Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old school

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Why do you suppose these went out of fashion?

18th1-Hat.jpg

Chapeau-de-Bras.jpg

Originally posted by K.D. Lightner
I know why they went out of style in the military -- guns got more accurate.

karol

You have a good military reason why they went out of usage but for everyday life, that is something else.
The second one looks like it would obstruct you vision if you wore it. LOL
The first one is quite big but I like it. The problem there is---where do you put it when you take it off? It looks like it needs a whole shelf just for one! :eek: It doesn't afford all that much sun protection either. Most of all, I think they would be very costly to produce. I bet they could easily cost over $1,000 each for cheap materials--I don't want to even think about how much one of these would cost made of real beaver and other high quality materials for trim. :eek:
In short, inconvenience and cost probably did them in both militarily and for everyday wear.

Regards to all,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You're right MK

Low roof lines in cars. Used to be great on open carriages, but they are gone. Elevators....can't wear too many big hats there either..

These hats clash with the modern business suit. Bring back the ruffles and pantaloons...

Oh, and hoop skirts....bad news on the subway.LOL

thefish

Familiar Face
WOAHHHH!!

Waitaminnut....

Tricorns went out of style?

No Way!

I think goths should wear more tricorns. They've already coopted frock coats, ascots, and dusters.

thefish

Familiar Face
I personally really like tricorns, and own one, (somewhere, anyway. It was used in a production of Pirates of Penzance that I was historical consultant and fight coordinator for, and it has since sorta vanished.)

They're really cool hats for costuming and period reenactment, but you can't pull off a tricorn in jeans, tee-shirt, workboots, and a grip vest like you can with a fedora ;-)

I think I'm in the same boat about goth stuff, Ren, as evidenced by what I wore to my wedding, (pic attached. I didn't wear a hat, because I really didn't want to do a top hat, and didn't yet have a source for a victorian-style wide-brimmed fedora-like hat like the one I want from Art!)

I guess I'm more like a goth on Prozak ;-)

-Dan

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice pic FISH

Wow that is a great suit for a wedding, and the Wife looks great too. How long ago? I have two top hats, and wish I was "into hats" when I married. I would have also worn totally different clothes. Really.

thefish

Familiar Face
Thanks Andykev!

It was two years ago on the 24th of this month.

I was "into hats" then, but certainly didn't have a hat that would go with that outfit, and considering the other costs involved in the wedding, (and that I bought everything, didn't rent.) the hat just wasn't going to happen.

-Dan

I think you did a fine job hat or not.
I tried to find a picture of my wedding duds, unsucessfully. Just as well, I probably look ridiculous in a rented tux, sans homberg or top hat, but my wife looked great in my mother's wedding dress. Not bad after over 40 years. I wonder if it will be used again in the future. :D

Regards to all,

J

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Because this fashion would have identified you with the aristocracy, who were soon beheaded.

Actually, no, that happened before that. Moving into the romantic era of the 1830's and 1840's, men's hairstyles changed and would have looked REALLY ugy with those hats.

And considering they were worn for over 40 years, it was time for a change. Thankfully it involved the predecessor to the top hat.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Actually, if you study costume history, men's fashions took a whole new turn in the early 1800's -- not only with hats, but trousers. Men started wearing long pants at that time and no longer wore hosery (long stockings?). Coat styles changed, too. Not to mention hair -- no powdered wigs. And men wore heels during part of the 18th century, but were wearing boots and shoes in the 19th.

Just think, men went from hose and heels and powdered wigs to top hats and fedoras, boots and long trousers. Wouldn't you?

karol

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I haven't worn the hosiery or a powdered wig, though i'm not against the style.

As long as the buckles on my shoes are shined and the buttons of my coat are fashioned in manner that is not too quizzical for societal standards, I'd wear such attire day in day out... though I draw the line at a feather in my hat.

Matt Deckard said:
I haven't worn the hosiery or a powdered wig, though i'm not against the style.

As long as the buckles on my shoes are shined and the buttons of my coat are fashioned in manner that is not too quizzical for societal standards, I'd wear such attire day in day out... though I draw the line at a feather in my hat.

I would pay good money to see pictures of that. :p Just be careful what city you do it in. ;)

Regards to all,

J

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Actually, if you study costume history, men's fashions took a whole new turn in the early 1800's -- not only with hats, but trousers. Men started wearing long pants at that time and no longer wore hosery (long stockings?). Coat styles changed, too. Not to mention hair -- no powdered wigs. And men wore heels during part of the 18th century, but were wearing boots and shoes in the 19th.

This change was associated with the French Revolution. The stockings, powdered wigs, etc., had been associated with the aristocracy.

Samuel Taylor Cooleridge, as a young man, wanted to emigrate to the United States and set up a "pantistocracy," a society ruled by those who wore pants. This sounds really weird until you realize that he meant was a society that adopted the ideals of the French Revolution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes