Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Flat Caps, Newsboys, and... Fat Heads

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Good evening chaps. It has been a long time since I have visited the Lounge and was pleased to see several threads concerning caps on the front page of the hats forum. I know caps are plenty popular here but I noted a couple of custom makers I had not seen the last time I was here. Simonds and Cordova caps. Very nice indeed.

Now to it. I have two caps made by Brett at B!Wear and have nothing bug praise for the quality and customer service. I suppose I have had them for four or five years. I found I just didn't look right in them. Again, let me say this has nothing to do with the caps as much as it is my fat head. You guys with the 7-1/2 sized or larger noggins know what I mean. Couple this with a square jaw AND a long oval shaped head and you can have a hard time fitting a cap. No matter how I tried to get the B!Wear to lay down/forward a bit I could never get it to look like anything but Dave the Lenox repairman. I understand this is kind of how they are supposed to look but I have seen some photos of members wearing them with a nice forward drape. So with that in mind, if I contact one of these cap makers should I ask about the long oval thing or should caps just be stretched(I really don't like that term for this but I think you get the drift) to the shape of your head? I think this caused some of the issues with the B!Wear riding higher in the crown.

Would you prefer a flat cap or 8 panel for getting a proper forward drape? Flat caps come made this way but I wondered about the Simonds and Cordovas because I really like the traditional look but don't know if they lend themselves to any adjustments for oval noggins. Did I mention I am jealous of you guys with normal sized, round heads? I was looking at This Post and have to say it is one nice cap. Very much what I have in mind but not limited to it. Thanks lads and sorry for the long post.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
If you don't like the mushroom effect look.
I would recommend Johnny 8 dart cap. The 8 dart cap sits flatter on your noggin. The 8 panel newsboy can sit flat but you need a light weight fabric to get it to not mushroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Its probably the cap & not your head shape...

those caps have a bulbous mushroom shape to the crown.....and a tiny brim....
but its just the cut that looks & shapes like a mushroom cap.

I have read good things in the early post years ago about those caps ,,, & gave them a shot
Nice guy, excellent service, great fabric, & workmanship.
But,nothing about those caps resembled any vintage caps i had. too roundish & could not pull em forward
no angals on those caps, sorta like a deflated basketball with a tiny bill

so the problem is most likely not your head shape, its the cap shape..

Last edited:

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Thank you Ed and seabass. Glad to hear it may be more about the cut or drape of the cap than my head! It's odd how it goes with cap vs hat. Larger heads seem to look better with wider brimmed hats. Stingy brims look too small for my face. Conversely, soft caps look better on me with little flare to the sides and more front drape/length. "Big Apple" caps in my size look HUGE and preposterous. In any case the vintage style caps are much less bulbous looking and lay much nicer than the modern styles.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I was looking at This Post and have to say it is one nice cap. Very much what I have in mind but not limited to it. Thanks lads and sorry for the long post.

Phog, your reference to my Simonds cap is appreciated and want to let you know I have an odd noggin myself so your not alone. I have both a Simonds 8 panel as well as a Cordova flat 8 dart cap and both fit and sit with the proper flair. The Simonds 8 panel is made of fairly light wool so can't say for certain how a heavier fabric would sit. I can say you'll be happy with the work of either maker and both will go out of there way to make sure your satisfied.

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
Fear not I have an odd shaped noggin, it goes well with the rest of me. Let me recommend Johnny's 8 dart. I have many caps but nothing I have has more flair and style than a Cordova handmade.

Pesonally I can't quite pull off a newsboy on my scone but man the 8 dart is a piece of work.

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Phog, your reference to my Simonds cap is appreciated and want to let you know I have an odd noggin myself so your not alone. I have both a Simonds 8 panel as well as a Cordova flat 8 dart cap and both fit and sit with the proper flair. The Simonds 8 panel is made of fairly light wool so can't say for certain how a heavier fabric would sit. I can say you'll be happy with the work of either maker and both will go out of there way to make sure your satisfied.

Thank you Mike. Indeed, your cap really jumped off the page at me so to speak. These vintage style caps are much classier looking than modern versions. Even though you can pull off pairing a modern style with a suit the vintage style does it so much better. And I don't even have a vintage suit but the older look would better match even a modern suit. I think I would tend toward the Cordova 8 dart for suits and the 8 panel for leisure but either would work. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner