Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

opinions from the guys. . .

Becky

New in Town
Hey Fellas, was needing your opinions on tailoring suits. I won't take any answer the wrong way, so here goes. Do you feel that ony men can make a proper suit for men since they have the first hand experience by just wearing the garments ? This gives them an edge, I believe. I would love to try a nice classic suit for the sake of knowledge, but am apprehensive about a decent and wearable piece. Any advice appreciated !

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
there is one very popular female tailor in New York whos name escapes me at the moment.

Measurements are measurements and taking a bust measurement to make a woman's suit never makes a measuring awkward for a male tailor Marc.

No difference... as long as the tailor knows what she is doing.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
You could be my tailor,...(tailorette??) any day. :)
Guys would have an edge of course in that they actually wear the same thing that they make for others.
But if you feel you could make a good men's suit, then that's all the reason you need to give it a try. Sounds like you are capable and confident, go for it.

Frederick Chook

New in Town
If a tailor had to have personal experience wearing what they made, they wouldn't be able to make country wear if they were from the city, or clothes for tall people if they were short! So no, I can't see the slightest reason why women can't completely rock the menswear house. Not that I'm discouraging any woman from wearing menswear, too, if she'd like to - that always looks fantastic.

rongoms

Familiar Face
Our team had a female bicycle frame builder one year, she experienced the same issue that a female tailor did, meausuring inseams.

Her solution:

She attached her cloth tape measure to a piece of wood dowel about 12 inches long and simply asked the gentleman to hold it in the appropriate place.

FWIW, I've had a female tailor for nearly 15 years. She's never done me wrong.

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
Fair warning: some men will feel uncomfortable with a woman doing the inseams and asking the dressing question.

+1 on this one. The tape attached to the dowel is a great idea.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
In the not-so-distant past, it was considered improper for a man to be touched by a woman who wasn't his wife. Therefore his tailor (as well as his barber and his doctor) would have almost invariably been a man. I've read accounts from as late as the '40s or '50s where the disreputable areas of Chicago were described as having, among other things, a number of female barbers.

Now, most men today don't think twice of going to a female hairstylist, and I guess a lot of men have female doctors. So you'd probably be all right.

Personally, though, I'd be uncomfortable with it. I guess I'm just old-fashioned in this regard, but I like going by that old tradition. I haven't been to a lady doctor since I was a kid, I use a male barber whenever possible. I've only used male tailors so far, and I don't anticipate changing that.

Just my two cents.

Becky

New in Town
I consider myself very professional and have no problem with measuring in whatever areas. I've had to make reenactment clothing before and needed to do proper measurements. Sounds like there are quite a few women who take on those kinds of projects. Thanks again for the input. :)

manton

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
there is one very popular female tailor in New York whos name escapes me at the moment.
If you're thinking of Lianna Lee, she is an outfitter and not a tailor. For all I know, she does take measurements herself, but she doesn't actually cut or sew the clothes.

Becky, there are a lot of lady seamstresses in NY who make men's suits. I don't know of any who are "in charge" and who measure, cut, sew and fit themselves, for their own clients. All the ones I know of work for someone else.

However, there are a few lady tailors in London, and among the next generation currently training, more of them are female than every before. When Deckard and I were in London, John Hitchcock of A&S could not stop praising one young lady that the firm is currently training.

I don't think there's anything inherent that would make it harder for a woman to make a man's suit. It's just a matter of experience. If you've never done it, a lot of things will be new to you. But if you already know how to cut and sew, you've got a hell of a head start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy