Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Akubra Banjo Patterson?

dlgilbert

New in Town
I'm eyeing up my first Akubra hat and am not really sold on the Federation, as I want a different shape than I can bash myself. Has anyone gotten a Banjo Patterson and if so, how did you like it?

Thanks for your advice!

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I have a fawn Banjo. It's fantastic. Really almost too elegant for rugged wear.

If you want a more rugged, basically similar hat, try the Lawson, which I also have and also is fantastic.

indyjim

Familiar Face
I have the Banjo Paterson in the fawn also, and I must say it is one of my
favourite hats. Very comfortable and has been wet numerous times without
suffering any ill effects. Dried fine, held its shape. I wear it with a wide variety
of clothes and jackets, leather jackets, blue jeans, chinos, etc.

art92101

One of the Regulars
Banjo Quality

The Mad Hatter said:
I have a fawn Banjo. It's fantastic. Really almost too elegant for rugged wear.

If you want a more rugged, basically similar hat, try the Lawson, which I also have and also is fantastic.
Howdy, How soft is the Banjo? I wear a 1940s capper and capper that is very soft for my outdoor birding, I wouldn't take it fishing or hunting so I don't accidently get guts or such on it, But certainly take it out for mild hiking and such.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Banjo Patterson and Lawson

I own both of these hats, the Banjo P. is in charcoal and the Lawson is fawn, both are the Heritage quality, not the regular Imperial.

The Lawson is just like the Banjo P. except it has a bound edge and has about 1/2" wider brim. Both have leather hatbands and excellent sweatbands. Neither is exactly a "church hat" but are a little too nice for me to hunt or fish with.

You can't go wrong with either one. Good luck!!!

jeboat :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Bebop

Practically Family
I have a fairly new BP and can say that so far it is one of my favorites. Great quality, tough, light, so easy to wear that I forget I have it on. You can wear it anywhere. Well, not anywhere, if you know what I mean, but pretty close. The only negative I can think of is that it should be called the Paterson or something other than Banjo Paterson. Just a strange, unreasonable phobia I have of banjo music. What, me strange?? :p

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Original poster was, I believe, looking for an open crown hat. The Akubra Squatter is a good, comparatively cheap option there. There's been another thread about it recently.

Akubra hats are a bit cheaper at www.everythingaustralian.com.au than they are at Hats Direct - shipping is also a little cheaper. I can't say for sure what their customer service is like, but they were quite helpful and forthcoming when I asked them for some info a while back - said they'd get back to me with additional details, and then actually did, which is depressingly rare these days.

www.aussiebushhats.com.au is similarly cheap.

If you're after an Akubra Federation or Federation Deluxe, then Hats Direct is the only place that sells them.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Anybody have any experience with the Akurba Longreach? The only picture of it I've seen looks sharp, but how's it feel? Is it a stiff hat? Can it handle the rain and snow as well as the others mentioned?

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Long Reach

I own a gray Long Reach. It is a fine hat for a slight man like myself. It is exactly like the Stockman except it has a bound edge, a nice touch.

I have had many compliments on the hat, I think because it goes well with my build. The felt is the same as all the other Imperial grade hats that Aklubra makes. It is of medium stiffness that softens with a lot of wear.

I don't wear my hats in the rain if I can avoid it. However, the Akubras are tough.

jeboat :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Akubra

I have a black Stockman, I got it ten year's ago and It's the hat I wear when there is a light rain or snow. It still looks like the day I got it. I wish that I did as well. ;)

Python

New in Town

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
G MAN said:
I have a black Stockman, I got it ten year's ago and It's the hat I wear when there is a light rain or snow. It still looks like the day I got it. I wish that I did as well. ;)

I was just about to ask about the Stockman. Guess now I don't have to. The more I look into Akubra, the more I like 'em.

meerschaum

New in Town
What about non-fedora Akubras?

I discovered this forum just after buying a fawn Banjo Paterson, and I'm finding it fascinating (the forum, that is). I had been lusting after Akubras for years and finally gave in; I really love the hat, but I'm also curious about the more western or Australian models, specifically the Pilbara and the Kiandra. Does anybody have any experience with these?

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran