Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oconnell's overcoats

giovanni

Familiar Face
I was thinking of buying one these polo coats:

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/product.php?productid=18468&cat=377&page=1

Does anyone have any experience shopping at O'Connell's? I have read good things, but the product is expensive, and since I can't visit the shop any time soon I'm buying the product online. Is the colour variable, similar in person? Also, I saw the price fall to 700ish a little while ago and now it is back up to 1400, do they have sales at O'Connell's? I wouldn't mind spending around that much for a good coat but my main coat would have to be a navy not a camel hair.
And they don't seem to have any nice navy coats, lambswool for 1k is a bit much since it wouldn't be as durable as I'd like.

If anyone has good intel on these folks and the product, I would be much obliged.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
That is a beautiful coat, but do wait for a sale. I've read glowing things about O'Connell's on the Ask Andy About Clothes forum and I actually visited O'Connell's a few months back. The store is loaded with product (literally boxes filled with product all over) and the sales people are great. I understand they are very patient and helpful over the phone as well. Give them a call.

giovanni

Familiar Face
Thanks friend, I've read the same thing but certainly have wondered whether it could be true.

Good advice, I'll call..Do you know if they ever have sales?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Although I haven't seen those polo coats in person, based on my many visits to that store I think it's safe to say that coat will be the best quality money can buy off the rack.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think it's safe to say that coat will be the best quality money can buy off the rack.
That coat would not be in the same league (in quality of fabric and construction) as those from Oxxford, Kiton, Brioni, Borrelli,...to name a few.....albeit at a significantly higher price point.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
That coat would not be in the same league (in quality of fabric and construction) as those from Oxxford, Kiton, Brioni, Borrelli,...to name a few.....albeit at a significantly higher price point.
Okay, I should have qualified my statement. But here's a question for you: do those brands you mentioned offer a camelhair polo coat, with classic styling and proportions, RTW, year after year?

Last edited:

Heiko

Familiar Face
I think the question itself needs investigation. While the standard idea that Brioni or Kiton will create a high quality coat is not to be doubted, what do these high end brands offer in terms of quality?

Better stitching, better wool or camelhair, better styling?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
do those brands you mentioned offer a camelhair polo coat, with classic styling and proportions, RTW, year after year?
Oxxford does but I couldn't say for sure that the others do. Of course you could order them MTM at their trunk shows where you'll be charged their RTW price. You could do the same with Samuelson or Hickey-Freeman where the O'Connell coat is probably made.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
One thing I will say about luxury fabrics (camelhair, cashmere, vicuna, etc) is that they tend to be on the delicate side. The cuffs and collars in particular can become thread worn well before the rest of the coat. In my experience, wearing gloves and scarves go a long way to mitigate this problem. In reality, coats made with these luxury fabrics are not meant to be workhorse garments. I had a tailor who referred to these cloths as Ferraris; not made for everyday use.

Heiko

Familiar Face
So then your first comments were misleading. Oconnell's is not substandard quality wise, it is only lesser luxury wise--with Brioni having undoubtedly more handiwork.

So you did a disservice to the gentleman you corrected--the "best" you mentioned are best in terms of luxury marketing.

BTW, I don't believe Samuelsohn makes overcoats anymore and camelhair is quite durable--more so than cashmere. And the Oconnell's camelhair will last you a very long time even if you use it as a workhorse.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
must_not_feed_the_troll.jpg

Heiko

Familiar Face
Apologize if my evaluation came off as animus.

You wrote:

"That coat would not be in the same league (in quality of fabric and construction) as those from Oxxford, Kiton, Brioni, Borrelli,...to name a few.....albeit at a significantly higher price point."

Not in the same league when it comes to perceived luxury is more accurate perhaps? Anyways, you did qualify your statement after some prodding. I am not interested in luxury so I always specify if the distinction is quality per se or just exclusivity.

You did mention that the Kitons and Brionis would have much better stitching and wool than all other brands below their price point. You must be very knowledgeable about their construction and use of materials, and I would value your elaboration into the stitching and the kind of wool used by Kiton and Brioni.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
you did qualify your statement after some prodding. .
Excuse me but I did not qualify my statement;I simply repeated it when answering your queries . You seem to be both ignoring what I'm writing and reading things that I'm not writing (such as the O'Connell coat being substandard, which I never wrote or believe.)

what do these high end brands offer in terms of quality? Better stitching, better wool or camelhair, better styling?
==============================================================

I would value your elaboration into the stitching and the kind of wool used by Kiton and Brioni.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge
So then your first comments were misleading. Oconnell's is not substandard quality wise

So you did a disservice to the gentleman you corrected.

Sorry, but it would pain me to share my knowledge with you and then have it end up misleading and doing a disservice to you.........

Last edited:

Heiko

Familiar Face
Excuse me but I did not qualify my statement;I simply repeated it when answering your queries . You seem to be both ignoring what I'm writing and reading things that I'm not writing (such as the O'Connell coat being substandard, which I never wrote or believe.)

Let's stop pretending here--I was just trying to be nice after you made a few comments that exposed a lack of consideration and knowledge. Right away, you made an awfully silly comparison--you compared of Oconnell's coat (which would be an everyday coat) with the likes of Kiton or Brioni. In this remark, you said that Oconnell's is lower quality (substandard) to the high end coats of Brioni or Kiton.

I have a few Brioni overcoats, and the there is not a major difference in stitching--perhaps the wool is more luxurious but it certainly isn't more durable. It is not a better quality coat than my Crombie coat but it has the markers of luxury. Then you also mentioned in your "better" list Oxxford--which I would say can be in the same league as O'Connell's quality wise.

The issue with you is that you confuse luxury with quality (or more expensive with quality)--and I doubt you know the top end brands like you claim (the kind of statements you made would require a real intensive knowledge of nuances). My Brioni and Loro Piana coats are nice but they don't shame my other coats lesser priced coats.

Anyways, I am not evaluating you, I am evaluating your comments--Don't take things so personally.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I bow to your superior knowledge and experience.........

It is not too hard to get a new overcoat for under $300, really. There are lots of well made Chinese made wool coats in department stores

Heiko

Familiar Face
I suppose you think this is damning evidence against my comments? There are no reasons why the Chinese can't make a decent coat at low cost; in fact, they do this all the time. In any event, the coats I was referring in the out of context quote are department store level wool coats--not very warm and none camel hair. Not in the league of the brands we're are talking about.

I reaffirm my suspicion that you have no practical experience with the high end coats you refer to, which makes your comments not very honest. Everyone knows Brioni is more expensive than Oconnell's but the only difference I can see is that one has a lot of hand work and the fabric is light and delicate. Lastly, for anyone interested camel hair is a luxury fabric but it can be quite durable and long lasting (although I've been warned that moths are a greater risk).

I have nothing against you, and did hold the hope that you had knowledge you claimed to hv...but I think you've only shown a quickness to anger, which I do not care for. I do not see the point in further correspondence with someone has this temperament.

Best.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24