Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nov 1, 1954 Sports Illustrated Cover Widebrim Hats in Color

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Oklahoma Football
5152782139_625a0d2672_o.png

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/7381/index.htm

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's a good shot. I notice a lot of Open Road type hats too. It being Oklahoma, this would have been very common, I think. Lot's of hats, although there are some hatless in the crowd as well.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
thanks for the pic rlk is great to see all the different bashes and or creases in that crowd. Hats as they were worn and for the purpose they were invented, the folks with out lids must have been miserable. Hey is the guy in the bottom of the frame right over the 7381 wearing a ball cap?

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
thanks for the pic rlk is great to see all the different bashes and or creases in that crowed. Hat as they were worn and for the purpose they were invented the folks with out lids must have been miserable. Hey is the guy in the bottom of the frame right over the 7381 wearing a ball cap?

Yes he is. He must be a time-traveler.

Jabos

A-List Customer
And just think, they probably ALL had a bad game the following week! The curse of the Sports Illustrated cover!
The curse didn't happen till '57. In '54 OU was a year into it's 47 game winning streak (still the longest in college football) The curse happened with the Nov. 18, 1957 cover that said "Why Oklahoma is unbeatable". Oklahoma lost the following weekend to Notre Dame, ending the streak. Thanks SI.

Thanks for the post! I'm gonna buy that cover.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I see two caps--come on...this is Oklahoma!!! I would have expected a couple more gimme caps.

Yes they had Ball Caps in '54 but NOT the "Gimme" caps we have today. I played Little League back in '58 thru '61 and our Ball Caps were wool and you wore them by SIZE, no adjusting strap as are found on Gimme Caps. The first gimme Ball cap I remember seeing was in the early '70s when I got my first with a bag of horse feed at the feed store :) Yeh I can imagine a few Ball Caps at the game , but NO Gimme Caps, not in '54 :)

DougC

Practically Family
Monbla256--fair enough. But, they still look like feedstore hate, not ball caps. After all, they are Carhart brown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy