Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Here are some glasses I won lastweek on Ebay... (please excuse the very frizzy undone hair and yucky lighting!!)
mengrowcoldasgirlsgrowoso9.png

91783151_tp.jpg

91783191_tp.jpg

I'm not sure if I should use these as my prescription or keep the ones I already have (shown in my avvie), but I'm going to be using these for a secretary role I have in a scene at school! :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I love those glasses TigerLily! If you can get it done cheaply I'd put prescription lenses in those--they're so pretty and it's fun to have a couple different pair of specs to choose from.

I found a couple pair of pince nez for quite a good price. I'll let you know when I receive them in a week or so if they're going to work for me or not.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Girls who wear Glasses

hi ladies,

i have a specific glasses question to ask, but thought we could use a thread for general vintage glasses discussion.

my question is particularly for the london ladies: is there a shop in london that specializes in putting new lenses into vintage frames? and do you know of any good sources of vintage frames? i'm asking for a friend and i know she'll be grateful if you know! TIA.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Miss Brill, those silver ones are gorgeous! I adore the decorated ones. What a good find!:)

I recently got fitted for glasses for my crochet/knit/reading hobbies. It seems they are making my eyes tired!

I had a heck of a time finding glasses I liked, and so I let my husband pick them out for me. He was awful excited about it.lol I think he did a good job.

I like them, they aren't really retro and they are not vintage, but I find that they change the way my face looks, especially depending on whether I wear my hair up or down. If my hair is up, they look real nice, when my hair is down, they look like they sag my face down!:( Not that it really matters since I use them only on certain occasions. :rolleyes: But still.. you want to look pretty, right? So I have been looking at vintage frames, and I'm kicking myself for not buying the ones I found at the expo, but I found these really pretty ones on ebay a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, they were described as womens, but I swear they are for a child's head. Unless this one had a very tiny skull, I don't see how they would fit. They fit my daughter just a teeny bit big, and she is 5.

Wait until you see the pics.. it's rather hilarious. So for now, I wear my regular glasses my hubby picked out, (i like them!) but I'm on the hunt for some nice frames, similar to the ones I got on ebay, but that are for an adult head. It'd be nice to keep one set with my crafty things, and the other with my bookpile.

My new glasses the hubs picked for me:

DSC01236.jpg

My vintage ones that are too small lol :

DSC01241.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Helen Troy said:
Your glasses are fab, Red, and they suit you well! You look like an intellectual secretary. (And that's a very good thing in my book.)

Hee hee! Thanks! I'll take that compliment! :D

dani

Familiar Face
i really love the cat eyeglasses, and want to get some, does anyone know any good sites that have them for a reasonable price?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I got my first pair of pince nez in the mail today--I think I've found a new collectible! I think these are from the 1920s or 30s and I may put tinted lenses in them since they're a nice size for sunglasses. I'm expecting an exquisite silver pair later this week.

Sorry for the lousy lighting in these pictures--if I used flash I got an awful glare.

pincenez.jpg

pincenez1b.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Those look great IMO!!! Do they really not fall off? I can never figure that out! I can't wait to see the silver ones!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks girls!

Red, they really do stay on very well. The spring is perfectly calibrated--the glasses fit firmly but don't pinch. I wore them for pretty much a full day (laughed wrinkling my nose, read looking down, etc.) and they were fine. I hope I have good luck with the silver ones as well.

My hair would look better if I'd combed it before taking the picture but thanks for the compliment LD.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
That's amazing! I would like to try those out sometime.. just to see how it feels, ya know? They really do look great on you! Please post when you get your silver ones!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Picture970.jpg
I wanted my perscription put in these but my mom said they werent flattering. I purchased a modern pair instead but I am really unhappy as I have been wearing vintage frams for at least 13 years.
Picture972.jpg

I've had these sunglasses for more then 10 years. I know they came from an Optometrist’s shop because the doctor and owner's names and the year 1962are etched in them. I am thinking I should make sure they are not perscription.

lillielil

Familiar Face
I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been looking for good vintage frames for a long time. I have a hard time of it because the measurements of my current glasses are 52/18 (over 5" across), which is much wider than most things I've found.

I've been wearing the same pair of vaguely vintage-inspired frames from Target for more years than I care to remember:

(please excuse the completely non-vintage look - I was at work at the time, and my job then was managing a gym so it was all t-shirts all the time)
atwork1.jpg

I'd keep them, but the finish has worn off completely and they're looking pretty rough. Of course, Target no longer carries that line. It looks like just about everything in stores now is square, which is just completely unflattering on me.

I have terrible 20/400 vision and can't wear contacts because my eyes don't really produce tears. For the same reason, I'm not a candidate for laser surgery. Since I have to wear them all the time, I'd love to start a collection of vintage eyeglasses, but I'm having a devil of a time getting started. When I find something good I'll be sure to post pictures here.

olive bleu

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
hi ladies,

i have a specific glasses question to ask, but thought we could use a thread for general vintage glasses discussion.

my question is particularly for the london ladies: is there a shop in london that specializes in putting new lenses into vintage frames? and do you know of any good sources of vintage frames? i'm asking for a friend and i know she'll be grateful if you know! TIA.

...WHICH RAISES A QUESTION...should ANY place be able to fit perscription lenses in vintage frames or would it take someone who specializes in this?I currently have a pair of modern ralph Lauren wire frames that are pretty classic, so i have stuck with them, but i would also love to have a pair that's a bit more fun.If i take a pair of vintage frames into my usual place are they going to think I'm crazy??

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
olive bleu said:
...WHICH RAISES A QUESTION...should ANY place be able to fit perscription lenses in vintage frames or would it take someone who specializes in this?I currently have a pair of modern ralph Lauren wire frames that are pretty classic, so i have stuck with them, but i would also love to have a pair that's a bit more fun.If i take a pair of vintage frames into my usual place are they going to think I'm crazy??

You need to go in with your vintage frames and the tech would let you know if she/he feels comfortable doing it. I have my presciption put in a pair and they said the hardest part is taking OUT the original lens. It's our own risk if they break. I haven't had any problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace