Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the way to....

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Friday night. It was cold and wet. The sun had just gone down and my better half and I were driving over to Bob's Big Boy. No....it wasn't for the mediocre food. We were looking for cars. Not just any cars. I am talking vintage cars. Classic automobiles from the golden era.

Normally the place is packed with classic cars and their proud owners that belong to a club called "The Road Kings". Usually you need a big gun and a lot of attitude to drive through the parking lot, but due to the rain we figured there wouldn't be anyone there.

We were surprised to see a handfull of diehards huddled under the carhop sheet-metal canopy of the oldest Big Boy left in America.

We circled round to see if there was anything that would be worth exposing ourselves to the elements...when I noticed a fine looking car. That was when I noticed the fellow standing next to this fine example of a golden era motor car was wearing a fedora and spectator shoes.

All right. I was sold. I needed to meet this guy. You see....usually the classic car crowd is dominated by guys who were in junior-high (middle school for you youngsters) or high school in the fifties and are reliving thier youth. These guys might like cars from the 30's-40's but they listen to Jan & Dean, The Beach Boys, Bill Haley & His Comets rather than Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey or Count Basie. Instead of fedoras, they have white t-shirts with cigarettes rolled up in one of the sleeves.

Here was a guy clearly into the golden era. He was talking to another guy about fine ride so I took a moment to look at this incredible vehicle. It looked brand new. It was a 1936 Chrysler Airflow. It looked amazing. It was beige, had a fladhead eight cylinder engine and suicide doors. It didn't get much better than this.

The guy's name was Chandler. He was wearing a hand painted silk tie underneath his v-neck sweater. His whole outfit looked vintage.

We talked about his car, hats and the Queen Mary event. It turned out that not only is he the So-Cal director of the Airflow club, but a swing dance instructor too. He said his club would be interested in attending our QM event.

He lives very close to me and he offered to give me a ride in his Airflow.

I plan to take him up on it this week.;)

Photographs will be taken, of course.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
This was around 4 years ago, but that makes it the better challenge to find those photos! :)

I have not been to Bob's Big Boy, let alone their car show. There is a place here in the San Fernando Valley called "Cruisers" which is a carwash/diner. Every Saturday they had a car show. I went to one. It's great and so is the diner inside. I do not know if they are still open or if they car show is still active. There is also a cruisin' night in Alhambra on Main St in front of another diner, "Diner On Main". I have seen them arrive but have not stayed. They serve good food and decent enough prices ($4 and up), but the atmosphere doesn't scream "1940's or 50's". It's more modern, but the trip is good nonetheless.

Where is Chandler now?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oh man, knowing MK is in London right now, I was reading this not looking at the dates and I saw him writing about going to Bob's Big Boy and I was thinking, "I didn't know London had Bob's Big Boys there." But I see it's an old thread. Hahaa! You got me there happyfilmguy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy