Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

RJR

The brim has been cut down from 3.5" all around to 3.0" sides and 2-3/4" sides. Brass vents were subdued with gun blue and rubbed off then the ribbon hat band and bow added. The bow was time consuming figuring it out at first but I enjoyed learning how to do it. During the process of sewing it on the existing leather sweat band came apart but I have a used brown leather sweat band and hope to get it sewn in. I guess the hat band and bow will have to be removed first.
It's been a fun process and look forward to getting the brim stitched Monday.

(P.S. The bow tails will be trimmed more cleanly, my scissors aren't sharp enough)
Its coming along nicely,congrats.

Dick Dressler

New in Town
The final product didn't turn out too badly. I enjoyed the experience but there's a few things I'd do differently if I make another. I'd like a bit higher crown and lighter color but overall I'm pretty satisfied.
I had the the brim stitched Monday - (first row could have been further from the edge.) I decided to hand sew the brown leather sweat band, then not thinking, damaged it while steaming to reshape the crown..... The "1" for the Cavalry Regiment insignia was soldered on to the sabers just to see how it would look but probably won't wear the insignia most of the time. Might add a troop or company letter later.

Brass vents and insignia were tarnished with gun blue. I would have preferred "Brass Black" but couldn't find any locally.

Dick

Attachments

• IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:

Barry Pina

New in Town
Hata.jpg
Old campaign hat

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm not sure this is the right place to post...

I have this old campaign hat and would like some more information on it .

It has a 3 inch brim all around, a 5 inch crown, 4 vent holes, 5 rings of stitching on the brim, 7/8 inch hat band. the sweat band is missing. there is half of a label that says ...TH... RS...OF NORTH AMERICA REGISTERED

anyone know any information about it?

Attachments

• hatb.jpg
    hatb.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 298
  • hatc.jpg
    hatc.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 315

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
A campaign crease with character!.

I saw this old boy while on the 1000 yrd range at Bisley and I could not help admiring his hat, it had just as much character as he had. This was his shooting hat and the brim has been styled to allow him to shoot and protect his neck. He told me someone had presented him with the metal crossed rifles as a joke but it seemed to suit the hat. He was using Ironsights and in his late 70's and a real pleasure to talk to.

campaign hat bisley.JPG

RJR

A campaign crease with character!.

I saw this old boy while on the 1000 yrd range at Bisley and I could not help admiring his hat, it had just as much character as he had. This was his shooting hat and the brim has been styled to allow him to shoot and protect his neck. He told me someone had presented him with the metal crossed rifles as a joke but it seemed to suit the hat. He was using Ironsights and in his late 70's and a real pleasure to talk to.

View attachment 51188
That hat has character!

Tommy-VF51

A-List Customer
Getting closer to signing my life over to the Corps... anyone able to link me to any decent threads on straightening out brims?

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I knew if I waited, I would eventually find the perfect hat to convert and I finally did. All I need is the right ribbon (on it's way)and to add the sewing on the brim and I will have my long awaited 1889 campaign.
IMG_20161120_1623342_rewind.jpg

I'll post the final product when I'm done. I hope everyone else still has the campaign hat bug. Happy holidays to all!

RJR

I knew if I waited, I would eventually find the perfect hat to convert and I finally did. All I need is the right ribbon (on it's way)and to add the sewing on the brim and I will have my long awaited 1889 campaign.
View attachment 60719
I'll post the final product when I'm done. I hope everyone else still has the campaign hat bug. Happy holidays to all!
That should be perfect when trimmed out,congrats.

liten

One of the Regulars
View attachment 60719
that looks really good, well done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko