Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

viclip

Practically Family
got mine in today in Mink

overall very nice felt, color good feel to the felt & creased EZ
conformed very well to my in between 7 1/8 & 7 1/4 LO (I ordered 7 1/8) sweatband is real nice

But
im going to be honest there are 2 stitches on the left side of the ribbon that were sloppy tack stitches lacked quality control.
maybe it was the end of shift bum rush or a rookie stitch.
I run my finger over them feels like plastic & firm the stitches

if I had the chance to buy in person id pass if it was like this

but I ordered it 10-11-13 & Jeff got us that sale special its here today
so if it weren't for the 2 stitches it would be well worth the wait & a good value & I would rate it excellent..

I might return it but might not be worth the hassle & cost....
hope I don't sound picky but maybe mine just slipped past quality control...

it sure does feel good sitting on my head though..
che

Hi seabass, I took delivery today of my Premiere Stratoliner, mine's in black.

It too had several ribbon tacks with loops of the clear "fishing line" jutting out. One in particular was fairly noticeable. My fix was to raise the sweat band adjacent to the tacks in order to locate the inboard sides of the tacks (readily visible), thence using fine-pointed tweezers I was able to gently tug in the offending loops by grabbing at the various strands until I found the relevant portion of the fishing line calling for a bit of tightening.

I would NOT recommend snipping & removing the offending loops. As far as I can tell the only thing holding the ribbon onto the crown on these Strats, is the various tacks i.e. the ribbon isn't sewn in all the way around the circumference.

Slight tack loop irritation aside, I too am very pleased with my latest acquisition. Incidentally the sweat indicates "Royal DeLuxe" quality.

Last edited:

hubbit

New in Town
I just saw the Stetsonian today on the DelMonico website. Having missed the Nostalgia boat, my gut instinct is to buy one now, but does anyone know if Hatco will be making these in other colors? I could really go for a caribou and a light gray if they'll have them in 7 3/4 (62).

(Also, now I must pay attention and stay tuned for news about these upcoming Knox hats!)

rclark

Call Me a Cab
My new Stetson Premiere Stratoliner that was delivered earlier today. The tulip tree behind me is blooming, so spring must almost be here!

Landman

One Too Many
Black and Mink Stratoliners

My black and mink Premiere Stetson Stratoliners with sterling silver reproduction hat pins. I bought these from Jeff at Delmonico and I couldn't ask for better customer service. Thanks Jeff!

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I was sitting there this afternoon, when there was a knock at the door. Upon answering it, I saw the familiar shape of a hat box on my front doorstep. I have a number of hats going in and out, so I wasn't sure what this one was--especially since I didn't get an email from Delmonico that my hat had shipped. Sure enough, though, this box contained my new Stetsonian.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

And there it was: a beautiful modern hat:

image.jpg
image.jpg

I gotta tell you: when I opened this box up, I was blown away by the hat inside. The weight, density, and hand-feel of the felt are right up to snuff. The quality seems really high to me; it compares quite well to the feel of my vintage Whippets. The felt is soft yet thick, and it takes a dry crease very well.

image.jpg
image.jpg

With a little steam, the felt responded just as well.

image.jpg

There are a few imperfections in the felt here and there, but overall, I'm impressed with the hat. If Hatco makes more hats of this quality--no matter the style--they'll have made a big step in returning the beauty and luxury of hats.

A

Aaron,

Are you still enjoying your Premiere Stetsonian? Just got one today and I am impressed. It compares very favorably to the Premiere Strat I got a couple of weeks ago IMO. This is my only wide-ribbon fedora, so I'm still trying to get used to the look on me.

I just find it intriguing the level of interest in the Lounge on the Premiere Strat but not nearly as much talk about the Premiere Stetsonian.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I love my Stetsonian, Rick. The felt is thicker than the Strat, but it's still really nice. Whereas I'll only wear most hats one or two days, I'll wear my Stetsonian for 3-5 days in a row because I enjoy it that much. My guess ( and this is pure anecdotal speculation) on the preference is that around here, vintage Strats are held in very high regard and show up with a degree of frequency, while vintage Stetsonians are fewer and farther between. Just a thought.

Maybe one slow day I'll write up a comparison between the two new premiere Stetsons I have.

A

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Premiere Stetsonian that I stumbled upon at the outlet in Garland a few days ago. I've studied this hat and cannot figure out why it was sent to the outlet. I just couldn't pass it up.

Just a simple dry crease for the time being.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
It's great to have an Stetson outlet & Store in the neighborhood. I guess I would visit him very often!

Well, I live about an hour and a half south of the Dallas area, but I was in Dallas for some meetings. I wanted to stop by the outlet knowing that it is soon to be the end of felt season and thought they might have some cool felts there. I was correct! I got great deals on all 3 hats I purchased but I think I may have exhausted my hat budget! I haven't been there in years, as I rarely have time or make time to go there.

fedoracentric

Banned
I think Texas is great. But I am an east of the Mississippi kind of guy. Still, if I had a job and they said I had to move to Texas, I would have little objection to it on that basis.

DougC

Practically Family
Fellas, there are tons of other reasons to love Texas! As the saying goes, don't ask a man if he's from Texas...if he is, he'll tell you and if he's not you'll look bad for embarrassing him. Please keep in mind I'm feeling quite Texascentric because this week marks both the birth of the Republic of Texas and the fall of the Alamo...coming at you from San Antonio!

rclark

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap
Fellas, there are tons of other reasons to love Texas! As the saying goes, don't ask a man if he's from Texas...if he is, he'll tell you and if he's not you'll look bad for embarrassing him. Please keep in mind I'm feeling quite Texascentric because this week marks both the birth of the Republic of Texas and the fall of the Alamo...coming at you from San Antonio!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925