Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Nude" Stockings for Pale Gals?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My legs, which barely see the light of day, are frightfully white. And though I expect most stockings to be a shade or two darker, I'm having a lot of trouble finding a non-vintage pair that are sheer enough to look like my legs haven't been transplanted onto me from a completely different body.

I've tried Magnolia Hosiery's beige and they were alright, though they were way too long for my body and therefore have caused lots of technical difficulties for me when I wear them. Today I just received a pair of the new What Katie Did stretch stockings (they are so inexpensive, it's great) and though I can probably make them work, they are practically 5 shades darker than my skin tone!

The only times I have found "nude" stockings that work well with my pale skin are vintage ones, but I don't really like to wear vintage ones now that I've ruined about 3 pairs in an instant.

Any brands that make really light/sheer seamed stockings that are relatively inexpensive?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My skin is ghostly-white as well, and I wear the beige tone that Magnolia sells. What you need is a pair of non-opera length stockings in the same shade' you can buy regular length stockings in this color at Vicki's Nylons.

For seamless stockings, I highly recommend the ones Victoria's Secret sells; they come in a color called 'Fair' that is wonderfully pale (the lightest I've ever seen), and perfect for skin tones like ours. They wear very well too, and aren't too expensive.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Only online, unless there happens to be an outlet store near you. (The list is online.) Even then I doubt they would carry a full line of stockings to choose from. I couldn't find anything but thigh-highs in Target, can't remember the brand. At KMart they had Vassarette, but no pale colors and they cost more per pair. Even good department stores don't carry them. :mad: All of these are seamless anyway. I manage to fill up a cart when I shop at Hanes online, though, by browsing in the Clearance section. They had some cute thigh-high tights with backseams. This way I get a better deal on the postage. Or sign up for email specials; last week they had a link to 15% off everything. If you are leery of not liking anything, their customer service is excellent, as is their return policy.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
They don't seem to sell the Fair color online. However, last time I was in the store I found several pairs with no trouble. I'll check again next time I am at the mall; if they've discontinued the color I am going to stock up!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
I can't find ANY seamed stockings that are not black, or black fishnet. Also, all I could find on the VS site is the ubiquitous Nude, for more $ than I like to spend. Any links?

I'm not sure whether you can get these in the US but here in the UK 'Pretty Polly' do nude seamed stockings/tights/hold ups (they also come in barely black and sheer black). Most department stores stock them and they are in their vintage line of hosiery. However I am pale too and their nude shade makes my legs look orange!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I'm very pale too, and always wear Jonathon Aston seamed stockings. The seam isn't too dark, so they're fairly subtle, and they're just a regular skin colour...no tan at all. He makes seamed tights (or pantyhose [huh]) too, but I find they tend to bag around the knees a little after awhile.

The only problem is I don't know where you might find them. I get them in my local department store, but it's an Irish company. I think he does a range at TopShop...

misslizzy

New in Town
SarahB said:
I'm not sure whether you can get these in the US but here in the UK 'Pretty Polly' do nude seamed stockings/tights/hold ups

Don't forget the what katie did web site. I wore Katie's luxury fully fashioned for my wedding... beautiful. They looked a bit pink in the packet but perfect nude on and Katie herself recommended them!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Wow! Thanks so much for all those suggestions. I'm definitely gonna check some of those out (that is, if I'm not totally broke after the Santa Monica Vintage Expo this weekened).

Is there any way I can get the regular length Magnolia stockings directly from them instead of Vicki's? I need to double check, but it seems like Magnolia sells them for cheaper.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
JazzBaby said:
I'm very pale too, and always wear Jonathon Aston seamed stockings. The seam isn't too dark, so they're fairly subtle, and they're just a regular skin colour...no tan at all. He makes seamed tights (or pantyhose [huh]) too, but I find they tend to bag around the knees a little after awhile.

The only problem is I don't know where you might find them. I get them in my local department store, but it's an Irish company. I think he does a range at TopShop...

My Tights have a selection of seamed stockings including Jonathan Aston and some gorgeous Gio ones (for a pricey £17). I wouldn't recommend Pretty Polly tights (I know this thread is about stockings but just thought I'd mention it) because they rip as soon as you remove them from the packet, however their hold ups seem fine. There is also a cheap shop here in the UK called Primark and their seamed hold ups are only £2.50 a pair. No cuban heel but a great price!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
The French brand Cervin makes stockings in a very light nude called 'Gazelle'. They make real FFs as well as a repro seam and heel version called Esprit Couture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner