Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One of the most ridiculous things I've read...

jpdesign

Vendor
Probably want to keep it alive. The younger generation is moving into the cities where they cen make more money doing other things instead of taking up the hatmaking of there families.

No new artist, no new hats.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I don't know about training, but a certification system might do some good.

An analogy might be the French wine industry, with its appelation controllee, first growths, second growths, and so forth.

This would mean, for example, that a "Montecrilsti" would be certified as such and that "ultra fino" would mean this and would not mean that.

It wouldn't have to be a government that did this. A publication like Cigar Aficianado, for example, could have Panama Hat reviews, which it would issue annually. Vendors could advertise on the basis of the certifications they receive.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I think Bob's point is who certifies those doing the certification, especially when those being certified have forgotten more than most of those certifying will ever know!? (try saying THAT 3 times fast! ;) )

Reminds me of when I see one of those programs with 'certified paranomalists' who are licensed 'ghost hunters'. Who in the world issues THOSE certifications? Heck, if there's a buck to be made, offer licensing and certification! :rolleyes:

Regards! Michaelson

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I find it amazing and amusing that the non-profit Montecristi Foundation would be able to have a part in this all the while the UN knowing that the President of said foundation makes a living selling these hats with a for profit company. It exhibits good intentions, but I feel that it could also be soured by the very thought that someonw who profits from the same industry trying to have a hand in its regulation and training.

I understand fully the thoughts regarding keeping the actual Montecristi hats as the only hats marked as Montecristi. I certainly know the weavers and everyone involved can tell the difference between the fineness of the hats. I also understand fully that the more hats we sell the more these guys and gals will weave the better off they are and the better off the industry is. Keep the weavers weaving and you will always have the craft. Keep them weaving by selling the hats for decent profit, but nothing outrageous. Keep the weavers weaving by offering them more of that outrageous profit if you feel you must charge it.

Now, please, tell me again how I don't understand economics and business. My interest, truly, lies in keeping the art going...and keeping my wife's family in Ecuador eating. Those of you who have hats know the prices as compared to others. You know the quality as compared to others. You know that we still feel we make a fair profit on each hat.

Off the soap box.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
My impression

To me its like the Fox guarding the Hen house!
I believe in every business transaction it should be arms length!

You only have one chance for the first impression.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
For starters, an outfit like Esquire or Cigar Aficiando might be very receptive to a proposal for an annual Panama Hat review - perhaps on its website if not in the magazine itself.

Second, perhaps somebody like Art Fawcett would stand at sufficient arms length yet be qualified to make such a review. You would know better than I who would be satisfactory that way.

Third, if Esquire, etc., is not interested, a Panama Hat blog might be a good thing to start.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I would think even someone like Art Fawcett would be too close to the retail side of things.

You need someone who does not, nor will not benefit directly nor indirectly with the sales of these hats.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
You got me...

The more hats you sell the more people weaving. I don't think $450.00 hats sell as well as $50.00 hats...maybe I'm wrong...and, as always, I'd love to hear about the big differences in quality.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
In Otavalo there are generally 0 ZERO montecristi hats...just Cuenca hats boxed up and lied about.

This is where I see the trouble...kind of like some do with Beaver....

Hat cost $100.00.

Seller A sells completed hat for $200.00.

Seller B sells completed hat for $350.00

Seller C sells completed hat for $450.00

You'll sell a boatload more hats for $200.00 if everyone were standard on PRICING!

Michaelson

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
You'll sell a boatload more hats for $200.00 if everyone were standard on PRICING!

Just curious, Bob, but how? Wouldn't that actually eliminate a lot of potential sales if everyone was selling for the same price? I mean, if Joe here is selling them for $200, why should I buy from Jane across the street, as she has them for the same price?

When I worked at Lowes YEARS ago, they used to post a policy over the service desk 'If you find the same item anywhere else for less, we'll match the price!!' Folks got all warm and fuzzy about that one, and I actually had folks come BACK to the store to purchase from us at a matched price for the item they found elsewhere. Why? They drove twice the distance than they had to only to get the item for the same price they could have bought it back there for! They didn't save a dime!Seems the same idea with the across the board pricing.
Not saying you're wrong at all, as the OTHER way seems odd to me too, but isn't it a bit 'iffy' for sales the other way too? Like I said, I'm really curious.

Regards. Michaelson

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
It all comes back to the almighty dollar...you are correct.

If your goal is to keep the art going...then who cares about big profits?

If you really care about quality and keeping the weavers weaving... then why charge so darn much for your hats?

If the ultimate goal is to save the craft....then why not make it easier to keep them weaving?

We, literally, have bettered the lives of several people...better housing, better health care, better clothing...much more...and our profit margins PALE in comparison...these are people in my wife's family who work with us.

The people I know in Montecristi and Las Cruces de Pile de Montecristi and Pampa still tend to live in the crappiness they always have...while a few companies mark their hats up hundreds and thousands of percentages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24