Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old-fashioned hiking boots

pipvh

Practically Family
Does anyone know if you can still find classic old-fashioned hiking boots with (preferably) one-piece tops and Norwegian-welted soles? I know there are a couple of custom makers out there (one in Canada - unbearably expensive but apparently incredible), but I really just want a pair to hike the moors in. I can't stand modern injection-molded soles. There's no point in buying something that can't be mended, after all!

The closest I have at the moment are some commando-soled Trickers Grasmeres - lovely, but not very (honestly, at all) waterproof. I'm kicking myself now because you could buy real stitched Austrian boots anywhere a few years ago and now when you go into a hiking shop and ask for them, you get nothing but the blankest look by way of reply... An admittedly minor tragedy, but I don't see why I should wear built-in obsolescence on my feet.

pipvh

Practically Family
Van Gorkom was the guy I had in mind. Really fantastic but totally overkill for my needs - and I could buy almost half a Land Rover for that money. But meanwhile many thanks for this info: the Bertls look very promising and I'm going to check them out. Do you know how much a pair of Taylors are likely to run me? They don't look cheap...

JEEP

Practically Family
Try looking at the Meindl Perfekt. We have it at the hunting-/outdoor store where I work - I have seen and handeled many boots, but the Perfekt is just what it's name suggests; perfect.

Both my girlfriend and I wear Meindl almost exclusively.

Regards.

Jakob

pipvh

Practically Family
Those Orvis boots would have been perfect - but of course they don't have my size. I'm off to scour the online labyrinth of European sports shops...

kaiser

A-List Customer
I like the Meindl Boots as well. My Wife and I have been wearing Meindl Boots for about 8 years now with very good results. Her Boots have been re-soled as well. Even though they are molded you can get new soles put on them at a good Cobbler shop.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I've contacted Merrell in the UK about availability here but had no response. So I'm guessing these new/old boots are for the US market only, at the moment.

pipvh

Practically Family
It's a toss-up between the Ortlers and those Merrells - which are Italian (Asolo?). The Merrells are more trad-looking but the Ortlers are cheaper and nearer. I'll give a full review if and when I make my choice. What might sway my decision is that the Ortlers have a Gore-Tex lining underneath the full-leather lining, while the Merrells are just plain old leather-lined. Gore-Tex tends to make boots unbearably hot after a while... or perhaps I'm just a Luddite?

norton

One of the Regulars
JEEP said:
Try looking at the Meindl Perfekt. We have it at the hunting-/outdoor store where I work - I have seen and handeled many boots, but the Perfekt is just what it's name suggests; perfect.

Both my girlfriend and I wear Meindl almost exclusively.

Regards.

Jakob

I bought a pair of Meindls at Cabelas almost two years ago and have been very happy with them. I used them for a week long hike on the Appalachian Trail. They're the first pair that never gave me blisters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy