pants or ones that are easily tailored. Oi!

Mr Vim said:
It is difficult finding vintage items in your size, I'm relatively (actually quite) small, and although people were smaller back then (so I'm told) its still hard to find a good fitting suit / jacket/ pants or ones that are easily tailored. Oi!

There are many people that wish they were that small. Finding suits would be ten times easier---even if they needed to be tailored. ;)
The quality of fabric you can find then is much better---and the fit, I doubt you can find something as well fitting as a vintage suit. They just don't cut them that way anymore---unless you have them made for you to specific instructions. [huh]

Puzzicato

One Too Many
swinggal said:
I know, it's terrible. Can you imagine what these people would be like in a crisis or a majorly destructive world event? Say if an electro-magnetic pulse took out all the computers and modern technology in the world?

I've started telling people that I am making cheese as part of my training for the zombie apocalypse.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I was actually surprised to read that there are some people who can't sew on a button! :eusa_doh: Cripes - I live alone and so do all the cooking, sewing (whether by machine or by hand), cleaning, etc.

I have respect for those who make their own clothing. I've thought of doing that myself, but don't think I'd be so good with putting the pattern together. I, like some others here, cannot buy 'off the shelf' for the most part because of my size. I'm 5' 5" and thin (my stature has actually gotten me compliments at WWII events with my impression...lol ).

I think that's the nice thing about making your own - you can make the clothes to fit you decently.

SkullCowboy

New in Town
My mom taught me to sew when I was... a lot younger. ;) Came in REAL handy when I went into the USAF. I can still hem pants or fix a seam and sew buttons. I wouldn't want to tackle trying to make a shirt or pants, at least until the aforementioned zombie apocalypse, as I am sure they wouldn't comment on my having totally messed the darts while trying to eat me. But if I had to I could make something wearable. I inherited my mom's old Singer electric when she passed.

One good thing about living in Houston is the absolute mass of second hand clothing shops. The vintage shops down in Montrose can be a bit pricey but there are so many donation type shops, like Blue Bird, that are cheaper but the money you spend goes to a good cause.

As to new over used, well, if it looks good on you and is what you were looking for who cares WHEN it was made? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats