Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC - only one fedora sighting in midtown yesterday :-(

GregNYC

One Too Many
So all revved from a day lurking and writing on this forum, I went out at 5:30 to walk across town from Lexington Ave. to 8th Ave., from 45th to 41st street. That's the heart of midtown.

Only one fedora, and it was one of the limo coordinators for our building. With a matching cashmere overcoat. Great the way he had it hooked up! Next time I see him, I'm gonna tell him.

But then on the walk across town, zip!!! Lots of cold bald heads (yes, I can talk), a few fleece watch caps and ball caps, but no great fedoras!

Was it really President Kennedy or the Beatles that did away with that great style??

Feraud

Bartender
Not quite Kennedy.

GregNYC said:
Was it really President Kennedy or the Beatles that did away with that great style??
I do not think so. I am currently reading an interesting book called 'Hatless Jack'. The decline(and change of style) of men's headwear in society is a very interesting subject. This book focuses on a particular angle, the notion that Kennedy was instrumental in the downward spiral use of hats by men in the US. I am about half through the book and will say that there are many factors (Kennedy being a piece of a larger puzzle) for the decline in headwear. Tho' History and mis-information will continue to attribute the decline to Kennedy, any self respecting fedora wearer owes it to themself to read and become informed of the many factors (pre-Kennedy) that attributed to the decline and transformation of headgear in society.

True enough

But, sadly, the straight dope ain't enough to quell a long-established myth, especially one to which humans hold an emotional attachment. People like easy explanations, no matter how inaccurate, and are prone to repeating them. As Twain put it, "A lie travels halfway 'round the world before the truth gets its boots on," or something like that.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hatless society.

Hi to all,
wear hat isn't only a style matter. It is, for me, also a health question.
How many thread about cancer effect fron the UV radiations...?
During the winter it keeps our mellons warm...and it is a good thing!
The "style" like every kind of fashion isnt' eternal.
To wear a baseball cap, or anything like it is more easy to do than to wear a fedora.
Baseball cap are less expensive than some fedora's...this is the matter.
Clearly to wear a fedora is another thing...it's better than baseball cap, for the style i say...
Wearing a fedora isn't,today,very compatible with jeans standard's or anything about modern style!
However, i wear my fedora with suits, jeans, and my straw or Panama with my suits or my short in summer.

Enjoy fedora!

Riccardo.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
There are looks you can achieve with a fedora, jeans etc etc. For everyday wear here in the UK a suit and fedora is fine if your workwear is a suit, though you have to take into account the town youre walking through. London no one bats an eyelid, neither do they in most of the southeast uk towns I visit. I dont even get a glance from people, Im 37 and look about 32-35. The winter months do make the hat look practical rather than a fashion accessory though. I have at the monent gone for a variety of clothes with a grey fedora (the city fedora from hatsonline.co.uk) such as jeans, green semi-military look coat and casual boots. It sounds not too complementary but the look is ok and gives a modern take on the fedora. Personally I like the 30-40's retro look but for the high street here it looks affected and a bit fancy dress. However mix the hat with something modern and youve got the setting for a trend. I think this is the way forward for the fedora, to match it in with modern fashion. To add to the above I have been out in two of my neighbouring towns (the one I work in and the one I live near) each time in the grey trilby or my brown fedora ala Indy style but mixed with jeans etc and I got not a single glance nor comment positive or negative, and counted two or three borsalinos, two trilby/fedoras and quite a few other versions of the knitted trilby. There were on the other hand a whole load of what I think are dire looking woollen hats and baseball caps.

Raindog

One of the Regulars
I've noticed a big increase in trilby/fedora wearing round here (Bournemouth) too. I agree totally about the 30's 40's look being considered 'fancy dressish', which is a shame as it's the smartest look around.
I find it encouraging to see people mixing the fedora with other clothes, as it makes me feel better about not being able to afford a good suit:)

Jeff.

vespasian said:
I have at the monent gone for a variety of clothes with a grey fedora (the city fedora from hatsonline.co.uk) such as jeans, green semi-military look coat and casual boots. It sounds not too complementary but the look is ok and gives a modern take on the fedora. Personally I like the 30-40's retro look but for the high street here it looks affected and a bit fancy dress. However mix the hat with something modern and youve got the setting for a trend. I think this is the way forward for the fedora, to match it in with modern fashion. To add to the above I have been out in two of my neighbouring towns (the one I work in and the one I live near) each time in the grey trilby or my brown fedora ala Indy style but mixed with jeans etc and I got not a single glance nor comment positive or negative, and counted two or three borsalinos, two trilby/fedoras and quite a few other versions of the knitted trilby. There were on the other hand a whole load of what I think are dire looking woollen hats and baseball caps.

My only problem with the fedora with casual clothes look is purely a personal one. I am very short (5 foot 4 if i stretch) and pretty slim (55 kilos). Unless i have substantial clothing under the fedora (thinks: three piece suit) i can't carry it off. It just looks so overwhelming - like i've borrowed my dads hat for the day. I've been lucky enough to pick up a bunch of vintage clothes for peanuts (say, no more than 50 quid, at most, for a three piece 40s suit. America is great for small vintage suits). This is the only reason i can get away with wearing a fedora.

bk

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I find my fedoras don't get a second sideways glance from anyone. I can pull them off with jeans and a red plaid flannell shirt for the woodsy look. The only comments I get are positive ones. Even with jeans and a white t-shirt it can be pulled off in the right conditions. But I usually wear mine with some sort of button down shirt. Of course I would love to see more folks wearing hats for fashon and solar safety, they just look so darn good in mass.
But hey, that's just me.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran