Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

office sealed since the `30s

Story

I'll Lock Up
Old machine-gun nests found, ready for WWII assault that never came

By CARL NOLTE
San Francisco Chronicle
19-MAY-06

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Japanese air raid on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, produced devastation in Hawaii _ and panic on the West Coast.

Anything seemed possible. The attack had come out of the Sunday-morning sky without warning. What if Pearl Harbor was only the first target? What if the Japanese navy was off California ready to strike?

What if the Japanese battleships got past the big guns that were the key coastal defenses around San Francisco and the Golden Gate? What then?

The U.S. Army had an answer. On the night of Dec. 7, the Army assigned every available soldier at the Presidio of San Francisco to get to work digging slit trenches and field fortifications to stop a Japanese invasion.

Trenches were dug on the bluffs above the Golden Gate. Machine guns were sited to cover Baker Beach on the western edge of the city. If the Japanese came, we were ready.

Nearly 65 years went by, and the world changed. The Army is gone from the Golden Gate. The Presidio is part of a national park now. The other day, National Park Service crews clearing weeds and making surveys for a hiking trail above Baker Beach found some of the old wartime trenches and machine-gun nests, still there, still ready for the invasion that never came.

More at

http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=OLDTRENCHES-05-19-06

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I looove looking at old derelict hospitals and schools, so fascinating, but they remind me of Silent Hill games, so they creep me out a lot too!

I would kill to go and do a tour of the old abandoned stations on the London Underground...most were closed in the late 1930s or before, and a lot were used as air raid shelters during the war. But I think most of the interesting stuff would be long gone, posters and things. None of them are like time capsules any more unfortunately.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Historic Highway Restoration

115631215686528600.jpg

http://www.localnewsdaily.com/news/story.php?story_id=115631203563748500
Last week daylight beamed through the Oneonta Tunnel for the first time since 1948.
The tunnel, just east of Multnomah Falls, was built in 1913 as part of the Columbia River Highway. Plugged with rubble in 1948 when it became too narrow for modern-day traffic, the tunnel and the bridge leading up to it – called “the bridge to nowhere” – are being reclaimed as part of the restoration of the Historic Columbia River Highway

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
This doesn't necessarily have to do with finding lost architecture and interior design, but I had once read an article about varous folks stumbling upon tommy guns in the walls of their apartments, one's that were hidden probably since the 20's and 30's. Here's an article, not the same one, but to quote the first person on the list, "He should have kept his mouth shut and kept the damn gun." :p

The one I had read, however was about finding one in an old apartment, so if you're living in Chicago or Indiana, even Utah, break down them walls!

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38537

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Pilgrim said:
For those of you who visit Seattle, there is a well-known tour of Seattle Underground that tours below the current streets, showing you the old streets and storefronts that have been covered up by modern development.

http://www.undergroundtour.com/

There an old Kolchak:Nightstalker episode (The Night Strangler) that was filmed there.

I took the tour, I've heard rumor that there is even more areas.

Then of course PDX (Portland Oregon) has it's Shanghai Tunnels...

http://cgsmthood.com/shanghai/

http://members.tripod.com/cgs-mthood/shanghai_tunnels_FAQ.htm

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
this may be a bit off- but at my high school, they "found" a hallway that had been in disuse since the '70's. They had closed it off when they remodeled, and put a locked door in front of it. right before school let out for the summer, the lock on the door busted, and it was THE thing to see. for about a day. then they put a giant padlock on the door and swiveled the security camera in that hall to point at the door. Inside the hallway was a pile of old construction debris and very old broken desks.

Clara Rose

New in Town
Detroit

http://www.forgottendetroit.com

At one point I had been invited to go explore some of the old buildings in Detroit. However, the group was going informally and without permission and I decided getting arrested my first semester of graduate school was probably not wise. ;)

If you ever visit Detroit, take time to drive around the city. The cityscape is amazing...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pilgrim said:
For those of you who visit Seattle, there is a well-known tour of Seattle Underground that tours below the current streets, showing you the old streets and storefronts that have been covered up by modern development.
QUOTE]

Actually, it wasn't that "modern" - the streets were raised and downtown regraded starting in the early 1900's to make downtown more level. Seeing pictures of the work done, and before & after shots, it's pretty amazing for the time. In other parts of town, existing buildings were propped up on stilts while new first floors were built underneath where the hills were cutaway.

panamag8or

Practically Family
My Grandfather owned an office supply store that was located in an old downtown Sears building. The first floor was the showroom, and there was a loft area between the 1st and second floors where the offices, bathrooms and breakroom were. The second floor was the time capsule. There were deco signs hanging from the ceiling for the credit department and the catalog department, and a great old counter. In what was Sears' storage area, there were old displays for metal awnings and other fun stuff. If I knew now....well, you know how that goes.

He owned that building from the time Sears moved to the mall in 1966 until 1996, when he sold it to another office furniture place. There was a big article in the paper about how he would never sell to anyone that would turn it into a bar.
UF00047032.jpg

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
this may be a bit off- but at my high school, they "found" a hallway that had been in disuse since the '70's. They had closed it off when they remodeled, and put a locked door in front of it. right before school let out for the summer, the lock on the door busted, and it was THE thing to see. for about a day. then they put a giant padlock on the door and swiveled the security camera in that hall to point at the door. Inside the hallway was a pile of old construction debris and very old broken desks.

Wow...the 70's, you didn't see my trig homework in there did you?;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24